SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Inspiration for those lurking and thinking about quitting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/261416-inspiration-those-lurking-thinking-about-quitting.html)

auden67 07-03-2012 06:23 PM

Inspiration for those lurking and thinking about quitting

This week, I accepted a position at a new job that I KNOW I wouldn't have had the guts to take a risk on two months ago. I wouldn't have thought I could do it. I wouldn't have thought I deserved it.

I now know I do, that I am responsible for my own welfare within my control, and that I can be my biggest cheerleader. I can accept my failings, and importantly, be grateful and confident in the successes, however large or small.

If anyone has questions about whether or not you should take action, the answer is probably yes. I wish Id taken these steps three years ago when I first found this site. But, I'm grateful I'm here now. And you will be too. Not many people log in and think the opposite. :)

Anna 07-03-2012 06:39 PM

Auden, what a wonderful post.

I'm a firm believer that we are right where we should be. Perhaps things would not have come together for you three years ago, the way they are now. :)

freshstart57 07-03-2012 06:42 PM

Auden, love the attitude. Personal responsibility, determination, confidence then success. You do deserve it, and you can have it. You now have the proof! This feeling can be addictive, I'm just saying. Congratulations to you.

Notmyrealname 07-03-2012 07:00 PM

Congrats on the new job! Amazing how much of a lift in self-esteem and confidence you get when you start living the sober life, huh? For me it was a big thing to finally be back in line with the values my parents taught me. It is a big relief to feel like a son my parents can be proud of, and not some drunken buffoon.

I have not changed jobs yet but thinking about it after summer, we'll see how that goes.

Dee74 07-03-2012 08:41 PM

awesome Auden :scoregood

D

copperfield 07-03-2012 08:45 PM

WAY TO GO AUDEN!!! AND THANKS FOR SHARING, WAS A NEEDED READ FOR ME :ghug3

CarolD 07-03-2012 08:54 PM

Good to see you are moving forward..:yup:
Welcome back to SR

auden67 07-03-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 3472763)
Auden, what a wonderful post.

I'm a firm believer that we are right where we should be. Perhaps things would not have come together for you three years ago, the way they are now. :)

I believe so too. Sometimes its hard to see the silver lining in some of those dark moments, but they were waiting to shine through. :)

auden67 07-03-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname (Post 3472789)
Congrats on the new job! Amazing how much of a lift in self-esteem and confidence you get when you start living the sober life, huh? For me it was a big thing to finally be back in line with the values my parents taught me. It is a big relief to feel like a son my parents can be proud of, and not some drunken buffoon.

I have not changed jobs yet but thinking about it after summer, we'll see how that goes.

I think that's a wonderful point, being the best person you were raised to be. And I think the beautiful thing about the clarity and confidence of sobriety is being able to weigh opportunities, whether to move, stay or wait. It's a whole new world up there in my head. I don't take it for granted though. Still something I commit to each and every day. :)

auden67 07-03-2012 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 3472767)
Auden, love the attitude. Personal responsibility, determination, confidence then success. You do deserve it, and you can have it. You now have the proof! This feeling can be addictive, I'm just saying. Congratulations to you.

Thanks! And you are right, the feeling is addictive, and I'm happy to indulge it with a lot of gratitude in my heart.

sissy07 07-03-2012 10:26 PM

You ROCK!