Notices

Falling fast

Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Falling fast

Hi,
I am new here. There has been a rapid acceleration to my drinking over the past few years.
I recently: lost my mother after caring for her during dementia and retired (losing my identity and reason to get up in the morning)

I am not happy in my marriage and the list goes on.

My #1 question right now is whether drinking affects your memory? I am terrified, of course, of dementia but these problems are 20 years before I should be having them if i am to follow my mother's fate!!!

I find myself having to stop and wonder whether I finished a task and will think for a minute that I failed to go to an appointment! This is really scaring me. I have always been absent minded, ADD and not mindful but this is different.

I tell myself I have 2-3 drinks a night but each drink contains about 4-6 oz of alcohol. I also feel my use of Ritalin for ADD is an added culprit.

PLEASE! any thoughts???
Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome !

Check with your doctor about medications and dementia.

Check with Alcoholics Anonymous about your drinking habits.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Caring for an aging parent can be very draining. It sounds to me like you should check with your dr about your health concerns and the Ritalin.

I'm sure you know that drinking doesn't help at all when trying to deal with life issues. I hope you decide to continue reading and posting here.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome to SR. I am new to sobriety too and can only give you a snapshot of my very limited experience.
I drank heavily for many years, but towards the end it got completely out of control. I will spare you the details, but yes, my memory and ability to concentrate and retain information were badly affected. This continues through the early part of sobriety too, but does eventually clear.
Talk to long time sober people, I'm sure they'll be along with advice.
Please go and see a doctor if you're concerned, and good luck with your journey xx
Old 06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aug

Drinking certainly affected my memory - but like others have said - please see a Dr if you're concerned - I know it's scary but chances are things are but better than you fear - a check up might help to put your fears to rest.

I'm sorry for your loss - I know grief and readjustment in your life must be hard too.

Do you plan to stop drinking, aug?

D
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you WWBWD, Anna and Jenni for your replies.
I didn't mean to word it as if I were seeking medical advice. I need to practice this forum talk.
I should have just asked if others suffered ,memory problems throughout drinking.

Thanks, too, Jenni. That is just what I meant to ask. It is also good to know that as I recover the memory and concentration will take some time!
-A
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome aug

Drinking certainly affected my memory - but like others have said - please see a Dr if you're concerned - I know it's scary but chances are things are but better than you fear - a check up might help to put your fears to rest.

I'm sorry for your loss - I know grief and readjustment in your life must be hard too.

Do you plan to stop drinking, aug?

D
Thanks D!!
Yes I do plan to stop. I tried AA meetings a year ago but didn't give them a chance.
I recently survived an awful, unintentional benzodiazepine (prescribed) addiction (another initial reason, I believe for my drinking flying out of control). I also have read that alcoholism is a progressive disease. So no matter what rationale I give this addiction it here to stay until I take action.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Personally I think drinking causes memory loss and fogginess but goes away once you have a few days of sobriety under your belt. Just my opinion. I also lost my mother to Alzheimers and is scares me to death that I may be getting it. I am always forgetting something. What a dreadful disease it is.....
Old 06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Personally I think drinking causes memory loss and fogginess but goes away once you have a few days of sobriety under your belt. Just my opinion. I also lost my mother to Alzheimers and is scares me to death that I may be getting it. I am always forgetting something. What a dreadful disease it is.....
Thanks Bethany! yes isn't it terrifying!?
I survived breast cancer years ago...the fear of cancer coming back doesn't hold a cancer to dementia!

I am starting over again tonight...NO drinking! I am wondering about tapering or if there is such a thing, really, since the problem has been that i can't have just one!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

alcohol is not a performance enhancing substance- it is a toxin
Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best thing to do is see your Dr before quitting - especially if you're worried about withdrawal...

It's best to get some professional advice

D
Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the best thing to do is see your Dr before quitting - especially if you're worried about withdrawal...

It's best to get some professional advice

D
Ok I will. The last time though they put me on Benzos....that was a two year nightmare and, for me personally, made things worse.

I will go to another Dr and refuse pills. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Aug. At the end of my drinking career I had all sorts of strange things happen - I even started hallucinating. Definitely had the foggy, numb stuff. I was older and had been drinking for many years, and it was taking it's toll. I knew I had to stop or be permanently damaged. When I found SR I got up the courage to change my life. I hope you'll enjoy being part of us - this is a wonderful group of people.

Congratulations on making this important decision - you'll never regret taking charge of your health and your future. Let us know how it's going.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

...I forgot, I'm sorry that you lost your mother. I'm sure you took wonderful care of her.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

THANK YOU HEVYN!
I am hoping to gain that courage!
I feel lucky to have found you all!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome aug!

Glad you found us, too! Sounds like you've been through a lot in the past few years. I drank to cope, too, not knowing that alcohol would become the main problem. I couldn't stop on my own, but coming here gave me the hope I needed to take that first step.

Take things one day at a time and keep reading/posting!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
one second at a time

post accute symptoms?

Welcome Aug,
Agree with most posts so far...seeing doc will ease your fears. Thinking it could also be post accute withdrawal symptoms? Even weaning down or stopping for a day can start those. When I got sober I was forgetful, unable to answer questions correctly, would lose my train of thought & space out. Lots of physical stuff too. I was really worried I had permanently hurt myself & would never be the same. They can last months to years & they get worse with stress. Took me 5 months to feel them fade. But I would put up with them forever before drinking or using again.
Take care,
Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I found that flower essences really work for me. I am no longer forgetful, spacey, or feel out of it. I also got the book, MAP Medical Assistance Program. they have both worked wonders in my life. I get the flower essences from the same company that sells the book, I get them in the preservative of vinegar, as the other one is brandy, and that would be no good! It helped me tremendously.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Aug 73,

I too survived an unintentional addiction to a benzo and am convinced my accelerated alcoholism was somehow caused by benzo use. Keep in mind your body may still be withdrawing from the benzos which makes you more vulnerable to drinking, at least that's how it went for me. I'm done with all of it and have never felt better - you can do it - good luck!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Aug,
I can certainly understand your concern after nursing your mother through dementia. A very selfless act in my opinion all kudos to you. Very sad to go through that loss.

When I was drinking my memory was shocking and really now being sober over a year I am as sharp as a tack. I think more than anyone you can appreciate that to compromise our brains for the dubious pleasure of a drink is just downright crazy, try telling me than 18 months ago.
I believe also that anxiety would make me a bit scatty, all over the place as it were. Sober,I get tasks finished.

All the best

love
caiHong