Notices

A little help

Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dim View Post
Thank you so much for your post Hevyn. It definitely brings a lot of perspective to what's going on in my life. I truly hope it's the end of drinking for me and again I'm so grateful that there is support available.
I sure hope it doesn't take 3 days for the anxiety and palpitations to ease up but if it does it does, not giving up.
You've spent months or years drinking to deal with insecurities, three days to feel "eased up" may be a tad optimistic!~ Or maybe not, since you are young, but this crap doesn't resolve itself in a few days, usually.

I assure you that the longer you use, the longer it takes to recover. Many people are looking at months or more likely years. Three days is either wishful thinking or you are smart enough to get sober really early in the progression. I truly envy people who did that!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dim

12pm update.
Still anxious, jittery and erratic as hell. Seem to be able to be productive enough with my work but need to keep moving.. gonna hit the gym straight after work, and try to get some endorphins flowing.. Hanging on to hope that i'll start feeling normal soon.

Thanks again for the support x
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Dim...It really would be a good idea to check in with a doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous x Mine just gave me a check over and it was good to get the all clear despite still feeling crappy. If you start feeling really bad don't hesitate to go to A&E x
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dim

I appreciate you reaching out hypochondriac.
It's almost been 24 hours since my last drink and I actually feel pretty good. The palpitations and anxiety have subsided dramatically. I'm absolutely exhausted from zero sleep last night but other than that I gotta say I'm relatively comfortable. I know the journey has only just begun and I'm gonna stick it out to the very end.
Hope your feelin better as well hypochondriac, I can honestly say before this I've never really understood the disease that is alcoholism.
God bless all of you, you're beautiful people x
Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I appreciate you reaching out hypochondriac.
It's almost been 24 hours since my last drink and I actually feel pretty good. The palpitations and anxiety have subsided dramatically. I'm absolutely exhausted from zero sleep last night but other than that I gotta say I'm relatively comfortable. I know the journey has only just begun and I'm gonna stick it out to the very end.
Hope your feelin better as well hypochondriac, I can honestly say before this I've never really understood the disease that is alcoholism.
God bless all of you, you're beautiful people x
Same here! It's been 24+ hours since my last drink. Been drinking lots of water, mountain dew (for the sugar) and taking multivitamins. Just a little anxiety and irritation that's all.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Dim

Marcus don't underestimate the power of exercise. It helps in ways you can't imagine.
Good luck bro
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dim

Day 2 update
So I got through day 2.
Not as tough as day 1 but came with its own challenges. I spent a good part of the day quite irritated as found myself unable to stay still for long periods of time. Is this normal?
I also spent a great deal of time thinking about the upcoming weekend and the challenge I'll face in not heading out for a drink with my friends. I'm hoping because it's still early in the week that by the time Saturday rolls around I'll be ok with the idea but still a little nervous to say the least. Other than that the anxiety has become more manageable which is a big relief..
Once again you're support is extremely appreciated.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Im honestly very confused!! does alch really do this? iv been reading on and on in this forum about drinking problems... I'm not questioning any of your symptoms nor am i trying to be smart about it... but coming from a person who has been sober for 4 days from heroin... drinking should be a walk in the park next to it I THINK! can someone really give me details about how alchs behave and what makes them get addicted to drinking so much?... i can go on my whole life not having a drink and it wouldn't make a difference to me at a lllllllllllllllll
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey fellow Aussie, you've definately come to the right place

