Notices

I was craving the atmosphere

Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I was craving the atmosphere

As many of you know, I went to an old hangout yesterday called Wolfies. It is on the lake I live at.

I only stayed an hour, had water, went with a girlfriend that has 16 months of sobriety, and sat at the end of the table with her, her husband and his mother. They were not drinking as well.

My sponsor, who has been sober since 1975, told me that we had no business being there. It was a glorified ice-house and we are both so new in our sobriety that being there was asking for trouble.

I have been on a boat once, to an AA BBQ yesterday, and then to Wolfies yesterday, these are the only 3 three times in the last 6 months that I have been social. The only one that she approves of is the BBQ, because it was with people from the AA program.

After we started talking, I finally got what she was saying. I was craving the atmosphere that I use to love. I was craving the band, the happy looking people, the way that I felt when going into those places.

I am new to sobriety and these places are not in my best interests at this time, and according to her, they should only be gone to for business related events.

She reminded me that in the BB it says that "there will come a time when we are powerless over our first drink" or something like that. I have got to keep that fresh in my mind. She has almost 40 years of sobriety, I have 6 months, so she is right, what the heck do I know about this disease??

I am still learning about alcoholism and addictions, and I can see that I will still be learning tomorrow. I have got to keep my EGO in check, and keep with the Will of my Higher Power if I am going to make it in this sobriety world.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

Soberbrooke, my sponsor said it best, I was also addicted to the chaos.

It was hard for me to give all that up. It took me 3 years to finally get that I had to change people, places, and things. Which meant I had to find new friends, new places to go, and new things to do. I had no idea I would find real friends in AA.

It is common for us to want to be in social settings. I don't know about where you live, but here it seems there is always an AA BBQ going on somewhere.

Keep going to meetings, keep in contact with your sponsor, and keep praying!!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just got a year..And I learn from you everyday...Keep at it!!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats Sapling.

And wonderful post sb way to listen to your tools and use them. Go sponsor go.