Notices

New girl on the block...

Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New girl on the block...

Hi everyone. I'd like to start by saying I think you're all fantastic and I wish you all continued success!

I stumbled across this forum during my search for help and answers. I have longed to be free of this demon for quite some time. Judging by what I've read here, I think I've found what I'm looking for. Support. Not just any support, but support from people who know and understand what I'm going through. People who have been where I am.*

So thank you for having me. I look forward to joining in and learning lots on this very bumpy road ahead.*

Here starts day 1
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Fancy...come visit us in HATZ!!

You are in a great place
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bless you x

I only joined in March this year and this forum is my saving grace.

I log on every day (several times a day) and I have been sober for one whole MONTH!!!

I truly could not have managed to do it without SR.

You are right that we can only find the correct support with others who share this addiction.

You are in the right place and I hope you start posting your stories and tips to help others
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fancy!

I`m glad you found us and that you decided to post. We are family here and we do understand how scary and hard this is. Good for you for choosing to live a sober life.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Welcome, Fancy! Believe me, if anyone knows what you've been going through, we do. This is a wonderful place for support. Glad you're here with us.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Fancy - it's great to have you join us. I was all alone with my misery until I found SR. The wonderful friends I've made here have strengthened me and given me hope. May you feel the same way! Congratulations on your decision to have a new life.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Fancy,I do hope we can help you on your bumpy road journey.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think you'll like it here.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! I know I'm in the right place, it already feels like home it is day 1 for me after having 6 days under my belt, I caved

I am not an everyday drinker but twice a week, and to the extreme. If you know what i mean

It's a vicious cycle and I want to be free of the guilt & shame. I know I deserve better. I'm in the prime of my life and want to enjoy every minute.

Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with the cravings? I literally fight in my head over the desire to stop off at the liquor store and the voice within always wins. I feel I'm stronger than that but most times I'm not. I give in. How does one fight back and win?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Fancy Face

D
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Fancy, I've found it helpful to get out of my head when I'm craving. It helps to know that it's just a craving ... it can't control you and it only has the control that you give it. When those feelings come over me, I do anything I can to divert myself ... I journal, go for a walk, cook, get into a good book ... whatever works. Cravings DO pass and they get easier after some sober time. Think about some of the things you like to do that get you out of your head ... and then go do them.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! I love the User id!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, FancyFace!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been reading and reading and this place is exactly what I need. The advice & support is overwhelming! What a gift. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard so nice to have you
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome Fancy! We're all kind of awesome here. Glad you're here to be awesome too.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, FancyFace, and welcome to the team. This is a great place, and I am very lucky to have found it too.

You mentioned a voice that leads you to the drink. There is a whole bunch of stuff that I learned about that voice, what it meant for me to hear that voice, and how to deal with it to the point now that I only have to smell that voice and it gets shut right down.

You are absolutely right, you deserve better than the guilt and shame that goes along with drinking like that. You will find lots of experience here at SR, strength and hope too. I hope that the forums help you find what you are looking for, as they did for me. Keep posting.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome FancyFace!

Glad you found us - this place is my anchor! Just reading here got me through a lot of cravings in the first days. I got a lot of ideas here and also on the internet and found what works best for me ("Urge surfing" and the practice of "mindfulness" have both been helpful, as well as AVRT - you can google them for more info). It gets better and easier as you go along.

I never could have imagined it, but after a while, I caught myself going through a whole day without thinking about alcohol. It's worth the effort upfront just to have your mind back and feel that sense of freedom. :day6
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fancy! I am relatively new here, and don't post a whole lot, but I read all the time. I have found so much help and information in the last few days and it has really gotten me through! Just wanted to give you a "thumbs up" and encourage you to keep up the good work!