Notices

New Member Introduction

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Member Introduction

Hi everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 37 and I stumbled across this forum while I was looking for ways to quit drinking. A little about my drinking. I use to drink just about everyday for many years. Over the past 5 years or so I slowed down a bit to drinking a few days a week. But, I continue to face the problem that most of the time when I do drink I can't have just one. The switch in the head flips and down goes 4-5-6 or more drinks, usually more, as was the case last night. So I woke up today, hung over and dissapointed yet again in myself for not having better control and negatively affecting my health and potentially the relationships with those around me. So I decided that this has got to stop, I have a little girl and wife to think about and can't keep doing this even if it is only 1-2 nights a week (which I rationalize by saying to myself "well I don't drink everyday so there's nothing wrong with this.")

The attempts to stop drinking in the past have not worked all that well. I'm good for 2 weeks or so, then the cycle start again, I feel stressed and pressure builds up and I have one drink here one drink there to release the pressure valve sort of speak then all of a sudden another day of 4+ drinks then the hangover and regret.

As I start day 1 what advise are those further down the road willing to share to 1. stop using the drink as a release valve for pressure. 2. How to deal with that little voice that says "eh, I haven't had a drink in a week and a half it's ok to go to the garage listen to the ball game and have a couple."
3. How to remember/remind myself that when I go out that I'm not to order a drink as it is so second nature that I don't think twice about it?

Well, I think I rambled on long enough, thanks for letting me get this out and for having a place to be able to get it out.

Steve
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Steve! This is a great place to share experience, learn from others, and get support.

Facing honestly the undeniable lack of control is crucial. When I realized that 99.9% of the time when I pick up one drink it becomes many many more, and often continues for more than a week, I came to understand that the only way to characterize my behavior was as alcoholic. I still struggle with this idea, and I have 19 days of sobriety since a bad relapse (which began by picking up just one. As an AA friend said, we are all at arm's length from relapse--no matter how much sober time we have). I was struggling today, thinking about all the summer time activities that for me were always, for at least 20 years, booze saturated. I thought, "wow, now I have to figure out "how to live" sober. It's not easy, but a better life awaits, without family strife, health problems, misery, and days of terrible sickness.

I wish you all the best!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I'll answer your questions.

1. Dealing with pressure/stress by drinking usually makes it worse. It may appear to help at the time but afterwards it just feels worse. I think drinking alcohol to 'relax' is a very common issue, but that doesn't mean it is sensible. I can't tell you how YOU would be able to replace that crutch, but I started baking to take my mind off things. I found it very therapeutic. Do you have any hobbies that you can go to when you're feeling under pressure?

2. That little voice needs to be put in its place. It's my worst enemy, and it masquerades itself as a friend, a lot of the time. But I've learnt to understand it and deal with it, and not give it too much of my time. I find that just knowing that it isn't me, it's the voice of addiction, has really helped. In the beginning it was harder to ignore it, but every time it speaks to me now, I know that I've come too far to give it any time or worth. I know that it is not part of the real me and I push it to one side. Recognising that voice is a good step towards not allowing it to control you. Remember that it is just a voice, nothing more. You are the one in control of your actions and your thought processes, and over time that voice will be there less and less.

3. Make it known to everyone that you no longer drink. This way, you will already be prepared to order a soft drink and also, nobody else will put an alcoholic drink in front of you.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steve07 View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 37 and I stumbled across this forum while I was looking for ways to quit drinking. A little about my drinking. I use to drink just about everyday for many years. Over the past 5 years or so I slowed down a bit to drinking a few days a week. But, I continue to face the problem that most of the time when I do drink I can't have just one. The switch in the head flips and down goes 4-5-6 or more drinks, usually more, as was the case last night. So I woke up today, hung over and dissapointed yet again in myself for not having better control and negatively affecting my health and potentially the relationships with those around me. So I decided that this has got to stop, I have a little girl and wife to think about and can't keep doing this even if it is only 1-2 nights a week (which I rationalize by saying to myself "well I don't drink everyday so there's nothing wrong with this.")

The attempts to stop drinking in the past have not worked all that well. I'm good for 2 weeks or so, then the cycle start again, I feel stressed and pressure builds up and I have one drink here one drink there to release the pressure valve sort of speak then all of a sudden another day of 4+ drinks then the hangover and regret.

As I start day 1 what advise are those further down the road willing to share to 1. stop using the drink as a release valve for pressure. 2. How to deal with that little voice that says "eh, I haven't had a drink in a week and a half it's ok to go to the garage listen to the ball game and have a couple."
3. How to remember/remind myself that when I go out that I'm not to order a drink as it is so second nature that I don't think twice about it?

Well, I think I rambled on long enough, thanks for letting me get this out and for having a place to be able to get it out.

