Notices

This will help all of you thru the early days....

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This will help all of you thru the early days....

I have seen this on this website before but i just wanted to point out to those newcomers who may not have seen it. I watched an excellent documentary following the lives of 4 alcoholics online. its called rain in my heart. You will find it on youtube in 10 different parts.

its absolutely heartbreaking and has definitely scared me straight - well worth a watch
Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Saw it yesterday, well the first two. Made me think, UGH! I remembered it last night when I could smell the husband. How sad huh.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I watched the whole thing last night and sobbed like a child. It was so so awful to see what this horrible diease does to people. I couldn't believe that almost all of them went back to drinking! Makes me never want to drink again.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it was so sad to watch - 2 out of 4 dead and only 1 who has remained off the drink (well hopefully so - he was still off the drink a year after the programme was made anyway)

Excellent documentary though, i watched all 10 episodes back to back, i just couldnt stop, compelling stuff
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seeing Toni on all those machines.. and the vomiting blood.. wow. She seemed so depressed.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what is the link? oh never mind, I just saw where you put the name of it! Sorry!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and she was so young - and even worse, she still didnt believe that she was an alcoholic so very sad
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Rain in my Heart made an even bigger impact on me when I viewed it after a few months sober.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I watched it yesterday also and I cried so much. I still can't stop thinking about it. It was one of those things that I'm really glad I watched because every time I see alcohol now I'm just going to think about it, but it's also going to haunt me, I think. I just can't believe that woman who died at 26. It's so heartbreaking. I can't believe what people put themselves through because of alcohol.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WottaDowner View Post
and she was so young - and even worse, she still didnt believe that she was an alcoholic so very sad
Yeah. She drank because she was bored.. well she must have been bored A LOT. She died from it. Just so so sad
Old 06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Amazingly, that didn't bother me as bad as I thought it would. Some parts did, but I think the reason is I have seen this in person. 1 week or 2 before I quit drinking I went to see my best friends father in the hospital. He's been drinking like a fish for years. He was pretty much comatose. His eyes were open, he didn't respond, he looked horrible. His stomach was all bulging, his arms were purple with bruises, etc, etc... Skin and bones everywhere but his stomach. He looked like a corpse.

The thing is, he has been doing drinking for years and his health degrading over the years. He knows what he's doing to himself, and everyone has seen this happen.

It is horrible to see. The process is horrible, and everything about it is just horrible. This man also has been operating on one kidney for years. One was taken out 18-19 years ago due to kidney cancer.

He was back home after a little over a week I think. They thought he was going to die. They send him home with 10% of his liver functioning (they put some stint in his liver that would drain toxins out somewhere else, did a lot of things etc) anyway, he still smokes, but wasn't drinking (that anyone is aware of) I always figured he was attempting a slow suicide purposefully. There's not much one can do about that if someone has their mind made up.
All he did was lay in bed, watch TV and drink shots. The ONLY time he got up was to get a another shot or 3 (however many) of liquor (and that was only when his fridge broke in the bedroom)

To see it first hand over the years and right in front of you REALLY hits home.

I couldn't believe it that he had 10% liver function, that's sad when you consider that good news.

Anyway, sorry to rant. The whole time I watched this I thought of him, and am thankful I never got that bad.

Thanks for sharing.

-RDY
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just got done watching it. One of my big fears the whole time I was drinking was that I was going to go to the Dr.'s and hear that I had permanent, irreversible liver damage. Seeing that documentary just made all of the reasons that I was afraid VERY REAL. Thanks for the post. Anyone who is still struggling with or still contemplating getting sober and hasn't made the commitment to do so yet needs to watch those videos.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
Just got done watching it. One of my big fears the whole time I was drinking was that I was going to go to the Dr.'s and hear that I had permanent, irreversible liver damage. Seeing that documentary just made all of the reasons that I was afraid VERY REAL. Thanks for the post. Anyone who is still struggling with or still contemplating getting sober and hasn't made the commitment to do so yet needs to watch those videos.
I know. So sad that the man that hadn't drank in 8 year, STILL died of alcoholism. It was terrible.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
I know. So sad that the man that hadn't drank in 8 year, STILL died of alcoholism. It was terrible.
Nigel?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
Nigel?
Yes, Nigel.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
Yes, Nigel.
He sure didn't look like he'd been sober for 8 years. My friends dad looks similar to him actually, just much thinner and swollen gut. However, even with my friends dad, they did say he didn't have to much longer. 2-3 years left at the most, maybe that's Nigel's case, but he was in a little better shape when he quit. Not sure... Poor Guy. I thought our livers healed, but I guess once it gets to a point of no return... well...

I did wonder how he would be able to get a transplant if he was still drinking. Something probably distracted me when I missed he had quit. But that would explain how he was legible for one.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah.. he had quit 8 years ago, but he already had Chirosis. And he just kept going downhill because his liver was failing him.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago. I cried and cried, it's like watching a car crash and stopping to see the passengers' mangled bodies, knowing there is nothing you can do for them. So heartbreaking! Also reminded me of the last day my mom was alive. Seeing her lying there all yellow and gaunt, only able to breathe on her own. I wish there was no alcohol industry, it is a legalized drug that is just as powerful and destructive as meth! This movie is so raw and real, make sure you are in the mood for it. It makes the show Intervention seem so cheerful and uplifting in comparison.