Notices

question

Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How can seeing a psychiatrist 'make' you a drunk? Weren't you that to start of with?

My point was really to treat these things separately. You don't need to know 'why we're here' to be able to stop drinking or doing drugs.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

LOL rojo, I think I like you.

Why do YOU think we're here? You asked the question. You're here - why?

I'm here because this site is one more tool in my toolbox that helps me stay sober and connect with other people who understand where I'm coming from. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm not here "by default" and I'm not an alcoholic "by default." I chose to drink and use myself into addiction, and I chose to be here, to attempt to stay sober, etc.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

What am i doing here? Killing a little time until the BBQ party next door gets rolling.

What am i doing here sober? Finally being the person i want to be. Not waking up sad and defeted before i even get out of bed. For me, total abstainince from alcohol has become a spiritual fast. As i voluntarily abstain from alcohol i grow spiritually every day. For me, it is a journey. I am not denying myself something. I am opening myself up to experiences that were once hopelessly closed to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Whatever the heck this vale of tears is, and why we are in it, I like it better sober and straight. For a while, believe me, I was neither.

Maybe we are hear to learn about ourselves and how to be a part of the greater world around us. Maybe we are here to create beauty and experience it too. For e.g., I just found this.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Eternity is a long time.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Eternity is a long time for what?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know I'd rather be sober than drunk!thats why I'm here to get support from fellow people that HAVE beaten it and I will follow suit I will beat this
Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Eternity is a long time for what?

To be sober.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For me, an eternity of being drunk seems MUCH longer.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

But how do you do it? Eternity is the heaviest damn burden to carry, how can a person carry it out?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I do it "One Day at a Time".......

Yes, Eternity WAS the heaviest burden to carry.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rojogonzo View Post
But how do you do it? Eternity is the heaviest damn burden to carry, how can a person carry it out?
It all depends on your perspective. You can either feel deprived -like a prisoner- or free, enjoying recovery. It really is up to you.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rojogonzo View Post
For me, it isn't the heaviest burden to carry. Knowing that ahead of me I have an eternity of sobriety is in no way a burden. It is liberating! I feel free. I feel that, in knowing I can never drink again, ever, I am giving myself the greatest gift I can give myself... a life that is not drowned by alcohol, a life which is REAL, rather than soaked in lies and deceit... a life that doesn't involve hangovers, or drunken accidents and arguments. It's just all about the way you look at it - you can look at it as a liberation, or you can look at it as a restriction. I know I choose the former
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Im here to connect with people that understand what I am going through. I am here for inspiration. I am here for a safe place to vent. Everyday I make it here, I am happy.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Rojo, you don't even know what your eternity is. You could be dead today. Or tomorrow. Nobody knows how much time they have on this earth. So we take things one day at a time. Yesterday is gone. I don't even know if I'm going to get a tomorrow. So I make the best of today. All this rambling intellectualizing only confuses your situation ... if you're an alcoholic, then you're an alcoholic. Apparently, some people think you are. So do something about it. Get rid of the booze - it only confuses things more. Then look at your life with a clear head and ask yourself if that life is better than a life swimming in alcohol. I think your answers will come pretty quickly.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I feel that we are all born into this life because WE chose to be here. We all have a mission to accomplish.

I am not sure of what is my purpose in life, but every single soul on this planet has a mission in life. If you just step back from life and let your soul guide you, then you will make a difference. We were not born by accident, you have a special mission to accomplish. We all do. I use to feel that way, long ago. I was feeling like killing myself, that God, or the Creative Forces turned Their back on me. But it was me who turned away from the Creative Forces, or God.

You can have them back, don't turn away. One affirmation that helps me, I say it every morning:
"Let the meditation of my heart and the words of my mouth be in the Christ Consciousness. Purge from me all unrighteousness and make thy body whole in His service.
As my life is a reflection of my concept of you God, in the ways of the world, keep me in the way that You would have me go."

It is an affirmation that I put on my mirror, so that I can remember to say it every single morning while I brush my teeth. It is very similar to the BB prayer, I can't remember it right now, but you can say that one also. It really turned my life around, and I know it can help all others. It is a way to get my EGO (Easing God Out) out of the way and let my Soul guide me in the ways of the world.

You are very important in this life, you just need to start feeling that from the inside. I know exactly where you are, and it is a long, dark, tunnel. I now see my light at the end of that tunnel and I am working the program the right way. If this affirmation helped me get out of that dark place, then it can help you. I thought I was the only one, until I found this site. I am surrounding myself with others that feel/felt the same way as me. And you are too, that is the first step in recovery, whether it be from an addiction from the outside, or an addiction of the mind, from the inside. I am glad that you are taking that first step. It can only get better from here.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I am here because 37 years ago my parents had sex.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I am here on SR for support to live a life worth living.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Eternity is a four syllable word. Focus on every 'day'. So short and sweet and much more manageable.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Rojo, you don't even know what your eternity is. You could be dead today. Or tomorrow. Nobody knows how much time they have on this earth. So we take things one day at a time. Yesterday is gone. I don't even know if I'm going to get a tomorrow. So I make the best of today. All this rambling intellectualizing only confuses your situation ... if you're an alcoholic, then you're an alcoholic. Apparently, some people think you are. So do something about it. Get rid of the booze - it only confuses things more. Then look at your life with a clear head and ask yourself if that life is better than a life swimming in alcohol. I think your answers will come pretty quickly.
I think desertsong has pretty much summed it up! What are you gaining by analizing why you are alive? You are a collection of cells and dna that is now you! There are about 7 billion others who are the same. Some have been dealt worse cards than us, some haven't. This is a recovery forum. We are all here for a common cause, getting and staying clean. Maybe try abstaining for a while... see if you have a problem or not