Steve
Hi Steve i am new to this site too although i have been sober for 16 months. It is hard i know but for me it was changing the way i think in relation to alcohol. You have to remember that you are in a relationship with alcohol which is not working . Find other ways to release that valve. Remember what ever emotion you are feeling or whatever is causing you stress will not be improved by picking up a drink. Have you thought about AA or one to one counselling.? Take care and stay strong.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Steve!

I think it helped me a lot to realize that 'the voice' was just that, no more. It didn't control me. When you hear it, recognize it, and then let it go.

I think you will find that each time you get through a craving, it will make the next time a bit easier. For me, that's how it worked.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I don't think it matters what method the sober folks have used to get and stay that way, we can all agree that a single drink will mess up the whole dang thing. So, we don't have one. Stay in charge, you always get to chose whether to take that first drink or not, and it can't happen without your permission and action.

Dealing with stress for a change after years of making it worse by drinking turns out to be a relief. Those issues that were terrifying while we were drinking are now not so bad. If you are sober, then there are all sorts of things we can do to reduce stress in our lives. Look around you - what do people who don't drink do with their time? Try that.

That voice is nicely described by MrsKing. I can't add anything to that, except, if you want to know more about it and this way of staying securely and permanently sober, learn some more about AVRT on our Secular Connections forum.

How do you remind yourself that you don't order a drink if you are at a restaurant? After a while it becomes second nature, because drinking is something you don't do. You used to do that but it will never happen again.

Good luck on your journey, Steve, and please keep posting here on SR.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1. yes, yes, YES! stop. you know very well that the "pressure release" is only temporary. and when you wake up the next day, the pressure is worse and now you are faced with a hangover and internal feelings of guilt, which makes everything worse than it was before your first drink.
2. AVRT
3. Remember why you are making this decision in the first place. You are sound and rational in your thinking... we do not seem to have an "off" switch, where we can just stop after one or two drinks. For us it is all or nothing. Think about your loved ones and your own health. The number of benefits you'll gain, by not having that first drink is countless. There are more precious things in life than beer (or your alcohol of choice).
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome steve! Everyone has already nailed it, so i'm here to say hello. Stay in touch with us. This board has helped me reach 25 days. I don't know what i'd do with out it.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! We are here for you and as one previous poster said, try AVRT. Google AVRT crash course and see what you think.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by MrsKing
Remember that it is just a voice, nothing more. You are the one in control of your actions and your thought processes, and over time that voice will be there less and less.
So true. Those like myself that are able to come to this great realization, that voice can be dealt with.

Knowing that the 'voice' (AV as known to AVRT ) is powerless unless I give it power.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Steve!

What helped me the most was the experience/support of other people who knew what I was going through, like the folks here at SR. Just reading here every day keeps me motivated.

Dealing with stress is a big thing for me, too. Most of it I bring on myself..... that means that I also have the power to change it. Cutting back on obligations, changing my negative self-talk, and staying in the moment (taking my life one day at a time) are a few of the things that have helped me.

It's a process though, so be patient with yourself. At first, it's enough just to deal with not picking up a drink for the next day or next hour. What seems like deprivation at first eventually becomes a sense of freedom and a positive journey towards being the best we can be.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Hi Steve and welcome! Everyone else has summed it up pretty good so I suggest looking into their suggestions and seeing what works.

I too felt I could have 'just' one or two drinks but it just doesn't seem to work that way. I recently realized that when I reread A LOT of journal entries I wrote over the years. All of them start with 'I thought I could have just one...' and ended with 'I can't believe what I ended up drinking last night...'. I finally wanted to stop feeling hungover and riddled with shame and guilt every morning which has been 95% of all the mornings over the past 12 years. No lie.

Find a substitute - excercise, reading, anything you like to do just to take your mind off booze. You'll find with strength and time that little voice will grow quieter and quieter. I don't imagine it ever disappears but we'll learn to give it less and less control.

I'm going to look into this AVRT topic myself. Let's find something that'll work! Keep checking in here regularly - even if you don't feel like posting it's great to hear other people's thoughts and stories!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Thinking about the idea of an 'off switch', and whether we have one or not. I am beginning to think we do have one, 'ceptin' it's really an 'on switch', it works both ways you see. We don't talk about a off light switch, so why would we talk about an off alcohol switch. It's just an light switch. Leave the alcohol switch in the off position and the drinking thing goes away.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve

I think it's important, vital even,. to accept that drinking is not the best way to deal with stress/pressure - it creates a lot more problems than it solves in my opinion.

Support is pretty important in staying sober I think, and will really help with your points #2 and #3.
There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Like others have suggested here, I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

welcome aboard
D
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve, I started this site 2 days ago and the support has been tremendous. I have also the same problem but when I drink it is only on the weekends but when I do it is about a fifth a day. I have been turning down invites to events I know their will be drinking at because I know myself. How is the detox going for you? I also know all about being mad at myself in the morning. I think everyone is mad at me and then beat myself up for blacking out all weekend. From what I hear it does get better. GOOD LUCK!