Notices

My Trigger

Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Trigger

I work all day. On the way home i stop at the store and grab an Ice Cold 24oz.. As soon as I taste it, Im done!! Stop at next store and buy a 12 pack for when I get home. Getting worse. If I dont stop at the store, then I start dwelling on it and stop at the next store. Sucks..
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Hunter, welcome! I understand what you're saying, completely! I have the same trigger. After a long stressful day at work I'm driving home and the urge to stop intensifies as I get closer. It is a real struggle to fight those cravings. 10/10 I usually stop. I'm on day 6 today, without stopping, I credit the support from this site and my determination to fight this thing. You can do it too!

Even though I'm only on day 6, I already feel as though I'm on the other side, the sober side of life.

Stick around, share and let this be all consuming for you. We have ALL been there, we help each other and it truly is a special thing going on here!

Once again, welcome
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks FancyFace! Im gonna try and go straight home tonight! Try being the key word! LOL!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! You can do it! And although I'm not full of wisdom in this department, others will tell you about other support systems such as AA and such. I have not been using any resources other than my own will power and the support here but have you sought outside help of any kind? Talked to your Dr etc? I will let the "veterins" she'd some light on those subjects. Good luck Hunter, I'm here if you need to talk
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This I did for so many years. It was so tiring. The thing I eventually learnt was that you can't have a rational argument with your addiction. I would set of home with no intention of drinking and by the time I got there I'd have beer in my hand! Once I stopped engaging with that voice that told me to drink and just told it 'I don't drink', then I could move on. If you haven't already it might be worth looking into AVRT. That effectively neutralised those thoughts for me.

Welcome to SR Hunter x
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hunter - that was my routine as well.... You can stop it, I believe in you.

Are you ready to do whatever it takes to do so ? I stayed in that vicious cycle until I really got honest with myself and decided enough is enough...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
This I did for so many years. It was so tiring. The thing I eventually learnt was that you can't have a rational argument with your addiction. I would set of home with no intention of drinking and by the time I got there I'd have beer in my hand! Once I stopped engaging with that voice that told me to drink and just told it 'I don't drink', then I could move on. If you haven't already it might be worth looking into AVRT. That effectively neutralised those thoughts for me.

Welcome to SR Hunter x
Thx! I got the same problem, no intention of drinking and then bam! Beer in hand!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I've experienced the 'no intentions' of drinking phenomenon and then in an instant change my mind and drink. It used to drive me crazy until I understood how addiction works and how to treat it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

The Wine store on the way home was always a trigger for me. If I made it past it, I often would turn around and go back or go back that evening. Once I committed to not drinking, I drove right past it and don't think about it. Have you committed to not having a drink anymore? Do you have a plan to deal with this trigger like AA?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I see a therapist once a week for anxiety and alcohol is a big part of it. I was doing great for a while, but in the last several months, just fell apart! The therapist is fantastic and I listen and understand. BUT!! That danm store, like duane I can drive by it but always find myself there.
@zencat It does drive me nuts!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And I cant have JUST ONE!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We gotta keep on keepin' on!

I drink when I'm lonly, which having a lot of social anxiety, happens alot. One of my trigers is when it's getting close to 9 at night and the liquor store is about to close. I find if I just ride it out, once 9 rolls around I feel like I've won a battle --a small one-- but every sober night is a victory. I had a psychology professor who said, "The biggest predictior of what we'll do tomorrow is what we do today, and what we do today is most infuenced by what we did yesterday.'' Break the pattern. We gotta ride it out. Good luck, man!

Last edited by Curtis; 07-05-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Keep your participation here at SR up. As you see there is much experience here to draw on. That can give you movation and strength to move past alcohol use.

Here's a recovery too I think will be a help to you; If I buy this, what is likely to happen? . I know for me, the more conscious I am about my decisions the greater control I will have with them. Addiction is sneaky, its good to shine the light of awareness on it.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We gotta keep on keepin' on!

That was an awesome link, Zencat!