Notices

"First things First"

Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

"First things First"

One of the many mottoes of AA. But this early morning am thinking of this one with the big American summer holiday well on its way. For me this one is always hard being my fathers birthday is the 4th and a long drinking family, I stayed away last year and probably will again this year. I do miss being around for the party but I know I just cant put myself there still yet.

So as this motto goes, it means simply to keep in mind that being the alcoholic that I am , I have to always remember that is my number one problem. I can not let family, friends , work, or anything and I mean anything take the drivers seat or precedence.

Thankfully as I have gone along in my program I have learned things that might sway my stinkin thinkin to wavier. So in short if I catch myself getting worried or upset about it , that I just dont have that luxury to entertain such thoughts.Is so easy to get caught up and forget the number one problem.

Anyway hope everyone enjoys their day.

And smile cause sobriety looks good on You!!!!!!!!

Good love, Inda
Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

whatever you need to do, is right for you Inda
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! 4th of July has always been a big drinking day for me. Im taking precautions as well this year. Happy 4th! Good job!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi Inda, good to hear from you on this.

I understand what you are thinking. I'm at a family reunion at an East Coast beach and 24 of us are in two houses. My family drinks, and I was the biggest among them. So, a few weeks ago, I announced I've been dry for 10 months and plan to keep it that way. Most folks gave an attaboy, but my dad, a preacher, decided he wanted to start talking program-speak to me, so I had to shut that down.

Anyway, there's been drinking every day, and I don't give a damn. If I was drinking, all my stinkin' thinkin' and family emotion would create an instant meltdown, and make me the town ass/town drunk, at once. Ironically, its been having a good affect, out of my stubbornness. The cost has been an unusual dynamic with my wife. Still lots of funky family feelings, but I'm repressing them successfully. It will give me stuff to think about on the long way home. My family puts the "dys" in dysfunction.

Anyway, whether you go or not, you've got the right attitude. Keep it going!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Alright what a beautiful day here today. 90 degree coming soon. blah .

Anyway totally jazzed about leaving for my home group tonight. I got a phone call from a friend that I have not spoke to in a couple years. I prayed for her, she got really lost in drinking and heroin.

But as fate would have , the phone call came and she had gotten out of treatment and looked for me at a couple meetings, finding someone with my number. Now she asked me to show her around the AA scene here. So cool to hear someones voice that is excited about their new life.

With that good night all, and love your sobriety.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I am so with you, Inda. First things first. And the other"mantra" that has made such a difference to me is "do the next right thing." First things first ... do the next right thing. Sounds simple and maybe cheesy to some, but if practiced, they bring miracles. Thank you.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Totally desertsong. Do the next right thing is probably my other fav also. Stay on the beam
Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

"First things first" dose have a special meaning to me. It reminds me to stay mindful about being in the present moment. Especially when I too find my mind wandering thru thought that is unhelpful.

Thanks Indy for the reminder.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sobriety is my #1 priority too!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I heard in a meeting that someone asked Bill W. what First things First meant...Where it came from....And he said it came from...

Matthew 6:33

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.