Notices

Will alcohol become as socially unacceptable as tobacco?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It seems society has changed so much in the past 50 years on its acceptance of tobacco. Will alcohol ever become this way? With all of the damage that alcohol does to society, communities, families, individuals, will we soon begin to break away from it as an accepted activity? Is this already happening? There are the 'drink responsibly' campaigns and the campaigns against drunk driving but do these work?

Here are some interesting numbers from Gallup, U.S. Drinking Rate Edges Up Slightly to 25-Year High

Interestingly, the more money you make and the more educated you are, the more you are likely to drink.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this will depend on the country.

I can see in the UK in a few generations that possibly this will happen. Much will depend on how much people are prepared to accept that the countries government should decide what they can and cannot do. Some countries in Europe already make alcohol very expensive to try and discourage its use. All that happens is that people go to another country to drink.

There are other factors like the fact the industries that make alcohol have influence over the government.

The other arguments made for banning it is the harm it causes in domestic abuse , people starting fights because of it, and people hurt by drunk drivers.

Harm caused by alcohol in the UK has risen greatly in the last few years. Companies are pushing their employees well past what is reasonable. People are getting stressed out, and guess what drinking considerably more. Often I was working 70+ hours a week. It had got to the point on Saturday I was so exhausted I ended up sleeping most of it.

Mad mad mad world.

Cov.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know the answer to that, but I would love to see it in my lifetime!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Possibly but unlikely. The thing with smoking is that when someone smokes it negatively effects the people around them. You can't contain the smoke to just that person. If smoking only effected the individual then i don't think smoking would have been as vilified as it was. The evils of second hand smoke is what got smoking banned in public places and has had a lot to do with the negative image of smoking. It's becoming less and less socially acceptable. Drinking on the other hand only effects the individual until it gets out of hand and that's usually an extreme.

As an alcoholic, i can't begrudge the normies their drinks. It's no longer something i partake of but it's not something i have a problem with as long as it's being used responsibly.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dont know about other countries but as long as American politicians are being wined and dined by liquor executives ...wont happen here anytime soon.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have mixed feelings on this, and my views are likely unpopular. Personally, I don't think it *alcohol* per se should ever be banned. Now how it is consumed? Perhaps that is another issue.

I have great friends who love wine. When they go to wine tastings, they taste, and spit so as not to get intoxicated and dull their taste buds to the pretty of the subsequent tastes. When they order a glass, they have, indeed, one glass.

Wine in small quantities has health benefits. Some might quibble with this, but I believe it. Conversely, you can't take a small amount of cocaine or pot and claim the same.

I do worry about American drinking culture, especially as my children grow up. Binge drinking in college was the norm, not the exception. Loads of people grow up and out of it unscathed. Those like me don't. So there is that.

Rambling answer. Need a coffee. :-)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Interesting topic. Here in the U.S. health insurance companies had alot to do with the "anti smoking campaign" as to bring down the $ they were paying on insurance claims to smoking related illnesses.

In the U.S. - we already tried prohibition which only lead to organized crime including murder. People like to drink alcohol-- no way around it. Some people dont have drinking problems. Maybe in the future - they would control the disribution and consumption of it more somehow. Many people don't need that tho- they can control their drinking without harmful effeccts. I know in Germany; if you get one DWI you are banned from driving for life.

Thats just my opinion on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mo S View Post
Interesting topic. Here in the U.S. health insurance companies had alot to do with the "anti smoking campaign" as to bring down the $ they were paying on insurance claims to smoking related illnesses.

In the U.S. - we already tried prohibition which only lead to organized crime including murder. People like to drink alcohol-- no way around it. Some people dont have drinking problems. Maybe in the future - they would control the disribution and consumption of it more somehow. Many people don't need that tho- they can control their drinking without harmful effeccts. I know in Germany; if you get one DWI you are banned from driving for life. Thats just my opinion on it.
I could get behind that. I have lost a friend to drunk driving. I carry it with me always.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That would be so cool

Personally I have always thought that alcohol was far more damaging than smoking. You can't kill someone by smoking and driving, no one ever gets physically assaulted because the attacker had been smoking. It takes a long time to kill yourself from smoking but I lost a few friends to drinking or drugs before I even left home. Just being in A&E on a friday or saturday night should be enough for the government to take some stricter measures on alcohol.

We'll see though...
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is my prayer.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whether it does or not, it won't make a difference. At least not for a long time.
People who smoke are treated like pariahs, but they still do. When less people start smoking, then maybe we can say that it's had an effect.
And making alcohol is, alas, easy. Plus, do we want governments to say what people can and can't do in their own homes?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

I honestly don't think alcohol will become socially unacceptable, any more than I think coffee will.... at least not in my life time. The reality is we live in a self medicating world.... sad, but true. And the stats show that drinking ( at least for young adults ) is on the upswing. I wish things were different, but even if they are not, I am forging my own way. It's just not for me any longer.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well I will go against the grain and say no and I hope not. Smoking anything hurts you and people around you. Drinking I would not want to take that away from all the people that CAN enjoy it and live with it. Its not for me because I cant to take it away from people that can.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know that alcohol in and of itself will or should become socially unacceptable - but I think that obnoxious drunkeness is already and has been socially unacceptable for sometime. Unfortunately that has not stopped me, in the recent past, from engaging in said obnoxious drunkeness. (My last obnoxious episode was June 10. Hoping to keep in that way)
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No I don't think it ever will be and I agree with a previous poster that it shouldn't be.

I think we should have to have a license to buy alcohol (not just an ID to prove you are old enough). If you get a DUI that license is revoked for life, any restaurant, bar or store caught selling alcohol to a person without the license should be HEAVILY fined, not a slap on the wrist but a huge fine. Then we might make some progress in eliminating DUIs. Right now the system is a big joke.

Ever been to traffic school? The first thing thing stress is driving is a privilege not a right yet they turn around and hand drivers licenses back after a DUI. If people want to kill themselves with alcohol so be it. It's those getting behind the wheel and taking others with them that's the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It would only truly become socially unacceptable if it is rejected by society, not by government decree (prohibition). Government decree only makes it illegal, not unacceptable.

I find it personally unacceptable so I don't buy or use it.

Some (most) folks can "have a drink" with no bad aftereffects, they should be allowed to choose freely.

Alcoholics are not in the majority so what we want is a moot point.

Having a drink in my hand is "socially unacceptable" and that's all that counts.

We have freedom of choice ... choose wisely.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There's a key difference between alcohol and nicotine.

Among grown adults, a few don't drink at all, a few drink too much but the vast majority occasionally drink in small amounts and rarely in large ones. Most grown adults who smoke do so every day and usually in substantial amounts.

Alcohol is potentially more destructive, both for the individual and society at large, but whereas most can consume alcohol frequently without becoming addicted, most who consume nicotine frequently become addicted.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I doubt it, because alcohol and tobacco are entirely different substances.

There are no health benefits to tobacco, and it has a negative affect on the health of everyone who uses it.

There are health benefits to alcohol for most people, and it has a negative affect on the health of maybe 10% of the people who use it.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I honestly don't think alcohol will become socially unacceptable, any more than I think coffee will....

Coffee banned or socialy unaceptable please NO!. I love my coffee. I loved it before I started drinking, and still do.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

prohibition was tried