Notices

Was told something in my meeting about July, 4th

Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nothing. I haven't celebrated the 4th in years. Fireworks are illegal here in my county but legal at my moms place but the traffic is SO awful on the freeways that day that I just stay home. I'm hoping there is a good twilight zone marathon on or something.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

going to the fireworks fest with family and children before that swim and grill the nightcap will be mortars with my kids sober , hope everyone has a happy sober 4th
Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

The AA phone lines have been swamped in Washington, DC lately....

Yes, it's a tricky time of year!

Due to our recent storm, our local fireworks have been cancelled as that is where the power company has set up camp....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm going to spend the 4th drinking . .

. . . a lot of water!

I will try to get up to run before it gets too hot, then probably make some tasty food at the house or hang out with my lovely girlfriend, maybe go swimming to beat the heat.

Don't plan on drinking alcohol, 1000 empty calories -- now with added hangover! Nope, no thanks. Do not want.

I might binge though . . I have this bag of Dove dark chocolate "promises" and I hear its siren song ..
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Canada's national holiday is July 1st, so that means that we have already gone through that particular trial. For me, I would only get resentful and depressed to think I could no longer socialize with my lifelong friends because there was a bottle of wine on the table. The back yard BBQ was at my house, the food was delicious, and yes, there was wine and beer, as usual.
The change came after dinner when my wife thanked these long term friends (42 years we go back) for their support during my depression, and also for their support in helping me find the strength of will and determination to quit drinking, and to remain sober. Here's the irony: they said Congratulations to you, and raised a glass in my honour. I was very touched, my daughters hugged and kissed their Pa, and they all shook my hand.

Everything went better than expected.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can certainly believe that. The program is pretty straight forward. If you are "willing" and ready to do whatever it takes, you will remove yourself from any situation that could tempt you. Your sobriety should come first. My plan was to come up to our lake home after the family left. Now it is just my husband and kids and no one here is drinking so I have removed the temptation. That being said, calling my sponsor every single day is non negotiable.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What a treat to read this thread. I'll be spending my holiday watching the firework display of my neighbors across the lake who like to go all out every July 4th and every new year's eve. Like some other poster here, I'll also be calming my chihuahua/yorkie who reacts badly to fireworks and thunderstorms. Poor neurotic little thing. But I sure as hell won't be drinking. The thought of having to start from day 1 again is my biggest deterrent. No way I am putting myself though the mental obsession of the first couple of weeks after I quit. No way Jose. I deserve my sobriety and will not sabotage a nice opportunity to hang out with my family in the back yard and eat a yummy BBQ. My family deserves better.

My husband is throwing a party at my house for my mother in law who turns 70 on July 7. There will be beer and wine for the guests that night. I will start a thread that day to ask for support. This forum helped me keep sober last month during an out of town work related trip.

Enjoy your 4th of July.

Natalie
Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrooke View Post
I was told that July 4th is the second most date that people relapse, with Christmas being the 1st.
July 4th is coming up and I am just wondering what all us newbies will be doing to prepare for it.

I am going to pray on July 3rd, to have the extra strength to stay sober for July 4th. I am going to go to 2 maybe 3 meetings on that day, at noon and 6. I am going to surround myself with all of my alcoholic friends that are in AA. If I can't, then I will go to my bf house that is in AA and hang with her and her husband.

I am sober today, and preparing to stay sober for tomorrow. I know this is a little bit in advance, but what I heard was a little scary for me. It is beautiful out, it's the summer, everyone is going to be having so much fun, and I am going to be sitting in a meeting, or worse sitting at home alone while my kids are out having a great time somewhere on the lake, with my ex-boyfriend that is still an addict.

What are other people going to do to prepare?
You're awesome! Good for you making a plan to not drink. That is very smart. We are doing our 4th tonight. The 4th being in the middle of the week irritates most people but its helped me.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

A sober BBQ with sober people from AA. Nothing like laughter and fun in sobriety!

We are not a glum lot!! We just don't choose to drink today!!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Soberbooke has a plan for the 4th and so does everyone else who posted here. This is amazing. We are learning that planning is crucial in our new recovery life, crucial. I find this amazing. I can't give myself the luxury of expontaneity around booze, especially at parties. A firm plan has always saved my butt, always.

We are not only getting sober, we are getting smarter. I have to say I am proud to cyberly hang out with all of you wise people. Hehe

Have a happy sober 3rd and 4th

Natalie
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Don't know about where you are, but around here, at times of particular stress and increased possibility of relapse, we hold 24 meeting-a-thons. Generally have pot-luck meals and you come and go as you wish.

Just guessing but there should be something like that around. If not, just hang out around others in the program. They'll understand. If nothing else, host a BBQ and invite a half dozen in the program. Then hold your own informal meetings
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

If it helps , remember that it's just another day in a long line of days that lead to today .

For me on long holidays like you guy's in the States are having , I like to get a nice book to read , a large fan by the bed , some fizzey water and have a lazy reading day , maybe listen to bbc radio 4 extra on the internet that has some classic comedy on it .

Congratulations Americans on having the good sence on getting away from our barmy lot in westminster :0) happy holidays .
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Interesting. The relapse/4th of July thought did cross my mind this morning. Lately I've been trying not to give it much thought - just live my life without booze. I'm six months sober now. What I wanted to do when I first quit was find a way to live a new life. To me that includes not obsessing over relapsing. Although I can certainly see how others might not feel so secure. So with that said, with all of the catch-safes I made early on, I have those to lean on: Reading, movies, puzzles, cooking, going to the gym. These are things I do on a daily/weekly basis and I think that by keeping busy I keep my mind from straying into the evil realm of drinking. Good luck everyone!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I now have sober plans! Going to a movie at 3pm with my kids and my parents. After, we are having a cookout at my house. My drinking friend is coming over at 8, but I will not be joining her in a drink and it is not going to be a "party" at my house this year- just parents and their children blowing stuff up
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Have fun aeo!! With all of the fires we've had/are having, we are lucky if the city shoots them off.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Plans are great and necessary in this business of staying sober. I am finding that knowing my exits is also crucial, especially if I see my plans begining to crumble.
have a great 4th of July everybody.

Natalie
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I had never thought of this before but it makes perfect sense. Everyone here is planning 4th of July BBQs, etc. We won't be having fireworks tonight because the fire danger here is so high ... so I would guess that after the BBQs, folks will be hitting the bars pretty hard tonight.

Us? Well, we'll be home BBQing some ribs and watching movies. Hubby still drinks ... and I'm sure he will, but at least he will be home and I plan on a quiet sober night with him and the kiddos while the rest of our town will be out partying. At least I'll be feeling better tomorrow morning than they will.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
I had never thought of this before but it makes perfect sense. Everyone here is planning 4th of July BBQs, etc. We won't be having fireworks tonight because the fire danger here is so high ... so I would guess that after the BBQs, folks will be hitting the bars pretty hard tonight.

Us? Well, we'll be home BBQing some ribs and watching movies. Hubby still drinks ... and I'm sure he will, but at least he will be home and I plan on a quiet sober night with him and the kiddos while the rest of our town will be out partying. At least I'll be feeling better tomorrow morning than they will.
I heard about the fires - they are blowing smoke into Denver. Pretty bad yesterday. It was tough because we couldn't do anything outside due to the health advisory. We bbq'd too and stayed inside. After the city fireworks, I could literally hear people partying and whooping. I guess I'm glad I'm not one of them. I had a nice time watching the fireworks, I enjoyed my food, and went to bed reading. It was really nice.

How did everyone else's 4th go? Funny, b/c I know there are a lot here from the UK, so they don't give a rat's ass about it! LOL.