Notices

First timer. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
instant

My suggestions are
  • understand that you are scared of changing- and that's OK
  • your addiction will tell you many things that support the idea that changing is a bad idea
  • listen to others who have overcome what you face and are happy with their decision

It is possible
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello! Welcome!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Similar to Live2Run my only daily tool is SR and my inner conversation about changing and living my life for the better. I do read constantly to inspire myself, such such a big partof this process is listening to yourself and the emotions you have ignored for years. I think AA can be a very useful tool for fellowship and life-change, but wasnt the right fit for me. whatever tools work for you, just believe in your heart no matter the trade offs, a life free of addiction and mental control of alcohol is better. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by appleton02 View Post
Hello,

So I've known that I've been an Alcoholic for quite some time. I'm 28 and have been drinking heavily every day for the last couple of years. I could begin to dive into the reasons why I started drinking so heavily but I'm sure you've heard them all before and I don't want to bore you. The thing is though, I've gotten really, really good at hiding my problem. I haven't hit "rock bottom" but I know I'm killing myself and, in the meantime, not functioning at the level I'm capable of. No one knows. My girlfriend, who I practically live with, doesn't even know. I'm incredibly embarrassed that I start drinking usually before 3 P.M., usually because I start to feel weird or get the shakes...which is just embarrassing and I do my best to hide it. I don't know how things have come this far but, nonetheless, they have. I'm not religious at all so please don't include any of that stuff in your responses (if you're kind enough to offer anything). No disrespect, it's just not for me. I just feel like a complete fraud and I want to get better. Does anyone have any advice that doesn't involve AA meetings? I'm all ears. Drinking is no longer fun for me and I can't keep doing this.

Thanks guys, in advance.
I have a different kind of alcohol issue (binge drinking/blackout drinking) so I don't know if I actually have any advice other than, maybe you could talk to your girlfriend about it. She could be a good support for you especially since you live with her. If you don't want to go to AA you could see a doctor. Since it sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms (the shaking) when you don't drink, you may need medical attention when you start trying to quit drinking. This might be good advice and may not be. I'm new to this. Someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Appleton. :ghug3
Rock bottom? There's only one real rock bottom, and that's when they nail the lid on when you die of alcohol. If you say 'this isn't rock bottom' where you are now, when will you? Because you'll move the goal posts. I found myself doing things I said I never would. And then I'd shrug my shoulders and say 'Meh, so what?'

I'm not religious, but I find AA helpful. Hell, it keeps me sober. But there are alternatives if you're determined not to go to AA. You can even try and do it yourself. I quickly found out that I couldn't do it, but you might. And if you can't do it either, well, we'll be here for you. And we won't say anything other than 'Welcome back.'
Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am also about 28, and drank daily for years. Also not religious at all and have no interest in hearing anything about the G word. I have 59 days today - the longest in my adult life. All I can say to you is to do it for yourself. Seriously, it's your life here. I was so ****ing tired of being stagnant in my career, feeling like **** every single day, getting withdrawal symptoms every day, and everything else that comes along with drinking. It's just not how we're supposed to live. It's pathetic that drunk was my normal and sober was my "off" state of mind.

I really can't do the AA thing - if someone offered me $5 million dollars right now if I would honestly believe in a higher power (ANY higher power, not necessarily "G--"), I wouldn't be able to. Not honestly at least. So I think I know where you're coming from. We were meant to live for so much more, my dude.