Notices

The magic of your support is needed again

Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The magic of your support is needed again

Hello again:

You guys were amazing when I asked for support last month while on a business trip. I knew then I would be around alcohol and heavy drinking coworkers. Each night, while on that trip, and throughout the day, I came to this board to read your words of support, encouragement and hope. I stayed sober and came back home feeling like a million bucks. We all know that feeling.

I am asking for your support once again. Today we are celebrating my mother in law's 70th birthday in my home. This party was planned months ago. Friends of her from the senior citizen center where she has volunteered for over five years have been invited. A mariachi band will serenade her and help us sing happy birthday, and a DJ will play the music she and my father in law danced to when they were dating over 50 years ago. She is very exited. Being able to do this for her gives my husband and I great satisfaction as she has always been there for us and has had a very hard life herself. All her children and adult grandchildren have contributed financially to this event.

We will be serving beer and wine only. Poison for me.

I have been sober for a little over two months now and I am over the cravings. Thoughts of drinking do pop in my head once in a while but so far I have been able to see them for what they are and dismiss them.

I am asking for your support because I know how powerful your written words will be tonight when I log on to this forum to read them.

I know I can do this, and with your help can excel at it.

Thank you. I wish you a sober day filled with life's little miracles.

Natalie
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

I was about 1 1/2 months sober when I had to attend my job's Christmas party. It took place at a Bar/Bowling establishment.
The hardest part for me was when one of my friends/co-worker asked if I wanted to help him drink his pitcher of Blue Moon, one of my favorite beers.
I was new to sobriety and hadn't told anyone I had quit at that point.
I walked to the restroom and pulled out my one month medallion, stared at it, and then read the serenity prayer on the one side, and "To Thine Own Self Be True" on the other side.
That gave me the reminder, serenity, and strength to get through the rest of the party.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get yourself some bottles of water...Get them nice and cold...Always have one in your hand throughout the evening...Nobody will ask if you need something to drink...And you won't have to ask yourself.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll do great Natalie!

Well done on 2 months!!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I use the serenity prayer alot in those times and breath. And like sapling I always have my own beverage in tow. If you start to get itchy get out and away and relax. Come back and tell us how it went for you.

Congrats on your time.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all For the suggestions. All is going well. Plenty of non alcoholic drinks for me , the kids and a few non drinkers. My father in law is 89 and enjoys non alcoholic beer. He can't drink alcohol because of his meds.

I'll check in later.

Natalie
Old 07-07-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Sometimes I dont drink cause of my meds either , I have used that line many times at places where I just didnt want to explain anything.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job, Natalie..glad it's going well. Way to go on being proactive today and not just letting things happen as they may. You reached out early, you thought ahead..that's HUGE! You're doing great, congrats on 2 months. I know you can do it, too..AND excel at it!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do a few things. Don't go or if you do go don't drink. If anyone ask then say that I'm not drinking. To the point!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Natalie,

You might make up a batch of non alcoholic punch. I've been drinking a cucumber, splash of orange juice over ice drink. It's made with sparkling water and has the cucumber slices in it with a rim of salt and Chilli powder. very nice, refreshing and no alcohol. carry a big glass with ice and keep your hand "busy.". You could put a punch bowl of the cucumber mix on the table with the garnishes on the side. Try it!

I just went to to a huge July 4 th party and no one once questioned me about what I was drinking!

Have a great time!

Love from Lenina
Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Natalie

I was there for the ride with you on the co-worker business trip and I'm here for you now. Sounds like so far, so good.

Rememeber how great you felt after the big business road trip....you'll feel even better than that tomorrow. Something special about the fact that you're with family too.

Just throwing this out there (just in case you're tempted) but in my humble opinion...stay clear of the non-alcohic beer too....leave that for Pops. I think it conjures up "drinking feelings" and there is always some measure of alcohol in those.

Oh, and remember.....you gotta be a healthy 70 year one day and enjoy your own Marachi serenade .
Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you and your family had a great time Natalie

D
Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, NatalieN, you must remember that you have a deep bench of supporters here, rooting for you like crazy!

You are justifiably proud of your success, and I know that you will be able to be mindful, able to follow your breath, able to keep your eye on the prize. The prize? The prize is being that person you know yourself to be. Best to you.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have enjoyed all your replies immensely. You guys are great. The DJ will be here for one more hour so soon this will be winding down. I haven't had a problem, there is so much else to focus on other than alcohol. One is person is on his 11th beer. He said so himself. He is loud and obnoxious and his girlfriend is so embarrassed. I feel for her. I did that so many times.

Thank you so so much.

Natalie
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Stay strong .
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Sending out love and support. Stay strong xx
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep it up Natalie. You're at the finish line.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good job Natalie! Love this:
there is so much else to focus on other than alcohol
How great is it that you can do this for your mother-in-law and enjoy it instead of having to think about how much you've had to drink or when you can get another..... Congratulations!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. It's done and over with. My feet are throbbing and my lower back is killing me. I reached the finish line sober. It's a very sweet feeling. I will clean my sticky floors tomorrow WITHOUT A HANGOVER.

Everyone had a great time. My mother-in-law was balling and so were all who love her. She suffers from trigeminal neuralgia, a horribly painful condition that comes and goes. It is also known as suicide disease because the facial pain is really unbeareable. She's had it for over 20 years, but the last couple of years have been good. Today was very special to her and she let us all know that.

Iam so grateful that by staying sober today I was able to be a good hostess and attend to the needs of a van full of senior citizens friends of her.

This is the support I was talking about. You guys came through for me again.

Take good care of yourselves and thanks again.

natalie
Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so happy that you made it. Good for you. I have an event next Saturday, the 14th that I'm starting to worry about.