Notices

2 days off

Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days off

Hi Evryone,

I was drinking daily for almost 2 years. Some days it could be 2 beers, others a half bottle of vodka, but something every day. I began to have insomnia and nightmares and panic attacks so decided i had enough. I went to the doctor and only said i was having anxiety. She gave me 14 xanax and cipramil for the long term. I am now on day 2. My plan is to take 3 x .25mg for 2 days, then 2 for the next 2 days and so on until the 14 tablets run out. its been 48 hours now and I feel absolutely no symptoms - am i lucky or could it still be dangerous?

BTW as far as i know im not physically dependent, never had shakes or anything like that - just a mental addiction.

Thanks for listening
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Most people experience physical withdrawl symptoms around 24 hours after their last drink. The medication is probably helping a lot with the anxiety most people feel when quitting but you may experience some physical symptoms (insomnia is extremely common). The anxiety is often long lasting. Anywhere from weeks to months. For some people an undiagnosed anxiety disorder could even have been part of what led to the drinking. As far as physical symptoms go, just keep yourself well hydrated and well fed. Start on a good multivitamin too. When we're drinking we so often let our health and diet fall by the wayside.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Ah, i saw you went to the doctor but missed that you didn't tell them about the alcoholism. Well, that's a problem. Xanax will help with the anxiety but isn't the best thing for coming down off alcohol. Personally, i would go back to the doctor ASAP, give them the real deal and see if they want to put you on anything else. Being honest with your doctor is incredibly important. If you're not honest with him/her you can really jeopardize your health and even your life. If you were drinking enough to be at risk of DTs then you're not out of the woods until as long as a week after your last drink. Personally, i'd go set the record straight with the doc.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you, it would be best to be honest with the dr, particularly if she's giving you medication.

Congratulations on 2 days sober!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies

I didnt tell the doctor and i really dont want to (I know that sounds v silly but i have my reasons).

I was originally drinking all day every day but i cut down in the last few weeks. Approx the last 2 weeks, I have been having just 3 beers per night with no problems at all. I figured because i had been drinking so little, I would probably be okay just taking the xanax.

i am not missing the drink at all and have had a wonderful last 2 days, taking my kid out to the park and actually enjoying life again. It is a great feeling

Im not feeling any physical symptoms at all so I guess im not at risk of DTs?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

96 hours later....

Hi everyone,

Ive been 96 hours without a drink now - ive been taking 2x.25mg xanax a day. I have another 4 xanax left which i will slowly cut down over the next 3 days. I had absolutely no symptoms at all - feeling, sleeping, eating fine. Am i out of the woods yet?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

awesome, thanks for your reply

I just dont want to start getting anxious about seizures n stuff (witnessed my ex husband having one when he tried to quit booze)

Hopefully im in the clear now and looking forward to a new booze free life
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They use Xanax for detox...They gave me Librium..A different Benzo...Same purpose. For future reference...It's always best to be honest with your doctor...No need to play with fire. I didn't have to tell mine anything...He just looked at me.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know I really should have said it to my doctor, but just couldnt bring myself to say it - no one knows. I honestly dont think i was physically dependent, just mentally.

I acutally looked at that scale yesterday and its sais i was having very mild withdrawal.

The internet is what is scaring me the most tbh, I should stop googling everything and just get on with it!!

Thanks for the replies, hope you are all doing well xx
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WottaDowner View Post
I should stop googling everything and just get on with it!!
I agree with this...I think you can google "panic attack" and give yourself one.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts here under our medical advice rule - please remember guys:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
D