Notices

how do I do that?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
In the case of famous musicians like Clapton, they went so deep down that there was probably no choice, it was either quit or die. But I agree that his example is very inspiring.
Honestly, there are several musicians out there who weren't so deep down, they just found that quitting was the better choice then a road of addiction. There are so many inspiring musicians who have quit and honestly there are so many that I never even knew drank or used. I think you did great taking a cab... it is hard... I struggle knowing I will have to skip out on certain events, remove myself from certain situations... I will not be going to my normal Thursday bar karaoke nights anymore. It was a routine. You can do this!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Sentso, and welcome here!

I can relate to your story. I am also a musician but I've retired from that life now. Back in my gigging days I spent a lot of time in bars and around alcohol, drinking for free. It's hard to not get drawn into drinking alcoholically in that environment, and you're surrounded by alcoholics, as well.

But the good thing is, you're also surrounded by alcoholics who have stopped drinking. I knew a ton of people in the clubs who were "in the program," as they say. You just have to be willing to open your eyes to them and maybe seek them out. Okay, I'm not suggesting that AA is the one true way or anything, but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, it IS everywhere, and you can find the fellowship of recovering alcoholics around you, wherever you look. My guess is that if you make the effort to stop drinking and start seeking that fellowship, you will be shocked at how many recovering alcoholics you might find hanging out in those same places as you.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

And yeah, you did good getting in that cab. I was a lot like you. I'm a woman, but I could drink those guys under the table and then drink twice as much. In some ways, in that environment, it was like a badge of honor to be like that. But, you know, we can change, too. I will never regret the good times I had in the clubs, but I'm glad I don't drink like that now.

And at my age (I'm 53) I can look back on a lot of the people I drank with and see some pretty sad stuff. Some are dead, some are very sick, many have quit drinking because their health demanded it. My very dear musical partner, a guitar player I worked with in multiple bands, has severe liver disease and no longer drinks-- he's also unable to take medications for some other severe health problems he has, because he has too much liver damage. He's in a lot of pain every single day.

So yeah, I drank him under that table more times than I can count. Today it's not really something I'm proud of. I'm just lucky that my liver isn't as damaged as his was.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your friend being in pain Retread59.

It's true in a few different venues I met some guys who didn't drink. Maybe there were many more, but I didn't notice them because I was drinking. It sounds like a wonderful idea to start opening my eyes and looking for people like me around me. Thanks.

All your messages really cheered me up this morning (it's around 1pm here).
It's very comforting to know a little about your brother soberbrooke since we are in quite the same situation!

I've been thinking a lot about AA, but I don't think it is as developped here as it is in the US. I called them once and was a bit disappointed, and when I looked up for a meeting on the internet, they were only on monday or friday, the one on friday being close to my place (but I'm never home on friday) and the one on monday really far away. So I have the feeling that it is not as good as in the US. But maybe I'm wrong.
Anyways, this summer, I just don't have any time to do the searching and meeting, I'm always on the road or working. I wish it was as easy as in the US.

Actually I don't think I'm boring when I don't drink. The few nights when I didn't drink while others did, I sure thought they were the boring ones!

workingknee> I just received The Thirsty muse. I'll take it on the road with me!

Thank you all, have a nice day. Leaving again tonight on the bus for a few days. I'll be strong.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow I just realized that since I joined SR, I relapsed once in 11 days whereas before, although I already wanted to stop, or at least control (ah ah), I was binge drinking at least two or three times a week.

This place is fantastic!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find alot of help on here, just stick around. I'm a newbie, age 31, and at the beginning stages of alcoholism. I've come to this realization from this site, just listening to others share their stories. I am (was!) a binge drinker, only on the weekends. My drinking has changed just over the past few years, and even in the past few months. I can feel something is not right about my drinking, and all the thoughts that go on in my head whilst drinking. I want to stop now, while I'm ahead, before something bad happens, and before my health deteriorates. Right now, I've only told a few people. Some (even my best friends) don't think I have a problem, and aren't very supportive. But I know deep down, something is amiss. And I just have to keep reminding myself that. Keep coming back! It's so much better on the sober side of the fence!!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Just a little update, 3 months after, hoping that it can help.

