Notices

Day 1

Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi I'm a new member today is my first day sober I'm starting anti abuse tablets tomorrow just wondered what peoples views of them are would appreciate any info from other people who have the same problems as me with drink cheers rob
Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robsta - welcome

Keeping in mind we can't give medical advice here, I think it's best if we stick to peoples experiences of antabuse rather than their views on it

I've never had experience with antabuse, though, so I can't help you with any firsthand experience I'm afraid.

Are you doing anything else for your recovery as well?

D
Old 07-03-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome !!
I found Alcoholics Anonymous to be just the treatment required for my alcoholism.
All the best in your chosen program of recovery.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Robsta. Welcome to SR

I never used antabuse but I wanted it to start of with because I felt like I just couldn't stop drinking! I don't think it is a replacement for a recovery method though. I found that I had to do something and put some effort into it to get and stay sober. It can feel like hard work initially but it's worth it. Look into AVRT, SMART, AA, or read a book like Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Drinking. Reading and posting on here has been my biggest support though. Join the Class of July thread on this forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of support there x
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes went to first aa yesterday and after was my last drink .it was the first time meeting people like me who have beat it and as god as my witness I will beat it too,with a wooden stick lol I just read gigi s letter to vodka and that sumes up how I'm feeling I will BEAT this
Old 07-03-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robsta81 View Post
Yes went to first aa yesterday and after was my last drink .it was the first time meeting people like me who have beat it and as god as my witness I will beat it too,with a wooden stick lol I just read gigi s letter to vodka and that sumes up how I'm feeling I will BEAT this
That enthusiasm coupled with regular AA meetings is the recipe for success.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congratulations Robsta! taking the first step is always the hardest and it does get easier!!! I hit my 2 weeks mark today and i cant tell you how amazing i feel..not even worried about the 4th, or any other holiday!!! waking up sober and enjoying the day sober IS my reward!!! im very glad you liked my "breakup letter to vodka"... its nice if someone gets inspiration out of something that either I, or someone else writes we are all here for eachother..this is not one sided i assure you stay strong...tomorrow is just wednesday...it doesnt matter that it happens to be the 4th of July...its just a typical wednesday with fireworks at night!... make it a sober one I have faith in you dear!

blessings!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks got too do this.today feels like all my demons are coming out to test me.writing on here seems to help to keep that voice away!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, it's great to have you here to share your story and provide inspiration for all of us.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it was the first time meeting people like me who have beat it
It was for me too...I just asked them how they did it and they showed me...I haven't had a drink in a year since...And I was a hopeless drunk when I got there. Be sure and use this site for support......You have people here willing to help you and maybe tomorrow you can help someone just signing up....Glad you are here Robsta...Make it work!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well the wife is still not talking to me in the wreck that is the morning after going to take more than words to fix this one ACTIONS speak louder than words. Going to take some real effort to sort this,why is it the loved ones that hurt most?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going to take some real effort to sort this,why is it the loved ones that hurt most?
It does take some effort...And always the ones closest to us are the ones we do the most damage to....One way to fix that...Don't drink. I don't know about you...But my loved ones got tired of how many times I said I was done...They didn't buy it any more...I had to commit to it and do it...Still earning trust at a year sober....I did a lot of damage.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

why is it the loved ones that hurt most?
I'm not sure, maybe the level of intimacy involved allows them to see your "demons" as you call them. Give her time. Is she maybe interested in Al-Anon? It could help her during her own healing process.

I think that you're right about action, my own biggest challenge is to act instead of thinkning and blabbering so much.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome to SR Rob! We are so glad that you are here.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Rob,

Just my experience-I was on antabuse a while back. The problem is that you can stop taking it and drink a few days later. I guess the point is that that time gives you time to think it over and make a better choice. I didn't. The only plus was that it gave my family some relief from watching over me.
I'm now on two different meds which do not cause sickness when drinking but do cut down on alcohol cravings. Plus AA.
Seems to be helping.
Plus my dh is going to Al-anon. Seems to help also.
jennikate
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your surport today day one down readey for tommorrow first day on anti abuse. For the first time I feel like a can beat this,total different look at it all,I now know I can't drink, I can't just have one and I won't have one
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you don't have one Rob...You'll never need one!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i did take antabuse, two different times. it ultimately was not solution for me, but i hear people have some degree of success with it.
i can't give any medical advice, but i would urge you to do your own research on the appropriate way to take it, and what other items to avoid while on it.
many common items contain alcohol, and it is possible to get quite sick from mixing any alcohol with this drug.
i am glad that you went to AA! it's been a real lifeline to me!
much luck to you
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, many good people here, great source of help. Keep posting it is good to hear everyone's experience with sobriety.