Notices
View Poll Results: What AID was successful in your recovery?
AA/NA
32.26%
AVRT
16.13%
SMART
0%
Soberrecovery.com
25.81%
Self-Help Books other than any published by the above
6.45%
Other
19.35%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

What aid did you use for your recovery (that was successful)?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What aid did you use for your recovery (that was successful)?

I saw an old poll somewhere and wanted to put another one up, as I wanted to include a couple more options.

I would love to see how the results come out. Successful aids only.

-RDY and DONE!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I saw a counselor but I also realized I began to open up about my alcoholism with others. Not that I would wear it on my sleeve, but I was honest and not ashamed to speak of it when appropriate.

The counseling is nice, but I think the honesty with others and myself was what really made a difference.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wish I would have had more than 6 options for the poll. So many things I could have put on there.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

AA and therapy.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, SR has helped so much. I also recently discovered AVRT that helped hugely, too. I didn't find either of these things until I'd been sober 2 and a half months, though. Before that it was sheer willpower and the determination to better my life!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of them.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

12 step fellowships, following the directions for recovery in the Big Book. Best gift I never would have expected
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Counseling
Old 06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

AA, 12 Steps, Bible, Settingcaptivesfree, and SR.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In order to interpret the results, I'd need to know the measure of success.

5 days, 3 months, 1 year, 10 years more?

How about how many times coming through the door ?

Contented and Happy sobriety ? Actual Serenity ??
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been sober since September 14th, 2000.

For me, books and SR have been my lifelines.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

SR has been helpful to me. So has running, playing guitar and working on an old car. 26 days so far.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Steely determination and strong willpower.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

I tried everything you can think of aside from shaving my head bald and passing out pamplets and the airport! The ONLY thing that ever worked for me was 12 step recovery.
My local NA group rocks!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haha!!! this is why there needs to be more options for the poll. A fill in the blank would be nice!

For me, it's just been SR, exercise and pure determination. A little shopping too
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR for me - and acceptance that I wanted and needed to change

D
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

That poll doesn't work very well for me. I'd have to check more than one thing, which it doesn't give me the option to do, and it doesn't include everything that was helpful. So here's my list (in order of helpfulness):

1. The irrevocable decision to quit drinking, no matter what
2. Therapy with a licensed mental health professional
3. Various self-help books (I can't pick out one in particular as I used bits and pieces from everything I read, and I read a lot)
4. Social support from friends, family, and a few folks I met in recovery groups

Level of success of the above has been excellent, going on 14 years now, no relapses.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR sammyson

D
Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What is success? I was successful yesterday, with SR
Old 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I could not answer as I used all of them, as well as counseling, in hospital detox, rehab which I quit after a few days, I read and used a lot of Smart and did AA and here after I detoxed and had my docs and counselors in the loop as well as the VA. Not to mention family and friends and my two terrific grown boys, as well. After three months I started to drop what I didn't need, or what was having an opposite effect. I was a counselor my self at one time using RET which is where SMART and AVRT came from as a base. But I tempered that with reality therapy.

Now I just use SR. But I have no favorite as all recovery methods have some things I like and some things I dislike. I take what I can use and leave the rest. That drives some folks nuts who start thumping books at me. Whoa! I am not here for stress folks, I am here to share my recovery and support others of whatever stripe.

I am of the opinion that we can do everything within reach and as we get more stable in our sobriety drop those things that no longer are applicable. That does not mean that another may not choose to do one thing or book forever. All that said in a contented way not upset.

You see, there is no right way, just a custom way for each of us that we can follow and live. It isn't in a book because even when we follow one perfectly we think, another follower of the same book will say no my interpretation is wrong. Never mind the followers of a different book.

Books are to be read, not thumped. I like Robert Heinlein and you Like Anne Mcafferey. It doesn't matter as long as we both get enjoyment out of it.

Recovery is the same way for me. It makes no difference what recovery method you use, as long as we both are sober. Then we can have the mind and heart to help others get sober too.

If my sobriety is ever at risk I have the advantage to select the exact right tool to stay sober. Since my third month SR has been all I needed. I like the people at AA and I still have my Docs and my counselors.

I am focused on living now, not fear of relapse or any other bugger bears. I will never drink again. I can't any more than all of you. But I don't dwell on it any more except to tell my story here and help others when I can by posting my experiences, pointing to the fact that they are no worse, and in some cases no better, than I am here. You see I am a mutt like my dogs. No pedigree from one recovery method or another, no graduations. My recovery method was a Heinz 57, taking all I could from each. I stole with a smile. When someone said you can't have that without this part , I smiled and moved on. S(obe)R.

So sorry, I could not vote, your poll had nothing for "did them all and still sober in spite of them!" (joke)

(Note for those who don't know me, I am very serious about my being recovered. Not ever able to, wanting to, or craving to.)