Notices

First Post

Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hi all, have been cruising these forums for the past couple of weeks and decided it was time for me to stop the excuses and make the change that so many of you have.
Ill try to be brief.
Have been bingeing on the booze now at least every second day for the past 18 months, sometimes a day in between but never more than that. At first it was fun, but now it is habitual and not fun at all. I hide my drinking from my family, friends and partner, coming home from work two hours earlier than her i drink as much as i can as quickly as possible. sometimes 10-15 cans of spirits some times a little less.
I have realised it is time for a change and that it is impossible for me to have even one drink, once it starts it doesnt stop until i am totally wiped or passed out.
This is my first day 2 with no drinking for at least 18 months and so far feel ok but its still in my mind.
After reading a lot on here I'm sure i can do this as there are people here that have had it so much worse than me and have got through it....
Thanks anyone for reading..
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Just thought I would welcome you to a great way of life.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Welcome on board WillJ, yes you can do it. Congtratulations on the 1 day, before ya knot, 10 days.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Taking the first step to stop drinking is hard to do but it's only the beginning. Look into a recovery program and stick to it. There are many out there and finding the right one will be up to you. Relapse will most likely but in the future so if/when it happens just learn from it and move on. Understanding why you relapse and your urges and trigger will be important to learn.

Stay away from bars, liquor stores and other places that will remind you of drinking is also important. A lot of people fall short because they don't avoid those places. Keeping alcohol at your place is also a no, no. Keep your place clean and eat healthy and exercise will help a lot. Finding a hobby or activities to keep yourself busy will help too. Many people do that because that's when they want to drink and slip.

If you suffer with depression or anxiety then see a doctor. He/she can give you something to help with it and will help you to not drink. Plus all those meds can't be use when your drinking.

Good luck and welcome to SR!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome WillJ3785
you'll find a lot of support here - are you looking into face to face support as well?

D
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome and support, means a hell of a lot.. I have looked into some face to face support but not sure which would be best for me.. May try a few meetings and also some counseling and see where I go from there.. Are there any programs or anything anyone would recommend I could try?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

AA is probably the best place to start in Australia for face to face meetings Will

Alcoholics Anonymous

SMART Recovery is a non 12 step group

SMART Recovery Australia*|*

DirectLine offers a 24 hour, 7 day a week confidential alcohol and drug counselling and referral service.
Vic: 1800 888 236

AOD home - Department of Health, Victoria, Australia

D
Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee will have a good look at both of these..
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad to have you with us. It is wonderful that you are looking into meetings and counseling. And of course, this board will help as well.

A new life awaits you. It is a good one.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. Life will be so much easier once you have readjusted.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR it's good to have you here. There is so much knowledge and experience in these boards - if you ever need advice you will be able to get it here. Congrats on making this decision and on day 2. Let us know how you get on. It gets easier and easier, don't forget that!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys.. Day 3 and feeling pretty good I must say, no symptoms of withdrawal so far and haven't had too much trouble sleeping.. Forgot how good it feels to wake up with a clear mind on consecutive days. Will be heading to my first meeting this Friday, it's close to home so thought I will see what it's all about.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Will. It's pretty cool to lay out your soul in this beautiful place, but what's better is the love and compassion the folks in here embrace you with.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more, I was unsure about beginning a new sober life until I read for a couple of days on here.. There is so much determination compassion and support on here it is amazing. Just a great place to hang out and get some perspective when I feel like things are getting too hard..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome WillJ!

I spent years thinking "next time I'll be able to control my drinking" before I finally decided it was better to admit defeat. I'm really grateful to this forum and the people here for giving me a reality check every time I need one. My life is so much better sober, and yours will be too!