Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What did you do today that made you thankful for your sobriety?

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What did you do today that made you thankful for your sobriety?

I thought this might be a great topic to start and see what other people say!

Today I attempted to repair my laptop's headphone jack but was unsuccessful. I did it sober and I didn't throw a fit about it, I just closed it back up and bought some USB headphones from ebay .

The reason I'm thankful is because I could concentrate and focus on what I was doing, instead of being drunk and stupid and possibly ruining my entire laptop.

Tonight I'm cleaning out my closets and getting them reorganized, which isn't the greatest thing in the world but I'm not at a bar wasting money and being depressed.

Adding up how much I saved so far, it's almost $2,000!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Pray
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Gerb. I'm happy that you are doing so well neighbor!! :ghug3
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I managed to get through my shift at work without letting my boss know that I think he's an idiot.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Take care of my kid. Nuff said about that.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got a 100 on my astronomy exam. If I was drinking I probably wouldn't have studied and made a c or d
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did a good job at work, I helped people solve problems and get closer to peace (they probably just moved on to the next stress-inducer, but I can't fix the world all at once).

After work, I got home and worked out for an hour, gotta keep the streak alive! Did not run today, but heat index is over a hundred and I could use a day off my feet anyway.

Tomorrow's Friday! Think of all the wonderful things you can do on the weekend! I'm pretty sure that sober days actually have more hours than their alcohol-soaked counterparts.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Went to 2 meetings today.

God it's great to be old and retired !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was able to bond with some guys at fellowship after a meeting, chow down on a burger and cheese fries, have some laughs and not have any major regrets for the day.

My days have been really rough lately and I haven't made them worse by taking a drink.

Thank you God.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sarge

Was able to to some long overdue stuff around the house, fixed a doorknob and other odds and ends.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was able to go to my follow-up dr appt after my month-of-june-from-hell where I had withdrawals, pneumonia, and landed in the ER. Today, sober and feeling much healthier, the doctor told me I'm doing great, lost weight, bp much better, give my body time, keep up the good work with recent better food choices and exercise, and maybe I won't need to stay on hypertension meds forever. That's never been an option when I drank. Yay! Dr was optimistic and I sure know it never was that way when I drank. Oh, btw, something else I can do now that I'm sober is think more clearly. It wasn't so taxing today. Super thankful!!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I drove to the store after noon.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Paid bills and worked out, neither which I would have done while drinking.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I'm awake without a hangover.
I'm about to drive to work without worrying i might be over the drunk driving limit.
I do'nt have any bruises on my person that are unacounted for.
I feel confident that i haven't broken anything in my house, sent nasty e-mails, left food in the oven to get burned or been unreasonable to my family.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had a super-crappy day. So I was very grateful to not be drinking, which would have turned a bad day into a horror show.

<--- popcorn for the horror show! haha
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

love the popcorn emoticon! Yay for you, sam I am, to be able to put a positive spin on a blech day.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello Exploring! Hope you're doing well also .

Great replies! I love them.

I am thankful today that after my alarm went off I could get up out of been almost instantly. I always use to drag myself out of bed after a night of drinking.

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I haven't broken anything in my house, sent nasty e-mails, left food in the oven to get burned or been unreasonable to my family.
I've done all of the above while drinking. I left food in the oven over night once... That could of turned out so much worse.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerbosko View Post
I thought this might be a great topic to start and see what other people say!

Today I attempted to repair my laptop's headphone jack but was unsuccessful. I did it sober and I didn't throw a fit about it, I just closed it back up and bought some USB headphones from ebay .

The reason I'm thankful is because I could concentrate and focus on what I was doing, instead of being drunk and stupid and possibly ruining my entire laptop.

Tonight I'm cleaning out my closets and getting them reorganized, which isn't the greatest thing in the world but I'm not at a bar wasting money and being depressed.

Adding up how much I saved so far, it's almost $2,000!
Almost made it a whole day without anxiety. Only been 2 days since my last drink so of course the night hits and BOOM anxiety came back.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cool OMG the weekend!

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
I did a good job at work, I helped people solve problems and get closer to peace (they probably just moved on to the next stress-inducer, but I can't fix the world all at once).

After work, I got home and worked out for an hour, gotta keep the streak alive! Did not run today, but heat index is over a hundred and I could use a day off my feet anyway.

Tomorrow's Friday! Think of all the wonderful things you can do on the weekend! I'm pretty sure that sober days actually have more hours than their alcohol-soaked counterparts.
I think that's going to be one of my biggest challenges is how in the world am I going to make it through the weekend nights without booze? I mean weekends mean party right? Oh boy! Why is it so difficult to just be normal and not drunk?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Woke up early, and knocked out some work.