Notices

i am willing to go to any lengths...

Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

God bless you jstar...I'll be praying for you.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know how you feel been there myself its a horrible feeling it over rules your life.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi jstar, I'm not an AAer and I'm not religious, so I can't offer anything in that department. But I would like to say congratulations on choosing sobriety.

Just waking up without a hangover and remembering what you did the night before is a pretty good feeling. Good luck to you x
Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

great decision jstar

D
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Newbee

Hi Zee,
Thanks for your post. Just joined SR today. I'm not into AA nor God/religion either. I was sober for 22 years but had a "few beers" two years ago thinking I could handle it. I was in control for a while but lost my job last year and plunged back into the deep end. Now I'm on that "stink'in think'in" merry go round.

I'll quit for a couple of months then go on a week to 10 day binge of none stop drinking (then go thru 4 days of pure hell drying out). Since unemployed I'm bored but anxious of my situation. What keeps you sober since you don't seem to wrap your life around AA nor God? Thanks, a hopeless drunk who was stupid to pick this poison back up.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Taking that first step is like letting your breath out. You hadn't even realized you'd been holding it for all those years. What a relief!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not religious either...But I do pray...What kept you sober for 22 years?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Just wanted to encourage you Jstar to keep that determination going, to do whatever it takes to free yourself from the bonds of alcohol.

Although I'm not spiritual/religious so I cant comment on 12-step stuff as written in the BB. I do know that having a GOD of my understanding is a great concept of AA and has enriched my secular spiritual life ten fold as I work an agnostic/atheist version of the 12-steps as an AA member.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's awesome Zencat!!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Jstar, I could have written your original post myself....many times.

I could also relate to you sitting in the salon chair feeling like that....for years, I sat getting my hair done, HUNGOVER, everytime. Sitting there so I could try in vain to keep my internal pain from showing on me externally. It was a chore....because of alcohol.

It sounds like you have had enough. Do whatever you need to do to take back the life your deserve.

Big hugs Jstar....you can do this!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carvel View Post
Hi Zee,
Thanks for your post. Just joined SR today. I'm not into AA nor God/religion either. I was sober for 22 years but had a "few beers" two years ago thinking I could handle it. I was in control for a while but lost my job last year and plunged back into the deep end. Now I'm on that "stink'in think'in" merry go round.

I'll quit for a couple of months then go on a week to 10 day binge of none stop drinking (then go thru 4 days of pure hell drying out). Since unemployed I'm bored but anxious of my situation. What keeps you sober since you don't seem to wrap your life around AA nor God? Thanks, a hopeless drunk who was stupid to pick this poison back up.
By the way...Welcome to SR carvel...You should start your own thread and introduce yourself...I'm still curious how you stayed sober for 22 years...That is pretty amazing.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well... You just wrote my entire post for me!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Sapling!

22 years of sobriety was due to the birth of my first child. I did go to AA meetings back in 1988 and that did help. I read (I believe in the BB) about someone that went 30+ years sober then he picked it back up and died a few months later from alcohol. I should have heeded this important message!!!

You definitely pick-up where you left off. Since my company went BK and I took early retirement... I've had too much time and opportunity to indulge this old awful addiction. I'm trying volunteer work and seeking new employment with the Amer. Heart Asso. or Cancer Society.

I've tried connecting with a couple area AA groups... One pushed God/Jesus way too much. The other was mostly people that the legal system had ordered to attend due to DWI.

I'd love to find nice people such as the ones that write on this forum at a meeting. I'm glad I found SR last night because Stoli was strongly beckoning me back. Instead I spent the night reading posts and joined today.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I figured you were in AA.....22 years is quite a feat...I've heard of people with many years go back out and test the waters and not come back...I'm glad you did...I would bet if it was a matter of not liking the two groups you checked out...You could probably find one that would fit you...You know the program works....If you don't mind me asking you a question....Was your going back out a result of slacking on step 11 work or cutting back the meetings?...I'm just curious.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm sorry...Maybe I misread your post...You went to some meetings and quit for 22 years on your own?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carvel,

Many of us recover using different methods here, so take a look around and read.

I congratulate you on 22 years of sobriety, and I'm glad that you came looking for support at this time.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Neither. I quit going to AA meetings 21 1/2 years ago.

I stayed sober because I watched too many family members die from this disease. I know it's hereditary therefore I wanted to set a good example for my sons. Since they were out of the house and since my business was in the toilet... I had a couple of beers on a fishing trip two years ago.

What a mistake! I'm kicking myself everyday for picking this poison back up. I've been sober since May 23rd of this year.

Once you have this addiction there is no one (including myself) that can be a "normal" drinker again.

Thanks for asking. Carvel
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That's a real good lesson you can teach all of us about the progression of this disease...And where one drink can take you...I have my share of alcoholism in my family too...I was blessed with a pretty good dose of it. Damn near killed me.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Jstar.

Your thoughts are as mine and so I will post what I myself as you already know and you and I need to hear again. What lengths will you, I go to to quit? well it seems only organ failue and the inevitable described threat of death will bring me/you to stop drinking?

your'e done? you are sick and tired? those feeling and desires are all too familiar with me but it does not stop me drinking. I and you are going to die this way if we don't change. I'm still seeking the strength, its true. actions are louder than words. Stop or die this way. A pity me alkie that could not decline a drink.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I needed to come to my decision to take responsibility for my own drinking and the pain that I caused to those around me. Having relatives with their own trials with alcohol seemed to be irrelevant - it neither added to my immediate family's misery nor did it influence my decision to choose to not drink anymore.

Jimjim lays it out. To what lengths are you willing to go to stop drinking? The light went on when I decided that I could do anything to stop, that I would never drink again. You can choose to do that too.