Notices

What Keeps You Going?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I sure wouldnt say I have conquered anything but, My god does the work. But from day on it was AA and listening to others with a open mind and following the suggestions laid in front of me.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I am having an easy day (which happens more and more often now a days) then I have no problem maintaining sobriety.
When I'm having a tough day and that dang pesky AV keeps chattering away I just say to myself "just get past today. Eat dinner. Go get an espresso. Get yourself a chocolate. Go to the gym. Go do SOMETHING but do not drink. Play a game on the computer, cuddle and watch a movie with my son. Go to bed. Get some sleep. Just whatever you do do NOT succumb. Do not drink" That usually does the trick.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My life is really a lot better without alcohol. I lost ten pounds (closer to fifteen, now), have more money, have more self-respect, get more done, have way less worry and anxiety, people like me more, I look better, feel better, sleep better, exercise more, forget less important stuff, have way less chance of killing someone while I'm behind the wheel . . I'm happier, I smell better, I have more confidence . .

I could go on but you probably get the idea. Sobriety has been very good to me. Contrasting that with drinking, I can say with great accuracy that most of the bad things in my life had to do with booze.

Finally on the right track, then--why would I want to risk screwing up a good thing?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sr
Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acceptance.

If I want the kind of life I'm living now, and be the man I want to be I need to accept the reality of my relationship with alcohol and other drugs, and act accordingly

D
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

The first month?

Hope. Hope that things could be better, coupled with knowledge that continuing along the path I'd been walking would kill me.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

AA.... Knowing that I am not alone., and that many other before me have beat this thing.

Being surrounded by people who understood what I was going through and provided guidance when I needed it.

I also "played the tape to the end".... Made sure my last awful drunk remained vivid.