Notices

I don't know what to do

Old 07-07-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

For me, honey and chocolate was a good starting point. I am now having to work on those 20 extra pounds that I put on, but I have already lost 8 of them. I now drink 3 ounces of Welches grape juice mixed with one ounce of water before every meal and before bedtime. It really balances out my natural sugars and helps me to loose weight. It is an Edgar Cayce reading and that is what is working for me.
I had the shakes so bad, but that was about it. I didn't go through any other major withdrawals. Only you and your doctor know your body and the extent of your drinking habits.
Mine was every night either a bottle of wine or two, or 15-20 beers every night since I was 15ish. I am not sure why I didn't have all the other withdrawals that everyone else had, except for the fact that I went into Holistic Healing modalities as a teenager. When I was in my early 20's I learned Reiki, Body Alignment Technique and M.A.P. Medical Assistance Program. I also used castor oil packs on my abdomen. Maybe these things that I did (and still do) saved me from damaging myself too much, but I am not sure. Only nature and my Higher Power know that!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Being a high-functioning, introverted addict makes the decision to change ever-more difficult, or so has been my experience. We're able to "manage" our work and therefore justify continued use because on the surface things are working, at least to the point we think we can keep using. The introversion complicates matters even more because we think our way around everything and put up a wall wherein no-one can reach us.

It may be you don't find what you're looking for in a group setting, though the support of others can be helpful, if you allow it, which at this point you don't. Essentially it is a personal decision to change your ways, despite anything anyone else might say, suggest, or offer.

What worked for me wasn't therapy or treatment or anything anyone external could offer. It was the realization that the drugs had a serious hold on me, distracting me from what life really had to offer. They suppress and sap life from you, they make you sick. A counselor suggested I just give abstinence a try. Just try it for 2 months he said. Which to me sounded impossible. If at the end of 2 months I wanted to go back to using, that would be my choice, I was of course free to do as I choose. He assured me I would not want to return to habitual use.

He was right. I had to be willing to try. Knowing it was, truly, MY choice, not anyone else's, offered me something, I suppose the control I felt I needed to make such a choice. Nothing external will help you. You need to decide your own path.

Best to you.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for your poignant message about detoxing and sharing your experience. I was worried for you after reading that you detoxed several times within a short period - glad you didn't have any serious symptoms this time around. And kudos on seeing your doc.

In addition to CBT and AVRT, something that has helped me a great deal is practicing "mindfulness." A lot of therapists these days (from what I've read) are finding it to be especially helpful in treating addictions. So that's something else you might want to google/look into. The bottom line is learning to observe our thoughts without judgement.

Staying in the moment is another effective tool. (Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now)

Welcome to the forum, by the way!