Notices

Rollercoaster of emotions

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rollercoaster of emotions

Man when this is hard it is SO HARD! The hardest thing I've ever done.
But man when it's good it is SO GOOD! Better than I've felt in years. When I'm having a great day I feel like this is exactly the feeling I was searching for with every drink! Is baffles me that I can go from these two extremes in such a short space of time, one hour to the next!

When does this rollercoaster ride slow down a little?

6 weeks sober
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it takes T.I.M.E. when i 1st got into recovery, that rollercoaster had somehugehills and some very low valleys. as time has gone on, them hills and valleys have gotten closer together.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and cool beans on 6 weeks!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Buckle up DoinThis...And don't drink. Everyday gets better...Believe me...What are you doing for your recovery?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same!! I'm so determined to change my life so am accepting the times when I'm anxious and filled with self doubt, because I know they are part of the journey I'm on and will pass.
The good times are better than any I've experienced and I'm following that path with all the strength I've got.
We can do this xxx
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The rollercoaster pretty much levelled out for me around 8-12 weeks DT - I began to feel constant again and consistent in my emotions...I hope it will be the same for you too

D
Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on six weeks. I believe the further you get away from the alcohol, the better.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Having highs and lows is all part of living and the daily experience of being human , it's how we deal with and respond to those situations that's important .

Over time i've slowly felt more centred , to make an analogy with surfing , ups and downs happen but i tend to ride the waves now and not get overwhelmed or wipedout .
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR mecanix

D
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing but SR and exercise Sapling. I really want to get to AA tho, not sure what's stopping me. I keep saying I will. Jeni, me too, I have complete faith it'll get better but dang when it's hard it's HARD hey! I've got my eye on the 3 month mark cos when I was preggers that's when I kinda lost the urge to drink. If I have a strong craving I tell myself a drink will just set me back on getting through this madness.

Yeh we can do this! Thanx everyone! X
Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
Nothing but SR and exercise Sapling. I really want to get to AA tho, not sure what's stopping me. I keep saying I will.
SR and exercise are great...Nothing wrong with adding more to it. We humans like to interact with other humans...That especially holds true for alcoholics...I think that's why bars do so well. It can't hurt you to try a couple meetings...Meet some people going through or have been through what you are...If you don't like it...Don't go back. If you meet some cool people...And you like what they are getting out of it....They'll show you how to do it....This isn't easy...Try and do whatever you can to make it easier.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know, I know, it sounds exactly what I need. I love meeting people, love hearing people's stories, love talking and need some guidance and relief. I have only excuses.... It's freeeezing out and 2 year olds are draaaaaining, blah blah. I will get there tho
Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know what it is?....Fear of the unknown.....It keeps a lot of people from trying AA....When my fear of the known...Became greater than my fear of the unknown....I was willing to try anything to keep this stuff out of my life...For good. I just had to get to that point.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've actually been to about 4 meetings. I really enjoyed them but yes I did feel somewhat uncomfortable initially. While I was listening to people speak tho it was a feeling I can't describe, it was awesome. It seriously is laziness at the moment, with a little of insucurity added. I really would love to go in the mornings when im fresh as by the end of the day I'm stuffed but I have a 2 yr old. I kno u can bring em along but really?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My homegroup meeting is at 8 in the morning...It's a great way to start the day...We have a new mother in our group that been going for two and a half years....She brings her kid every day...I think she's four months old now.....That kid gets more attention than any kid I've ever seen....That's what it's about.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and Congrats on six weeks sober!!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean Dointhis! Those good feelings, and waking up sober, just make all the tough times worthwhile. Keep reminding yourself of that.
And congrats on 6 weeks, I hope to get there someday too.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

For me the real dramas settled at 90 days. It took a full six months for my emotions to approach something normal. Having said that there was more good than bad after week 1
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Glad to see your post. I was thinking this very thing on my way into work.

Somedays... Like today.... I can even range in emotions within hours.

I am holding on and riding the waves.

Glad for your post.

My best to you!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am really positive that the future can only be a million times better without alcohol. The hard emotional stuff we have to face along the way is necessary for us to develop as adults. I'm discovering things about myself every day and I strive to be a better person, the person that I deserve to be for myself and my family. I'm determined that no matter how rocky it is, I will keep at it. If i hadn't quit the booze, my future would have been bleak.
The good days are great. Brilliant in fact. And I can remember them afterwards!!x