Notices

A New Beginning...

Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome, dig! You'll get great support here, it's a good start. Keep us posted
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

hello Dig! So glad you are here and ready to make that big jump! There is so much support here. I wish you all the luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good deal dig...We'll be here...As far as telling the wife goes....You could always say something like..."You know...We talked about my drinking before...And I think I'm going to go awhile without it"....Something simple like that...Just a thought. Glad you're here dig.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR dig - as you can see some great support here

D
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Welcome Dig. Definitely check out AVRT in the Secular section. It totally saved me. It's also called Rational Recovery. If you google it you'll get the website. My former drinking and life situation are very similiar to yours, it is possible to stop permanently and the benefits are untold. Stick around.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dig

ok everyone... leaving now for the vacation at the fams! no booze packed. not stopping on the way either. the big test will be when offered wine or a stiff drink at dinner tonight and in the evening while we catch up around the fire. i certainly chose a challenging weekend to introduce myself here and start out down the path i want to go... will keep everyone posted
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I actually had a family reunion held a month into my sobriety...In the the town I live in...So I couldn't get out of it..All drinkers...If I could make it through that...I'd say you got a chance..Hang in there dig!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good Luck Dig!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome dig! I too was a "functional alcoholic" now I'm just a recovering one. You sound like me only about 3 years ago when I was drinking 2 to 3 drinks on weeknights and then going nuts on the weekends.
You're in the right place here! People are very helpful and supportive here. And I agree with the others. Tell your wife. She probably already deep down knows it and she might actually be relieved to here it come out.
Itchy here once told me that the more tools you have in your toolbox, the better off you are. Many times our family members are a pretty strong asset. (I know my hubby and son are!)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
dig

Hi friends. Just an update - It was easy at first, refused drink after drink and just said I was tired from the drive. The next day I had one drink with my dad at the pool. Then the next night I drank socially at dinner. Not going to lie though, I drank all day the next. I feel like I failed, but at the same time - as a functional alcoholic I believe I would have easily spent more than $100-150 and I spent $40 this "weekend" (five days) --- we are heading home tomorrow and I plan on talking with the wife in the car. It was really bad timing, but I think my new beginning can start this week.