Notices

Nighttime anxiety attacks

Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Nighttime anxiety attacks

I'm almost 4 months sober and out of the blue I'm now having nighttime bouts of anxiety/near panic attacks where I wake up and feel like I'm about to come out of my skin. Deep breathing helps me to calm down but this is just weird. I haven't had this since I first got sober. I know my body has been going through a lot of changes since I stopped drowning it in alcohol every day, but this is kind of crazy after so much sober time. I think. I don't know. Could this be PAWS?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if I ever had PAWS DS.....But when I got funky I upped the spiritual part of the program..That would usually turn it around for me...Maybe someone else has more experience with PAWS.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
I'm almost 4 months sober and out of the blue I'm now having nighttime bouts of anxiety/near panic attacks where I wake up and feel like I'm about to come out of my skin. Deep breathing helps me to calm down but this is just weird. I haven't had this since I first got sober. I know my body has been going through a lot of changes since I stopped drowning it in alcohol every day, but this is kind of crazy after so much sober time. I think. I don't know. Could this be PAWS?
I believe you mentioned lately that you are having other unsettling issues in your life. That's probably the cause.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know DS, but the deep-breathing is probably the best thing to do. I used to get those middle of the night panic attacks too, for no apparent reason. You might want to try meditating, if you don't do that - just some quiet time to see if there is something on your mind.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a similar thing Desertsong. I used to get anxiety attacks all the time when I was sleeping in my drinking days. And it has happened twice recently too. I almost feel like this is a second wave of withdrawals for me. I'm 4 months sober too, and it has taken this long to feel physically better and for the fog to lift. Now I feel like the reality of giving up drinking is hitting me a bit more and it's sent me into a bit of a panic. It may be something completely different for you, but in my experience of panic attacks, although they seem completely random there is usually a pretty good reason for them. They just might not appear reactive is all. Don't worry about it too much but maybe chat to your doctor if your concerned x
Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Desertsong, it probably is stress sometimes it can come out in wicked ways. I hope you get feeling better soon, I agree with the deep breathing or if you have some soothing music to listen to that you can keep close to your bed, it may help.... I was just wondering how you was doing... I was thinking about some of the people from when I first started SR. Sadly I don't see to many.....Take care girlie and congrats on your 4 months
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I don't know DS, but the deep-breathing is probably the best thing to do. I used to get those middle of the night panic attacks too, for no apparent reason. You might want to try meditating, if you don't do that - just some quiet time to see if there is something on your mind.
i've had them too, usually after a disturbing day and sometimes the aftermath of a nightmare brings them on.

try to relax and remember what you are grateful for.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm kinda with Bob on this one DS - you have a lot going on in your life and your mind right now.

Panic attacks are awful - I hope you find a way to deal with them.

This site helped me:
Calm Clinic

D
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DS..i dont know if you have a laptop you can place on your bed, or a head set or not...but...at times when i have a hard time sleeping (trying to avoid using xanax as a sleep aide mind you) or when i feel anxious...i open my laptop, pop on the headsets and listen to this..all night

RainyMood.com: Rain makes everything better.

its a 24 hour stream of rain, light thunder storms...its very very relaxing...give it a try! its very high quality and works wonders for me..its also good for breathing exercises and deep meditation... best of luck and dont worry...you will be fine!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I LOVE the Calm Clinic, Dee. Thank you. I've been visiting there regularly for the last few months. I do have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday, though. Thought it best. I don't want to go on drugs but I don't want to be incapacitated by anxiety either. At least I'm smart enough to know that I don't want a prolonged course of benzos either. If I need them for the short term, that's fine if they help, but I don't want a long-term course of them either.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice, but I take 5-HTP supplements every night to help sleep and avoid irritability. It's tryptophan, an amino acid that is a precursor to serotonin. I used to take anti depressants for anxiety, but they have such rotten side effects. I've had no problems with the 5-HTP and I buy it at Costco or Target. Helps me balance out the anxiety. Also, I try to follow a low glycemic diet as much as possible. I would love to chow down on sweets, but the low-gly seems to help avoid anxiety spikes. Good luck, regardless if PAWS or just life stresses, or both.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cutting out refined sugar and drinking valerin tea help me loads.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely stress. I have had them over the couple of nights. Knowing that I am having one freaks me out even more. I hope you get some peace! I am going to try deep breathing next time.