Notices

How do I stop drinking when I'm only 22!?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kb1989 View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I've decided to quit drinking. This weekend is going to be tough. I have anxiety over going to a birthday party for one of my friends. I feel obligated to go but I'm afraid that I won't be as fun if I'm not drinking. I'm also afraid that I will get annoyed or resentful of my friends for being able to drink. I love my friends and I don't want to lose them. How do I hang out with my friends, stay sober, and have a good time?
If you feel uncomfortable going - don't. Forget obligation. Express your regrets to your friend, send them a card, BD present or whatever, but don't go. If you don't want to slip, stay out of slippery places
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is EXACTLY what I would have wrote at 22. The first signs that I had a problem were my behaviours in relationships with men. I was a single parent, working full time, and going to school full time... Maintaining a great average. I didn't drink every day, in fact I could go quite a while without drinking. Sometimes, I could even stop at one.

Reading this gave me the chills because I knew it was a long the same lines of what I would have been writing at 22. I knew I had a problem then but never stopped. PLEASE STOP. I am now 30... and I have just lost everything. Don't be me... Don't wait until you lose your entire life to stop. Find any way you can to quit. ANY WAY. I know it won't be easy. You'll have a ton of temptations being in school, with a circle of friends that drink a ton... Please find a way.

I'd give anything to go back and change it all. I'd give anything that you don't do the same things I have.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Don't look too far ahead. When i first decided to quit drinking i found that thinking about a month sober was too much for me. A year? A lifetime? Impossible. But by focusing on the here and now and living in the moment, i am able to maintain sobriety quite happily because i'm only staying sober today. I have no idea what tomorrow is going to bring and whether or not i'll drink tomorrow but every day i am sober today and that's good enough for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by kb1989 View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I've decided to quit drinking. This weekend is going to be tough. I have anxiety over going to a birthday party for one of my friends. I feel obligated to go but I'm afraid that I won't be as fun if I'm not drinking. I'm also afraid that I will get annoyed or resentful of my friends for being able to drink. I love my friends and I don't want to lose them. How do I hang out with my friends, stay sober, and have a good time?
Don't worry. It's up to you on how you feel, but if you feel you would be TOO tempted, you should not go.. or maybe go for about 45 minutes and then leave. You might be surprised to find out how much fun you have sober. I'm learning this. As your friends see you are serious about not drinking, they won't bother you about it anymore. You just have to put your foot down, and mean it. You can do this! I am!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

You don't have to worry about "not ever drinking again." All you have to do is take it a day at a time.

I was 14 when I first enter the rooms of AA. I stayed sober 9 months and thought I was too young. I tested the waters again. At age 18 I was back in the rooms, but it took me 3 years to finally get it. The key was I to be ready to stop. At the age of 21 I took my last drink.

Age doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are willing to go to any lengths to stay sober.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Offer to drive everyone going to the party.... then you CAN'T drink.

My opinion, is just don't go. You are what is important, no person's opinion matters. Take care of yourself.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've said this before...I am 43--and I so wish I would've quite drinking in my twenties. I have always been "high functioning" (what a joke) One thing I HAVE done right is I have kept a journal for twenty years--when I was around 24 yrs, I started questioning how much I drank. I was researching it at the library! I continued for many more years.....and it only got worse. You can see the progression in my journals. I remained "high functioning" to everyone around me, but just a disaster on the inside.

Stop now. It's worth it. Life is waiting. Don't put it on hold another 20 years like I did.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i hope this helps!

HI=] i am also 22 and stopped drinking about a year ago. i drank all throughout highschool, completely oblivious of its insidious nature, and then into college where i truly became a heavy drinker. my mind was telling me that it was simply innocent and it took numerous incidents, courage, honesty with self and the like in order for me to realize that it is truly a complete waste of my energy! it wasn't fair to me , my family or those who love me to treat myself that way! Anyway, now that i have shed the habit, my friends who have not come to this conclusion just yet are commentating. i am only sharing this with you to let you know that youa renot alone and once you do stop officially there may be those who have yet to understand where you are coming from make it diffifuclt for you to feel comfortable with you decision. BUT FEEL COMFORTABLE ANYWAY. you have got to love yourself. revel in the fact that you recognize this! you are soooooooooooooooo not alone in the big realm of things and proceed with yourconclusions as to how you want to lead your life becasuse they are sound and you are RIGHT <3 <3 never cut yourself short or go against your grain.

you feeling inesecure with you boyfriend is such a normal thing, i know very few girls who are completely secure int heir relationships whether or not the guy is a cheater, player etc. its okay though, we are humans and it is alright to feel worried from time to time.. this especially happens when we love someone and cherish them. the important thing is that we dont judge ourselves and become hard on ourselves for BEING HUMAN. trust that if this boy is right for you he will be in your life no matter what, it sounds simple but u can have peace in that becaues it is the truth. love YOU first and foremost and the only way to do that is to treat physical, mental and spiritual state with respect. worrying, thinking poorly of yourself, drinking and all things of this nature are corrosive to loving yourself! its like a roadblock from seeing the positive within you, its thet positive love of who you are that alllows you to have courage and stay concrete in decisions like this. anyway i hope this helped=]
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm literally going through the same struggle. I'm 22 & flip out on my boyfriend when I'm drunk.. I know I need to stop but I feel if I do, I won't have a social life anymore. How are you doing since this post? Still sober?