Notices

Losing friends when sober...

Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

can i just add also that im in the process of waiting for rehab and have been told to carry on drinking until i get there and its like bloody torture. when i was in denial i was fine drinking but since iv been told i have to drink as it can harm me to go cold turkey i just hate the stuff and it feels so daunting when i drink. be thankful you have reached the point of telling people you dont want to drink and take great pride in the fact as i truly cant wait to get to the point you have where i can tell people i cant drink and dont want to drink. i lost my friends long ago and im glad as after rehab it will hopefully open many doors to more friends who are there for me more than the drinking buddies i had
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say thanks all. There is some really useful advice in this thread. At the moment, I over-analyse a lot, and I think I need to do what I need to do and put the focus back on me. The guy in question, had done me a really big favour in the past, so in some respects we had been v. close, but at the moment, it's not right for me.

I'm going to work on myself (and talk about this at meetings... if I'm in AA may as well share what's getting to me).

appreciate the advice all, v. useful.

And Sharp, thanks for reminder, I need to be grateful. I seem to be missing that at the moment.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
True, but I was responding to your post where you said:
"Why did I hang around with the people I hung around with?...Because they drank...The more the better."
Which gave the impression that you befriended people simply because they would drink heavily with you.
I did. There weren't a lot of non drinkers in the places I hung out. The more they drank...The better I felt about the problem I was denying.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

someone posted a topic on here about a programme called rain in my heart which is on youtube, its in different sections from 1 -10 and it follows 4 alcoholics and out of the 4, 2 survive, one that dies is a 26 year old female and its so awful to see but it opens your eyes to how bad it can get
Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've had a few non-drinking friends over the years. Some I lost because I lost touch with them - I'd met them at university, and when I left we gradually (or not so gradually) drifted apart. How many I lost because of my drinking, I don't know. I doubt I ever will.
That's the thing that bothers me. How much have I lost through drinking? Apart from 25 years worth of memories... I don't know.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I had drinking dreams a couple of nights ago, but not after hanging with anyone or talking to them. When I talk to drinking friends on the phone they have a lot of drinking stories to tell from my past-- hell, that is what we had, and what they have now. One comment really stung me-- One old friend said that he can't remember me not drinking. I have one friend too, that always ribs on everyone- sometimes it's pretty harsh.