Notices

Emotions?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions?

Through sobriety have you found yourself more emotional? Are you actually dealing with things and going through things even after many years have passed?

I watched a movie, "A little bit of Heaven", the movie started the crying, and I mean bawling (I'm not the crying type), and then I started thinking about so many things I have NEVER dealt with. I cried for a good two hours. It was so weird.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have yet come to the emotional side and dealt with the issues that drinking and eating has tried to mask, although I know it's coming. I was in church yesterday for the first time in a long time, and held back from bawling then. Almost didn't make it. Did you feel alot better after the good cry?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Yes. Some times we need a good cry. We are not used to dealing with feelings because we were usually drunk, so it's a very new feeling.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cinderblock18 View Post
I have yet come to the emotional side and dealt with the issues that drinking and eating has tried to mask, although I know it's coming. I was in church yesterday for the first time in a long time, and held back from bawling then. Almost didn't make it. Did you feel alot better after the good cry?
I did feel better. It was uncomfortable at first but I realized alot about myself and the drinking habits but also kind of a WHY I was drinking so much. I would prefer to deal with it then kill myself drinking. I was afraid to go to church yesterday because I didn't want to loose it in front of everyone, and that is kind of where I am lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I am on that emotional roller coaster right now. I go from being fairly happy to the most miserable depressions. I am a little better, after the past few days of depression. I haven't been to a meeting in 5 days or so, and that might be the cause of it.
Also, I am not sure of what my emotions are right now. I am feeling balanced, but am not really able to get in touch with my deeper emotions. In my group, they say that it is normal to not feel or to not be in touch with the feelings - some say it took them 2 years to be able to get in touch with what they are feeling. So I will patiently wait for my timing.
I also do not cry right now, and I am not sure why. Last year when I tried to get sober, you could touch me and I would break down, heck all someone had to do was say my name, and I would go into a blubbering mess. This year I have a strength behind me, that I am sure is from my Higher Power. It is different, and I have made it 6 months, so I am not questioning anything. I am just going with the process, whatever that is............ Waiting for my miracle, whatever that is............. Just not questioning anything this time, not trying to figure things out, just allowing it all to come in my proper timing.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that is very common. I haven't really been able to cry in years so when I felt tears spring into my eyes the first time I was shocked at what a sentimental sap I was becoming. I welcome them now. I feel better after each good cry; I feel I am ridding my body of some of the excess emotional baggage I hoarded for years. It sounds crazy even to me but I think in a way my brain is detoxing itself and allowing me to feel. It does lessen but unless you are crying 24/7, stock up on kleenex and let the tears flow.