Notices

Food Made with Alcohol

Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA member

I never knowingly eat anything with alcohol in.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't eat or drink alcohol.. makes things pretty clear for me, but obviously it's a personal decision.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I took a cough suppressant last night in the middle of the night. Before bed I had a non-alcohol one, but it just didn't do much for me. So I took the other one. I seem to be fine this morning.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't even think about alcohol in food. I have used cooking wine, vermouth, etc in food. I still have the above in the house, and it doesn't bother me. Nor do I care to drink it.

I think we are all different. However, if I went to the grocery store and bought a bottle of good Cabernet for some homemade spaghetti sauce or some beer for something that called for beer, the problem would be the alcohol sitting here. (I don't consider cooking wine or vermouth (without vodka) drinkable) But the other 2 YES. I am too early in my recovery to have that sitting around.

However, I wouldn't decline a food product that was prepared that contained alcohol, nor do I feel it would trigger me. I don't even think a grasshopper, or similar milkshake with a tad of alcohol would trigger me. Never did a thing for me.

But straight, heck yeah. Keeping it in my house for cooking would be the problem right now, I dare yet test it. Not at only 45 days sober anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I don't eat foods that have "raw" alcohol in them. So, no booze-filled candies, etc. I also stay away from medicines that contain alcohol.

At one time I also avoided cooked foods with alcohol, but ended up eating such things unintentionally so many times, with no problem, that I realized there was no point in worrying. So I eat those now, even if I know they have been cooked with alcohol, and it's never been a problem.

That's my experience but I don't think there's anything wrong with being extremely careful at the start of abstinence. As you can tell from the comments here, we're really all quite different in this issue and what triggers one person is fine for another. So until you know yourself...my advice is to be very careful.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If I feel the slightest chance that something contains alcohol I turn it down. Alcohol will kill me.

I've even sent meals prepared at a very expensive restaurant back because they came smelling slightly of alcohol (and our noses become VERY attuned to it). They tried to argue the same way your friend did, saying it was cooked off, but when I asked them what would happen if they gave the same argument to someone with peanut allergies, and the person ate it believeing what they were told and then died as a consequence, they took it back and not only gave me the same meal prepared without the alcohol, but free too.

Bottom line - doesn't always cook off - there's no guaruntees