Notices

5 Days Sober

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Days Sober

I've reached the five day mark. It hasn't been easy as I was on a business trip Thursday and Friday in which everyone was drinking and couldn't figure out why I wasn't. On the last day I pulled the director of the department on the side and explained why, and she was understanding and thanked me for telling her. I've had success dealing with the AV and have been able to identify moments that previously I would have given in and stopped off for a drink. Feels good to have have control and know I've made the right decision.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great news. Well done on your 5 days. I have great respect for you for being able to tell your director and explain why - I think that is such a brave thing to do. Good for you!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Steve !

My business colleagues also wondered why I went from a "party guy", to no drinking at all.... I just told them it's health related, and after a few months, nobody asks me anymore.. You need to do what's best for you.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on day 5! Keep up the good work.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Steve07 View Post
I've had success dealing with the AV and have been able to identify moments that previously I would have given in and stopped off for a drink. Feels good to have have control and know I've made the right decision.
Steve, congratulations on identifying that voice, exposing it for what it is and what it can do if we give in and listen. The recognition of those moments and urges for what they are, a desire to give myself permission to drink, was a breakthrough for me. The feeling of regaining control and self respect became a self perpetuating cycle, and I think you are starting to feel the same thing.

That euphoria is real, Steve, and well earned. Pay attention to that feeling, and each time you make this right decision, what I like to call your sober muscle gets stronger each time. Well done!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Right on congrats and Stay on the Beam