SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   When I drink I become a Monster. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/261583-when-i-drink-i-become-monster.html)

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 09:42 AM

When I drink I become a Monster.

When I drink I am a monster.

I consider myself to be a calm, collected, and well spoken individual. I am able to operate in society and constantly be on a positive vibe. I am proud of my skills, accomplishments and I have a loving family. I have a son who I love and spend time with regularly. My career is starting to really take off and i have nice things and a loving girlfriend who I adore. I could loose this all when I drink.

I dont drink often, but when I drink It drink it all.

Alcohol and I dont get a long. From the beginning my very first drink terrible things have happened. Alcohol and I have a awful relationship. When I drink I become a monster. My character shifts and my behavior becomes obnoxious. I have skimmed close to severe injury maybe death, had medical issues, and waisted days to being sick. I have misrepresented my character and ruined relationships. I become someone nobody wants to be around. I say things that offend others, I speak more and more loudly. I black out and dont remember a thing. Worst of all I am an angry drunk and I am not willing to control myself. I am none of these things when ia m sober.

I consider myself to be very lucky that I have not been killed, or jailed for what I have done while being intoxicated. If I continue to drink. I know that something terrible will happen. I can not go on living like this.

I have asked myself, why do I drink, and I have come to the conclusion that I drink to let go. Like a cutter cuts one self. I release. I must stop self medicating and find a healthy and proactive emmotional vent.

I believe it starts with not drinking ever again.

Today is the day. I say good riddance to a foe of my mine. I will not risk my life anymore. I will no longer let this monster out of its cage. I am not going to live in fear.

The solution is simple. Today I stop drinking. one day at a time. For the rest of my life.

I know that the monster within me will always be there, but without alcohol I am in control, not the monster. I am the only one who holds the key and I will keep it safe.

I look forward to my future and this journey of sobriety and accepting that I have a problem.. I feel that because I am a binge drinker I have been able to dodge alcaholism, I accept the fact that I am a problem drinker and move on. My abuse stops here.

Thank you for reading my post.

WaterMan12

Live2Run25 07-05-2012 09:48 AM

Welcome waterman! You are doing a great thing. That son and that girlfriend are way more important than drinking on any level. You can do this. All of here at SR have got your back! =)

doggonecarl 07-05-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by WaterMan12 (Post 3475083)
The solution is simple. Today I stop drinking. one day at a time. For the rest of my life.

Bravo! Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Hunter101 07-05-2012 09:54 AM

Good Luck!!!!

IndaMiricale 07-05-2012 09:57 AM

Welcome aboard many people suffer the Jekel and Hyde. And how ever you want to classify yourself is up to you, but being alcoholic is being a problem drinker.

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 09:57 AM

@live2run25 @doggonecarl @Hunter101 Thank you!!

shadowboxer 07-05-2012 10:00 AM

You are an inspiration to me, as I am trying to go one day at a time without a single drip of alcohol and having trouble. Good for you, and thank you for telling us your story!

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 10:00 AM

@indamiricale Thank you. When I drink I am a problem which utimately I have controll of so I am abusing, over and over again, making problems. I am definetly an alcaholic.

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 10:04 AM

@ShadowBoxer Thank you!! The truth is I know I am an alcaholic, and I can not be ignorant to the signs anymore. I feel like I am being shady and the person I am being shady to is myself.

marcusva79 07-05-2012 10:38 AM

Same here when I drink I DRINK it all. I know I cant survive if I got a 18pack and just let is sit there. I want to still drink but be a social one and control it know when to stop. So I am telling myself I will only buy 6 from now one. Being hungover takes away from family and my little girl. As said before they are more important.

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 12:03 PM

@marcusva79 I have tried many times to just drink a couple beers and have done it successfully, but more oftenly I have drank past just 2-3 drinks and completly became the monster. Its just not worth it anymore. I will not compramize with the monster.. because over time I know it will win. This is why I am here.

Stevie1 07-05-2012 12:10 PM

WaterMan, welcome and congrats to you for acknowledging a problem with your drinking!
If it's a problem now, it simply will not improve over time, so you are wise to quit while you are still ahead.

artsoul 07-05-2012 12:26 PM

Welcome Waterman!

Good for you for making this decision!!:c011: I never was able to drink responsibly either. We just don't have an "off switch" like most people - a few drinks only makes us crave more and more.

I decided I can only be "the best I can be" without alcohol in my life. It's a good feeling!

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 12:26 PM

@stevie1 Thank you and I agree! I have the disease and it will continue to creciendo until an end and an End is inevitable but one from alcaholism can be prevented. Its my choice and I just made the right choice. not to drink.

Now I am ready for the addictions creepy voice to tell me its ok and I will say NO.

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 12:31 PM

@artsoul Thank you. Like you my drinking "switch" is definetly broken and or completly missing.

soberbrooke 07-05-2012 12:45 PM

I can''t just have one drink, I will drink everything you have and then I will want more.

The only thing that helped me was the fellowship of AA. Its a good place to start. When there are 5-10 other alcoholics all trying to stay sober, there is strength in numbers. I also got me a sponsor after my 2nd meeting this time around. I work with my sponsor every chance I get. I love the way she can turn my stinking thinking into a way that I can understand it.

CarolD 07-05-2012 04:01 PM

I too use AA for my successful life without alcohol.
It's been an awesome adventure for me....and can be for anyone...:yup:

We have many SR members winning over alcohol...some do
not follow any specific method concept or program.
Me? I have no plans on ever leaving AA.

Congratulations on facing reality and hope you make whatever changes
that will continue to keep you moving forward...:yup:

My best to you...your son and girl friend

WaterMan12 07-05-2012 04:26 PM

@soberbrooke @carolD Thank you for your support. I plan on attending AA.. There are many meetings in my area. There is power in numbers. I dont have to do this alone. It would be great to get a sponsor of some sort. A binge drinker like me. Someone who has been successful in managing the addiction and who would share tools to suppress this darn disease.

In the past I have attended AA, but I didn't do it for the right reasons. I went thinking that I could drink socially and I just needed to slow down, but now 3-4 years later I am sure that slowing down is not the answer. I still get weird.

Sapling 07-05-2012 04:30 PM

You seem like you have a pretty good handle on what's going on Waterman...I don't know if you've read the Big Book of AA....But if you read the Doctors Opinion and Pages 1 through 43 it deals with the first step of the program. I couldn't believe how much I saw myself in there...Here it is if you want to take a look at it. Glad to have you here and good luck on your sober journey!

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous

Innerchild 07-05-2012 04:43 PM

Welcome. You arent alone it turns me into a monster too. I am pretty calm in my every day life but if I touch alcohol I become Satan. I hate alcohol