Notices

It's been about an hour, lol.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been about an hour, lol.

Let me preface by saying I started drinking because I keep getting my schedule boomeranged around, from 12 am one day to 6 am another day. I needed to fall asleep pretty much whenever I was told.
Things evolved. I took 2 beers and 2 sleeping pills, then 4. Then 8. Then I started getting a beergut, so I switched to rum. I became less able to handle stress. I have kind of neurotic tics that have been manifesting lately. I'm less able to hide my addiction from my friends, family, and coworkers to the point that it's essentially common knowledge now that I'm a functional alcoholic at work; and I keep getting less functional as time goes on.
I haven't seen my family in weeks. When my S/O comes over I take out at least two trashbags of beercans before he gets there. I've just told him about this like a half an hour ago and he was very supportive. I'm afraid of how my body will react to adjusting without liquor and of how I will manage to sleep enough for work now that I don't have an off switch for my consciousness.
Any advice you guys have about any of this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kitsuneboi

If you've been drinking a lot, regularly and for a long time I definitely recommend you see a Dr. Detox can be tricky for some of us.

You can also ask about your sleep problem, although in my experience my body adjusted to normal sleep patterns within a couple of weeks.

good to have you here

D
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kitsuneboi

I used the alcohol helps me sleep excuse my whole life, when in actual fact I had no problems sleeping before I started drinking! And it really doesn't help you feel rested. The first week I quit (after 12 years of daily drinking) I had restless sleep, and since then I have slept like a baby. If I feel a bit restless though usually a hot bath and some lavender helps.

I would recommend that you have a chat with your doctor if you are planning on quitting cold turkey.

Things do get much better once you're sober and I'm sure you'll get lots of help here.

p.s. I like your buddy christ x
Old 07-07-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well as you see if you been drinking for some time a doctor really makes the detox safe and much more tolerable.

As for myself I drink to wake up , stay awake , get things done, then to pass out. It was a long long road. But today it truly is so much easier doing anything. The old saying was so true for me---- If I would put half as much energy in my sobriety as I did drinking I will have no problem.

You can be free also.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been drinking maybe a year or two, almost every day.
How bad is quitting going to be? Unbearable?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to the forums. I second (or third or fourth...wherever we are now) the "go see a doctor." Do you have a plan on how you're going to stay sober? Many of us have found our path to sobriety using a 12 step program. I use AA. I'm not the religious type but it's worked for me. There's a strong spirituality aspect to it and if that's not your deal some forum members here can recommend other programs that work well. Hope you find the help and support you need here.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pretty much everything I was going to say has been said (see a doctor, your sleeping will get better over time, etc) but I just wanted to welcome you to SR - it's a great place to be. Just being here is SUCH a great help with staying sober. I wish you all the best with your recovery.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kitsuneboi View Post
Any advice you guys have about any of this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Yes, stop making excuses to drink.

Do you want to quit or not? Excuses are not reasons to drink.. You're making excuses up so you CAN drink and feel like you're doing it for a good reason (hello alcoholic voice!).

Originally Posted by excuses to drink
because I keep getting my schedule boomeranged around

I needed to fall asleep pretty much whenever I was told

I became less able to handle stress

I have kind of neurotic tics that have been manifesting lately
As others have said, a doctor is a great place to start if you're scared about detox.