Notices

Happy Independence Day!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Happy Independence Day!

If you live in the US, today is the day we celebrate our historic independence from rule by the British Empire. Our forefathers were adamant that we should be free from the tyranny of British rule, enjoy religious freedoms, and demanded that we not be taxed without representation.

We are now the closest of allies with Great Britain, but were the fiercest of enemies during the Revolutionary War.

In many ways the characteristics of our country's freedom assimilates our search for freedom from addiction. First, we had to resolve ourselves that the way things were was not right. Second, we had to make a plan for change. Finally, the most difficult step of executing change was upon us. This third step is where we are waging a war of sorts to effect change. It is wrought with casualties. We deny ourselves the indentured servitude that alcohol and drugs had us beheld to. We make every attempt to break the spell that was cast over us. We drew a line in the sand and defined our enemies, whether they be people, places or things that fed our habits. Then, we organized our thoughts to build a new life, free from the rule of addiction.

Once under way, this new life is often full of zest and vigor, and we see rapid results. Then, if we aren't careful to keep growing and remain cognizant of our enemy, we can experience the dangers of complacency. So, we seek the help of others and/or our higher power, whom I call God. In my view, that's when the real growth adventure starts. We are forging new ground, making ourselves stronger than our addictions, day by day. In time, the power of addiction over our lives is eradicated. We are independent.

I thank God for the gift of independence from addiction for eleven months, as of this coming Saturday. And I thank SR as my ally in this victory over addiction.

I hope this Independence Day, whether you are American or not, will be celebrated for your independence from your addictions!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy 4th of July to all my American Friends. :day6

Enjoy your day.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy 4th to you as well. I'm grateful for living in this country, having a president who is trying his damndest to make things better, and for a good career & family. Gotta go to the farm stand and buy sweetcorn to grill over some charcoal. Have a good holiday all.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....America!

Wishing everyone the freedom and joy of recovery...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Zee

Merry 4th-ulations
I find all this British Colonialism stuff a bit greedy! A bit before my time though.
Anyhoo... have a lovely time and keep your pets indoors (I've heard it gets a bit fireworky there)

Just another boring old wednesday over here in Blighty x
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Happy Fourth to our American friends. I know that many of them subscribe to the AA model of addiction. To those who do, and also to those who do not, Happy Independence Day.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Happy Birthday to
Old 07-04-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy independence day from across the big pond
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well said and encouraging!