Notices

I need words of encouragement

Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I need words of encouragement

I am a new to this board and I am happy i found this website. I have been drinking for as long as i can remember. I have had some clean time, but always found a way to relapse. Well this time around it happened again, I had gotten sober on 03/05/2012 only to relapse on 06/21/2012 almost 4 months into it. Now reasons why can be varied. But I find stress is a big trigger and my life at the moment is full of it. I will be short and to the point. I live in florida and I have a 17 yr old daughter that until last week found out she was pregant. I am a single dad and lets just say our lives hasnt been the best. Now I know that she wont be the first or the last 17 yr old to get pregant, but I was just not expecting it. I also have my baby sister (well she is 26) and her 3 kids living with me as well. My apartment is only 2 bedrooms and as you can see its full. I work full time, many hours at times to stay away from the chaos at home. I feel like I have no space. But I am trying to get her back on her feet, but its been difficult. It has been one rollercoaster ride after another. And I just could not take it. I dont go to meetings, instead I went to my local bar and started to drink, using my daughter and my sister as an excuse. I felt that I deserved to drink because of all my bs at home. That bender lasted all the way till tuesday am. I missed work for 4 days. I feel horrible, i hate my self for doing it and now I can bounce back out of this depression. Please if anyone can relate to this I would appreciate any words of wisdom or encouragement.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your struggles, your story sounds like many others around here. I'm very new myself here so I don't have a lot of words of wisdom for you, yet but you will find tons of support, tips and tricks from people at various stages of recovery. Step 1 is reaching out, in your case. So bravo. Stick around and gain some insight. It's a bumpy road for sure but by far not out of reach!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR stressismyenemy.....Two Things....

Don't beat yourself up...
And you can get out of this...We'll help you.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm been through many, many relapses myself. You can always pick yourself up and keep trying. Unfortionately drinking is what we do... A relapse can be devastating, but will only stay that way if you don't get back on track.

You can do it. Stick around here for awhile please.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Stress... sorry you are going through all of this. I can imagine it must be very difficult having all of that commotion at home when all you want to do is relax. Through my experience all I can suggest, because it's working for me, is to get to meetings. You will find that they are places where people can relate to what you are going through. Plus it will keep you away from the house. Then when people ask you to fellowship (go get coffee or food after) GO!. I cannot stress that enough. Even if you don't want to just go for a bit... start talking to others and get some numbers that you can call. My experience is that when I tried to do it myself I would always relapse.
Best of luck to you and feel free to PM me anytime if you have specific questions.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stressismyenemy View Post
I dont go to meetings,

I would appreciate any words of wisdom .
You might start going to meetings.... and get a sponsor.

How did you get all these people under your roof?
Is your daughter in school?

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I can relate just like so many. You proved you can get sober, so now you might think about a plan of recovery. Its much more than just not drinking. I use AA and would not be around without it.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I hope that you decide to live a sober life, and you will find lots of support here. Your daughter is really going to need her Dad now, more than ever. Is there any way for your sister and her 3 children to move out into their own place? Is she working or looking for work? It's good of you to help her out, but not to the point of making yourself drink. There's a good chance your depression will lift as you begin to recover.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i cant relate to you pesonally but i can relate to your daughter. i was pregnant at 17 and the dad buggered off. in my opinion its too young to be pregnant and she may struggle so shes going to need your full support when the baby has arrived. through having a child at a young age i spiralled out of control and i thank the family around me for being there as im sure my son would have been took off me had i been alone. i wish you all the best and i hope your grandchild gives you the strength to not drink as believe me your grandchild will probablys need you to be a big part of their life
Old 07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I had to put my sobriety first. I had to go to meetings. I had to get out of my will and get back into the Will of God. It is the only thing that worked for me.

If I am not sober, then how in the world am I going to take care of my family?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

To deal with my alcoholism...I found AA and it's worked great for me.

With sobriety my depression lifted rather quickly
and I could make clear positive decisions and follow thru....

Please do re start your sobreity...many of us took awhile before
we learned how to stay sober Yes! you too can win over alcohol

Welcome to SR...
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Life happens. I gave every reason under the sun to drink. Now is the time to be loving and happy. You aren't alone in your struggles, that's been happening for, well, many many moons now.

Have you read about any recovery programs? Read the book Alcoholics Anonymous? It's online. SMART, Rational Recovery, AVRT, and other programs are also available. Stick around here, we are a great additional support!!

You can stay stopped. It's not always easy, but it's doable!

Glad you are here!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm sorry to here about how rough things have gotten for you. There's not much more I can add to what the good folks here already have said, just know that you are not alone here and keep in touch, there is a ton of support and experience on this forum. Stay positive and visit often, you will find many inspirational stories and good vibes here.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome! It's great that you recognize the excuses as just what they are. Excuses. I'm sorry to hear about the rough times you're going through. Just remember that alcohol isn't the tool that got you out of any of those hard times. It only digs the hole deeper. You have to find something else you can turn to when times get rough. Some people exercise, some people meditate...personally i read when i need to destress. We have to find some other tool to turn too when we would have once turned to alcohol. I come here a lot too to post and read. This is an excellent place. We just have to make sure we come here before we go to the bar or liquor store.