Notices

Question re: physical/mental changes @ day 5

Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question re: physical/mental changes @ day 5

Hello. I'm on day 5 w/out alcohol and wanted to see if anyone was experiencing or had experienced muscle & joint pain? Also, my conversations with everyone are strained. Just don't feel like talking, or I'm kinda spaced out when I do.

I've done a ton of cooking & cleaning, and I walked 4 miles today...duh, that could be it, but this actually started several days ago. Maybe before I even quit. I know that I am probably still dehydrated, but I'm trying to drink plenty of liquids like tea, water, gatorade. (My doctor actually told me not to exercise and to rest, but I cannot stay still without thinking too much.)

Just a little background. I've tried over the past ten, fifteen, twenty years to stop drinking. I've made it 16 days once and then I think 20 or plus days another time. This time it feels really different. I am so fed up with feeling like I'm on my deathbed on a daily basis, and I'm worried about the damage that I'm doing to my body...self destruction, self medication, etc.

If anyone can share, what phsycial/mental changes that they experienced at day 5, I would appreciate it! Just want to know what others have gone through to get there in that better place w/out alcohol.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was pacing around like a mad man. I couldn't keep my mind on one subject for very long and I couldnt sleep well at all. You're still really early in recovery. A few more weeks will make a world of difference. And a few more months will be even better.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm impressed that you walked so far this early.
Do keep your doctor aware of what you are doing
Ask why he warned you..

It took me about 2 months to get back in balance...
I too was a long time drinker and then at 53 quit and
found my way into AA recovery
That is my better place that you mentioned....

Yes...part of my de tox symptoms were body aches.
Warm baths and showers helped a lot.

Welcome to SR.......Good to see you here
Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 5 was the start, for me, of feeling really awful, especially stomach cramps. Everyone's different. I've also had that deep, awful pain, especially my legs. A week later I found I was very dehydrated and had pneumonia, even though I'd thought I was drinking a lot of water (and had no idea I had pneumonia 'til that trip to the ER). If you continue to feel like that, please let your doctor know. Good news is as time passes you should feel so much better! Keep it up!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I would be inclined to blame the 4 mile walk especially since your body isn't in good enough shape right now for much exercise. I had general muscle pain my first week or so but it was usually because i'd banged myself up in one way or another. Be gentle with yourself. Force yourself to rest if you have to. Start getting used to doing other things to distract yourself. Maybe reading or coloring (two of my personal favorites). Give your body a break.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My body and mind hurt the first week. You are probably on the right path with your doc, maybe B vitamin supplement? Otherwise sleep is great, when you can. It does get better. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had joint pain in early recovery, it is fairly common but not common enough to be listed as a withdrawal symptom.

Be careful with from tea - too much caffeine - until you are completely detoxed. I'd say at least another week. Same for coffee and sodas obviously.

Have you looked at AA, RR, Smart or any other recovery programs?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I used and abused AA! I talked about all of my feelings that i was having, and they accepted them all. I felt the same way as you. A roller coaster of emotions, that I am still riding, after 6 months of sobriety.
They told me that it could take 2 years before I start to feel completely normal!!

I also post them in here, I believe that my Higher Power works through all of you, and that when I post, God is speaking through you. I take what i can see at the moment, knowing it is God speaking.

I only wish that I had the exercise bug in me!! I don' want to exercise, but I know it would make me feel so much better at times!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so new to this forum stuff and I hope that I reply or post correctly. Thank you all so very much for the advice. I am so glad I found this site. I'm on day 6 and feeling better physically today. I used the heating pad last night! and finally fell asleep at 2 a.m.!

Struggled more today with emotions. Got mad several times throughout the day at work and this evening right when I got home from work. Just ranting under my breath, but I could feel the anger building...then my thoughts turned to if I could have a drink I would feel so much better. But, that sounded ridiculous to me because I have almost made another day! I also had access to it through an event I was at later this evening and I declined due to dieting, exercise, work tomorrow, etc. I will need to pray for this weekend and the coming weeks because I know a lull will come around and my guard will be down.

One thing I noticed tonight is it is amazing when you are one of the few who is not drinking. I noticed how many sips or swigs people took and how many times they got up to get another drink, and how I was starving for food and they all wanted to drink. I know it's not healthy to expose myself in this type of environment, but this was something I couldn't miss tonight; however, I was really glad to leave. I just hate feeling that way though. I don't want to be a downer.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

It was the emotional and mental anguish that still lingered at day 5 for me always. The physical stuff I could deal with, but it was peace of mind I needed really. I would have my laptop open to this site with the TV on to keep my mind distracted for days and nights of sleeplessness. Time is really the only remedy.