I stopped drinking on the 17th of July, so it's been 90 days today!

I felt desperate when I joined SR. I knew something was wrong with my drinking, and had been trying to slow down for months, but couldn't. It seemed that the more I tried to slow down and the more I ended up drinking!
I had stopped doing opiates on a daily basis more than two years before that, but quitting alcohol seemed even worse because it was socially accepted, and even required. Being a musician, I am literally surrounded by alcohol 24/7.

I didn't stop immediately when I joined SR of course, but I felt immensely relieved, for I had found a home, a place where people understood what I was going through, and were very very supportive. I didn't expect that.

So I started slowing down thanks to SR, and after a few relapse episodes, I finally quit mid July. I was on tour so it was really hard, and I can remember (and probably always will) a few nights when SR really saved me.
Especially one night... After a good but complicated gig, I was feeling down and all the label/business people were backstage, drinking champaign and congratulating us, and I was about to give in, so I posted a message here, and got answers right away. It seems like a small thing but it was exactly what I needed, and I'm still very very grateful for those messages.

This thread and the "Class of July 2012" thread helped me A LOT. I mean it.

A lot of things have changed since I stopped drinking.
Physically and mentally I feel way better. I had a lot of trouble sleeping for years and now I fall asleep easily. I started reading again, and doing some exercise again (running, yoga). I started to reconcile with my inner self, and my previous selves (child, teenager, etc.), and doing so I started to look at my life more clearly, instead of feeling trapped in it.
It's funny how I feel closer now to the one I was when I was doing opiates. At the time, I was looking for something, and now I am still looking, but with other tools. So I've learned the only important thing is not to get trapped into your own lifestyle, and instead, change.

I feel that I'm also a better musician now. I am more open to others' ideas, to the audience, I have more patience, and the "high" I feel on stage is simply... higher!

And another important thing: I used to be very anxious about how people would react and would see me if I stopped drinking, I used to think that without my cheap "tortured artist charisma" I was nothing, but I was wrong, and though some situations are still hard to handle, my bandmates and all the people I work with reacted very well to my decision, and are very supportive and nice. I was even surprised when two of them told me they liked me better this way.

Simply put, this was one of the best decisions I've made in years! It is not easy, but it becomes easier with time, and it can actually be seen as a true adventure towards your true self.

So once again, thank you SR, thank you everyone for being here, this place is amazing, keep it up!

Sentso
Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hello,my old friend!

It's great to hear you are doing so well.I'm so very happy for you, your success and peace.
Congratulations on 3 months-it is fantastic
Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Big congrats on reaching three months sober!!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Big milestone Sentso!! Congrats! It sounds like you are really moving forward in life and have made a lot of positive changes. Glad you posted the update
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

glad to hear it, keep on keeping on .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
TiG

Nice post, and very encouraging to hear you are doing well. Best wishes to you.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Sentso - great to hear from you too

D
Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

3 months is fantastic! We're so proud of you.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Simply fantastic!
I am so glad you posted. It is an adventure, well put.

I look forward to reading more as you go.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Well done, Sentso. Congratulations on your choice of sobriety and your decision to stop, there will be no regrets with this one.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

ahh Sentso - i just found this post - was curious about how you were with the lifestyle - that is awesome - totally inspiring to me
Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Hi Copperfield! I'm glad this thread could help.

I'm still on tour, playing 3 or 4 gigs a week till the end of december. Being sober on tour is a completely different experience, very interesting and enjoyable. I have more time for myself, more time to do some exercise or read, I tend to be more curious about the places we go to, and I enjoy being on stage much more than I used to. Still sometimes I miss the old lifestyle, but then I think of how I felt last spring and summer, and I know one thing for sure: I don't wanna go back there!

Keep it up!