Notices

Made The Big Plan

Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Made The Big Plan

Just checking in.... It's Friday.... The most challenging of days for me after Sunday afternoon.

I listened to advice from yesterday's post about the big plan requiring me to accept forever. The only forever there ever is is now. That's where I will spend my time enjoying life.

Yesterday was the day I made mine. The Big Plan.

I feel a sense of relief. Like the weight of the constant decisions we wrestle with when we have craving are already decided. All I have to do now is go about the other things I want to do.

Going to continue reading today. Keep gaining an understanding of things.

Day 6 .... I don't normally count days but I like the number.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's the plan Ken?...You're not allowed to say?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

It's an AVRT term. The acceptance and commitment to never drink again. Period.

Not dissimilar to the daily promise made in other programs.

What ever gets each of there is a good way to travel.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Yes - getting over that "I can't drink for the rest of my life??" bit was hard for me to accept also.
Now I just focus on Today with staying sober, and I plan my sobriety for tomorrow. One day at a time is all it takes. I have 6 months with working it One Day At A Time!
Congrats on 4 days!
I agree, what is your plan?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OK...It's like step one. Basically your drinking and drugging days are over. That's a good thing.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The Big Plan is a commitment to never drink again, and to never change your mind. The purpose of making a big plan is to allow the addictive voice to be recognized in all its guises. It is actually the voice that is cunning and baffling and powerful, not CH3CH2OH, that is merely some chemical. The big plan allows the recognition of the addictive voice - it makes it scream bloody murder, so that part is easy. The voice is the source of any thought of weakness in the commitment, the idea that any action is needed to stay sober, any condition is required to abstain, the concept that sobriety is only temporary - all AV, all notions that the Big Plan is impossible.

So this AV? It is not you, it is the voice of the animal inside us, the beast that always seeks pleasure and getting buzzed. But - this beast is powerless, it only has the power we choose to give it. But - there is the Big Plan, that statement of unbreakable intention and Addictive Voice Recognition, the means to keep to that promise.

The result of making a Big Plan is the immediate relief from the demands of addiction, the knowledge that all that stuff is in the past, and the euphoria of beginning a new way of life free of alcohol. The Big Plan is a deeply personal mental action, and making a Big Plan is a big deal.

Weasel, you put a great big smile on the faces of a whole bunch of people with this post today. It is a great day for you, a day that you will never forget. Thanks for sharing this event with SR, and showing the way for people looking for their own way to a secure, permanent sobriety. Well Done.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Good for you. The Big Plan is indeed a Big Deal.

Looking back, I now realize I made a Big Plan without realizing it. On day one, I told myself: "I will never drink again. Ever. Period. And I am going to keep this commitment, or die in the attempt."

Of course I did not die! But that is how seriously I took it, and still do.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know for me....To drink is to die...I don't think there is any question about that...I almost died from it. That was all the proof I needed.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I know for me....To drink is to die...I don't think there is any question about that...I almost died from it. That was all the proof I needed.
I look at it the same way. In my mind, it's like being in a gunfight. There's no second place.
There are winners, and the dead.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I listened to advice from yesterday's post about the big plan requiring me to accept forever. The only forever there ever is is now. That's where I will spend my time enjoying life.
I dunno. When I first quit, I had those creeping thoughts of "forever, really?" and I shut them down post haste. For me, I couldn't really think like that. It messed with me a lot. I really could not think of forever. Instead, I thought of today - or the week, or the weekend. Short stuff. Short goals. It worked well. My short goals are now longer. Like my upcoming birthday in August.

Now, I don't mean to say that it was a goal as in - when I get to my birthday I'll drink! I mean, I think like this: Ok, my birthday is coming up and I'll be sober! What kind of crazy fun can I have now that I don't drink?

It's a lot easier now for me to think of things far off, like Christmas, even NYE (my sobriety date!). In the beginning, those thoughts were overwhelming and led to other thoughts like (do I really need to quit?)

Good luck! Day 6 is great!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Stay on the Beam well done day 6
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've taken a decisive step Ken

D
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ken, I am so happy for you! This is a HUGE step. I look forward to never drinking again with you, and never changing our minds.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I made that decision, too, but I also know how conniving my alcoholism can be. I just didn't drink today. I focused on being in the moment (that's a process), and I was here for now. Maybe I could drink tomorrow, but I choose not to drink today. I remember more todays than I did when I was drinking. When I drank, my mind was on yesterday or on tomorrow and I missed the present, the moment I was in, the now.

It's a process. 6 days is fabulous! You can do forever, but forever begins today.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel a sense of relief. Like the weight of the constant decisions we wrestle with when we have craving are already decided. All I have to do now is go about the other things I want to do.
Totally—this is what AVRT is all about. Love that.

I know it's natural to view another person's experience/approach through our own, but to tell an AVRTer to focus on today, instead of permanent abstinence, would be akin to my telling an AAer there's no need to surrender, do the steps, or call upon a higher power. The concept of forever/never is the bedrock of AVRT. Tell an AVRTer to avoid that, and in fact you're telling them to abandon their program.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like how there is no 'but, but, but' in the AVRT way. There are no 'ifs' or 'ands' either. Just a complete personal responsibility for drinking or using, and the knowledge that drinking or using is a choice every time. These ideas make it possible to make a Big Plan: I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind. The AVRT sobriety is unconditional, secure and permanent.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I am on day 37 and the difference I have found this time is to commit to never drinking again. I never did that in the past and I never came close to kicking drinking before this. You are on the right road. I have had cravings and had my AV beat me down, but I tell it that no matter what, I am not drinking today. I will let tomorrow take care of itself when it happens, but today I refuse to drink. Be proud of the 6 day accomplishment.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck with your Big Plan. I hope it works for you. I tried AVRT and was able to quit, but my life was miserable. I needed the fellowship of other alcoholics to assist me.

Whatever works works! Congrats.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
It's an AVRT term. The acceptance and commitment to never drink again. Period.

All the best if you can stick to it, I never could.

You know you always have AA if you need it.

I truly wish you good luck.

Bob R
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think Ken knows AA is there for him if he wants to go. AVRT is his choice right now x

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly Ken! Just find your path to sobriety. Everyone has a different one x