Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i mean laid back not that i got laid when drunk lol
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Life.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank to separate myself from myself and bury whatever I was feeling. I don't know if there's an event per se, I liked how alcohol made me feel from my very first drunk.

There are lots of things I can point to which fell into the category of stuff I was drinking around or stuff I was drinking to numb myself to. But I don't think those things "made" me an alcoholic. I think drinking is an alcoholic's response to those things.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm pretty convinced that merely drinking vast quantities made me an alcoholic.
I had family emotional trauma, and feelings of inferiority, etc, that alcohol soothed. But ultimately, from college onwards, I had no conception of "responsible" drinking. I prided myself on how much I could put away and remain "apparently" sober. If that guy is having 6 Manhattans, I'll have 7, and walk a straight line out the door. I worked at it like an athlete works at excelling in a sport. My tolerance grew so much that on one ER trip, as I think I mentioned to the skepticism of some on SR, I had a BAC of .4, and I was lucid and walking about. So biochemically and physiologically I built a real solid foundation for addiction, over the course of twenty odd years. Once the hangovers became withdrawal, I knew I was in serious trouble, but I kept it up.

I was just listening to a local news segment that mentioned a priest who always gets the question "why?" (why did this happen to me). He said he had no idea, but that the more important question was "what?"--as in What are we going to *do* about it.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What made me an alcoholic?

Practice, my friend. Lots . .and lots . . of practice.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I moved state and knew noone, then my mother got cancer and died in 8 weeks
I always wonder if my drinkiing wouldve gotten so bad if these things hadnt happened. I always loved a drink but never alone, just socially. I guess I'll never know and I know there is no going back.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Growing up in a dysfunctional home environment didn't help, but I'm not looking to place blame anywhere. I'm moving forward.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Definitely self medicating. I was hurt by someone and that's how I dealt with it.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

In the beginning it was to help with shyness & being self-conscious. I was never very comfortable in my own skin. In the end, I was drinking because that's the way I handled everything. There was no particular reason why. I didn't have a bad childhood or some terrible event that haunted me - I just enjoyed getting numb. I still don't know why I thought it was necessary.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Fear.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

To be honest, boredom.

Pain, I quickly learned not to medicate with alcohol since I'm an emotional drinker and it just makes things worse. Shyness is a bit more of a problem but I can go to a party and be outgoing without being drunk if I force myself to do so.

Waking up in the morning without any idea how to kill the rest of the day is what does it for me.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Desire to fit in mostly. Though I drank to get drunk the first time I ever drank alcohol. That is the way it started and that is the way it ended.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hmmmm, I can definitely pinpoint when it started. Around 53 years ago (give or take a month or two), a little tadpole penetrated an egg...and voila, here I am some 53 years later - an alcoholic, a former alcoholic, in recovery, recovered, a non-drinker...whatever you want to call me. THAT is when it started (probably in RI somewhere).
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Complicated. Genetics....Character flaws-immaturity, self-centeredness. Mental illness-depression and anxiety. Family problems.
What made it much worse? Gastric bypass.
Would it have progressed to such a point without the bypass? I don't think so but I'll never know.
I guess it's water under the bridge. I have to move on and deal with the hand that was dealt to me.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
Hmmmm, I can definitely pinpoint when it started. Around 53 years ago (give or take a month or two), a little tadpole penetrated an egg...and voila, here I am some 53 years later - an alcoholic, a former alcoholic, in recovery, recovered, a non-drinker...whatever you want to call me. THAT is when it started (probably in RI somewhere).
That may be the most profound and beautiful posts I've ever seen.

K, my emotions may be a little bit swayed by your signature that includes Eeyore, my daughter's ten-year love affair with a stuffed animal.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Contestant

Hello all! This is my first post. Please allow me to introduce myself: Hello, it's me!

Alcohol answered a few needs for me, I think. My first drink was in my late teens, but 21 is when I started to guzzle. Made me feel grown-up, independent, made me forget my self-consciousness. Over time, it seemed to helped to elevate my mood, which I needed, because I was/am suffering from depression, I'm fairly sure.

I'm also victim of habit and I force myself into cycles of stupid behavior, when I know that I ultimately have control. It's a combination of how alcohol meshes so nicely with my flaws that makes it so easy to keep drinking.

I've spoken enough! Thanks for listening.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Alcohell + time =alcoholic.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Grayscale. :ghug3
I'm not sure whether I drank because I was depressed/stressed, or whether I became depressed/stressed because I drank. I know I was happy when I was drunk, but when it wore off... I was back to square one.
But whether I was depressed before I started drinking at university (I'm not counting the very small number of times when I was 13) I simply don't remember.

I'm sure... no, I know you'll find the help and support you need here.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Grayscale

D
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
instant

drinking too much for too long