Notices

What 6 Months Sober Means to Me

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

What 6 Months Sober Means to Me

I started my Day 1 on January 1st, 2012. I knew I'd be up against some flack, as it was looked upon as "just another New Year's resolution". Well, for me, this was so much more. The date, in retrospect, was purely coincidental. To put it simply, I was ready.
I stopped for many reasons, too numerous to mention, but one of the most significant for me at the time was a frightening wake up call at the doctor's office. I showed up complaining of acute anxiety, sleeplessness and heart palpitations. The visit confirmed that my blood pressure and heart rate were through the roof. I was immediately put on meds and referred to the cardiologist. I was stunned, as I had always considered myself a healthy person, watched what I ate, exercised etc etc.
It was at the cardiologist's office that I finally opened up about my drinking. I found myself in tears, sharing my "secret" for the first time...that my drinking was out of control.
Amazing, looking back, that it took a whole lot of reading before I truly made the connection...my drinking was destroying my health! Later on I discovered it had done some major damage to my mind as well.
Today, I am humble and grateful that I made these discoveries and chose to turn my life around.
I had my follow up visit with my cardiologist this morning. He went through a checklist of all my prior ailments: high blood pressure?...now120/74.(by the way, I was taken off meds back in March) Anxiety?...relaxed as can be. Acid Reflux?...did I really have that? nope, gone. Palpitations?...not a one. Trouble sleeping?...sleep like a baby. Thrilled?...YOU BETCHA!!!
As terrific as this news is, my better health is really just a snapshot of what I've gained from sobriety. The big picture encompasses so, so much more.
In short, I have serenity now. And happiness. And even joy. While actively drinking, I was sad, depressed and anxious pretty much all the time.
My sober journey thus far has given me the courage to take life as it comes, one day at a time, and cope as best I can. I no longer reach for a bottle to soften the pain or enhance the fun. I have learned that I can live without alcohol...and for me, that is a huge gift.
I would not be where I am today without the incredible support that this community has given me. I thank each and every one of you, you have all helped me whether you know it or not. And I pray to return the favor.
Newcomers, do not give up the fight! I am still very new myself, but this I already know: Achieving sobriety is so very worth it, and can be done.
God bless you all
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post. Congrats on your 6 months!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How long exactly did it take for the palpitations to go away? I once did 2 months sober and they were still there.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful post faceit!! Congrats on your 6 months!!8...Your post is just what I needed to read today, like I mention in our class my AV has showed up uninvited to July 4th... Reading this brings it back to me how lucky and how far we have come...Keep up the awesome work! You and many others truely inspire me...**{Big congratulation hugs to you}}:ghug3
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Originally Posted by TimW View Post
How long exactly did it take for the palpitations to go away? I once did 2 months sober and they were still there.
Took about two months for me Tim, but everyone is different. Might be a question for your doctor?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Aww, thanks (((Nel))) You inspire me as well Stay strong!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on six months faceitandfixit!!...Don't ever let go of what you got!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Excellent and inspiring post!

Thank you!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bravo on 6 months!!!! amazing achievement!!!!!! i cant wait till i even hit my 1 month mark!!! the days fly by so fast i dont miss alcohol at all ...what a great feeling!!!! now if this darn heat would just break...ide be in bliss! lol
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

FaceitandFixit, thanks for a great post. Very inspiring!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aw, great post. I'm at just over 3 months, and struggling at times (though I'm happy to have stopped as my depression much better).

It's really good to see others further on their journey and the great progress being made. Congrats.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Face - and congratulations again

D
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 6 months faceitandfixit,

It is an inspiring post. I would read posts similiar to yours early in sobriety and was very skeptical and thought people were just writing these glowing reports so that newcomers would not drink and to encourage them and that they probably felt better but if truth be known were still hanging out for a drink.

Over a year on experiencing sobriety and the great changes in me and my life, I can attest to the fact than a sober life is a way better life.

Good on you

CaiHong
Old 07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Faceitandfixit!!

And thanks for taking the time to write that. I really needed to read such a positive post today xxx
Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

This is just amazing. I'm very happy for you!! Great job on 6 months. that's quite an accomplishment.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're very proud of you, faceit. I feel so bad for those who give up in the beginning because they can't see how good it'll be down the line. I hope some of the new members read and remember your words, for when things get challenging. Congrats on your wonderful accomplishment.