Notices

Not Sure

Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Not Sure

Okay guys, here is my issues. I'm not a daily drinker. I drink a few days a week, but not regularly. My main problem is, when I drink I tend to make an ass out of myself. Beers and shots are like potato chips to me, hahah. Once I have one I need to drink until I can't anymore, sometimes I drink a whole 30 pack plus to my head along with shots. I am a little frustrated about this, because not only do I look like a fool, I also have hangovers that seem to linger, effecting my work and social life, causing me anxiety and just complete exhaustion, yet I do this every week. During the week I usually have beers Wednesday and Thursday but maybe only a six pack each night.

My thinking came to a head when I went to a party with two family memebers. We all got drunk, when we got home we got into an argument and I would up putting one, who is a female into a head lock (which I never thought I would do), I caught myself before it got to out of hand.

Need some suggestions here, I'm sick of looking like a fool and feeling like crap, I keep telling myself I am going to take a break from drinking and see how I feel, but that never happens. It's almost like it's my social crutch.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, stop drinking.

Try 90 days, see how much better your life is !
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, stop drinking. It's causing problems in your life and making you violent, then it's time to stop. I hope you take a look around here and read and learn. Your life can be much better without alcohol.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

If you go back and look at my posts you will find I came here asking the same questions.

I only drank 1-3 times a week and only with others- never alone. I would drink until I passed out and would do stupid, embarassing things. I would wake up the next day and along with the physical hangover would be the emotional shame and horror of my behavior. This would last for a few days- this lingering yuckiness.

It took me 4 days once to finally notice that I had permanent marker words written all over my *ss. My lovely friends had done that one night to me...I was 34. UGH!

I am now 62 days sober and not one of those mornings have I woken up to check my cell phone to see what I had done the night before and then crawled under the covers to try and disapear from it.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

First off welcome to SR.

Secondly there is no easy way to stay sober everyone needs to find what works for them.

The solution is easy.... Don't drink.

I would also be concerned that if you get violent enough to put a women in a headlock that you should do just what you are doing. Recognize it's time to make a change.

I use AVRT as a way to get sober. Not perfect at it but trying.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, NEPA
The fact that you are here is a big clue. Normal drinkers don't have these questions. I was pretty shocked when I found that out. Hang around, there are always alot of great people willing to listen and share.
I was shocked when I found out I was an alcoholic, turns out alot of others weren't.
Again, welcome. Glad you made it
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard and to me your here questioning your drinking, good clue to give sobriety a ride.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think I may, for my health and for my well being.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NEPA - Unfortunately I don't have the answer for you other than stop drinking as has already been said. I do suggest you do so right way. I started out like you and although I still do not drink everyday my binges have gotten closer and closer together and I do often drink alone as opposed to the beginning when it was only at parties/gatherings. So I've gotten worse over the years. Don't do this to yourself.

In addition, the acting like a fool thing seems to get progressively worse also.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
NEPA - Unfortunately I don't have the answer for you other than stop drinking as has already been said. I do suggest you do so right way. I started out like you and although I still do not drink everyday my binges have gotten closer and closer together and I do often drink alone as opposed to the beginning when it was only at parties/gatherings. So I've gotten worse over the years. Don't do this to yourself.

In addition, the acting like a fool thing seems to get progressively worse also.
Well I can tell you this, my Wednesday and Thursday six packs are alone, and I'll usually start my weekend binges with some beers at my house to prime up before I go out.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEPA View Post
Well I can tell you this, my Wednesday and Thursday six packs are alone, and I'll usually start my weekend binges with some beers at my house to prime up before I go out.
Yep - then I think it is time we both stop drinking.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi NEPA and welcome, you will find alot of support here while you find which support method you want to go with. You have taken the first step in wanting to make a change for the better in your life, congradulations on that. Much like yourself I wasn't a daily drinker, but when I did it was never just 1-2. It was one excuse, of many, I always used to convince myself I didn't have an issue, "only everyday excessive drinkers are alcoholics and have issues right?" Please keep intouch and let us know how your journey is progressing.

Regards,
Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome NEPA!

It's a vicious cycle, for sure. I'm glad you've decided you don't want to live that way anymore. I came to the same decision a couple years ago and this forum has been my lifeline. It was terrifying to think about getting sober, but knew I couldn't keep drinking and have any kind of sanity.

Keep reading and posting - life really is better without alcohol!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, lots of good people trying to stay sober, welcome!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here NEPA.
I never miss the guy I used to turn into after a few beers - I'm pretty sure you won't either

welcome

D
Old 07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi i spoke to an alcohol team who gave me great advice. i only drink on a night and was confused that i was getting withdrawl as i thought alcoholics drank from morning to night but she said it didnt matter that i only drank on a night it was the fact that i was cramming the same amount in my body on a night as what an allday drinker would drink in a full day so even though you dont drink everyday you are probablys drinking the same amount in a few days as what an allday drinker will have. im in the uk and there was a doctor saying that people should have 2 days off drnk to help the body recover but there was other doctors against it as they said that if people miss 2 days they will make up for it when they do get to drink by drinking double.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi NEPA, welcome to SR. :ghug3
And yes, Karilynn, I was a bit shocked when I started reading stuff like 'Normal drinkers don't ask if they're normal drinkers' and 'If you think you might have a problem, you probably do.'
I didn't think I had a problem, but things I read in casualty, and people I argued with online tried to tell me I did. So I set out to find evidence that I didn't. I wanted proof that I didn't have a problem.
I didn't find it.
No matter where I looked, I didn't find it. And then I found I couldn't quit. And I still told myself I didn't have a problem.
It's taken a while, but I've accepted things now. And now I hear some of the things I said to other people and myself, and wish I'd paid more attention at the time, because they should have started alarm bells ringing.
But you're in the right place to find answers, and to find help. You may not find the answers you want. I know I didn't. But you will find the answers you need.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEPA View Post
Well there ya go.

Nobody but you can determine whether you're an alcoholic; that is your decision to make 100%.

In my world, priming so you look like a normal drinker, wondering if there's a problem, doing really stupid S*** while drinking and then comparing self to "normal" drinkers is pretty much fait accomplie.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Nepa! I once drank like you, many years ago. Just because I didn't drink every day I convinced myself I could take it or leave it. I turned into someone I didn't recognize when I drank - but I kept playing with it and trying to control it. In the end, I was a daily drinker - so dependent on it I couldn't make a move without it. I wish I'd respected the warning signs when I was young. It isn't how often we drink, but what it does to us when we do.

I'm glad you're seeing the light and taking heed. We're happy to have you with us. You can prevent so much misery by stopping now. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome! Sounds like you have a ton of reasons to get rid of the drinking. Glad you found us!