For me quitting alcohol has helped me think clearer and I'm able to work out what's important to me and in my life without my thoughts being chemically altered. Alcohol was clouding so much, I felt irritable often and in the end had anxiety also. All that disapeared with the booze. All the best Dim, stay off it and you'll get to know the real you again
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boott View Post
Im honestly very confused!! does alch really do this? iv been reading on and on in this forum about drinking problems... I'm not questioning any of your symptoms nor am i trying to be smart about it... but coming from a person who has been sober for 4 days from heroin... drinking should be a walk in the park next to it I THINK! can someone really give me details about how alchs behave and what makes them get addicted to drinking so much?... i can go on my whole life not having a drink and it wouldn't make a difference to me at a lllllllllllllllll
I could go my whole life without heroin and it wouldn't make a difference to me either. The only differences between addictions is the substance of choice Boott. Alcohol withdrawl can kill! And people die often, it is definately no walk in the park.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
I could go my whole life without heroin and it wouldn't make a difference to me either. The only differences between addictions is the substance of choice Boott. Alcohol withdrawl can kill! And people die often, it is definately no walk in the park.
you nailed it bro! i guess we each have our own demons to battle with and they are all as serious as the next drug! substance abuse is man kinds weakness!

what are ur symptoms?

i lost both my grand parents to alch.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Zee

Good luck Dim and Boott.

Its strange isn't it.

I have tried 2 drugs once (at different times) Cocaine and Weed. Hated both and have never used them again.

However, I nearly killed myself over extreme over-use of alcohol!

I hope both well in your recovery x
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Good luck Dim and Boott.

Its strange isn't it.

I have tried 2 drugs once (at different times) Cocaine and Weed. Hated both and have never used them again.

However, I nearly killed myself over extreme over-use of alcohol!

I hope both well in your recovery x
good u didn't mix them together u would have really been strung!
a glasss a line and a doobie is a very powerful mix never do it :P:P
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Dim

Originally Posted by Boott View Post

Boott I understand exactly where ur coming from because before going through this I couldn't have imagined in a million years that alcohol withdrawal could cause these feelings. I've heard heroin withdrawal is one of the toughest things on the planet to get through but is physical more than anything. My experience with alcohol and from what I've read on the forum alcohol withdrawal has a huge mental impact as well which is probably the toughest part of it.
Thank god for this forum.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Boott I understand exactly where ur coming from because before going through this I couldn't have imagined in a million years that alcohol withdrawal could cause these feelings. I've heard heroin withdrawal is one of the toughest things on the planet to get through but is physical more than anything. My experience with alcohol and from what I've read on the forum alcohol withdrawal has a huge mental impact as well which is probably the toughest part of it.
Thank god for this forum.
physical mental emotional! with heroin you actually let a dark passenger to sit next to you throwing everything in the back seat.. its you and your addiction... just half an hour ago i turned to my best friend who also is going thru is! I'm like i need help I'm craving bro its killing all i wanna do is ride up to the hood get a fix... right about now i can do a full bag with one blow... but we talked and we both were like its what got us here and it would be so stupid to go back after all the progress! however tonight we are gonna go party and read the post before this one! Drink snort and smoke!

i dedicate this song to you... listen to "the strong will continue" by nas and damien marely
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Dim

Hey guys haven't reached out in a bit because I thought things were getting better. Found myself downing two bottles of wine Friday night because of a failed reconcile with my gf. The next day we went to counseling together and even after things went well there and I was hopeful my relationship might be able to work out after all I still downed another bottle of wine just because of my insecurities that still exist in my relationship. We've agreed to keep seeing this counsellor to work our differences out but I still can't help but turn to the bottle whenever it becomes too much.. Just thought I'd share as its a dark day..
Old 07-14-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Dim

Looking for some love and advice guys......
Old 07-14-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol is a class IV narcotic, similar to heroin in terms of withdrawal.

try again.

you can stay stopped, too!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Zee

Sorry to hear that.
You said you were worried about Saturday, ie. going out for drinks with friends.
What happened? Alcohol may seem like the easy way out of stress and anxiety, but it is only a quick fix. The problem will still be there when you have sobered up. You will just have less money and a hangover.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Have you approached anyone for help about your drinking Dim? It must be really hard for you with your difficulties with your girlfriend but it really does help to see the drinking as a separate issue. I understand where you're at though. It really is a vicious cycle but there are ways out of it x