Notices

Why am I confused about NOT relapsing?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Well, you struggled along, wanting to quit, sorta quitting, cheating, using, wanting to quit...etc for a few months here with us...I think thats a sort of relapse...a few days clean, then throwing in the towel.

now you are done with that and onto recovery! No need to relapse, you played that tug of war and won!
I just went back and re-read all the posts that I have made since I joined. I don't even recognize that woman anymore. She was so scattered, and scared, and desperate. I guess I did struggle and have more than one "day one". Good- I don't have to relapse anymore
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Keep It Slow and Simple...one day at a time.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I know the feeling aeo but be warned, that good feeling can actually be the beginnings of a warning sign. It's the beginning of complacency in our sobriety. The whole "hell yeah! I got this! I don't need to drink!" that can lead to us thinking that we have risen above our alcoholism. Not trying to be a downer. I'm actually experiencing the exact same thing. My problem is, i'd stopped attending meetings and doing daily work on my sobriety and i'm only 3 1/2 months sober. Every person i've spoken with in AA who's had a relapse says it starts with "i stopped going to meetings." They felt confident. Almost cocky. When you feel that, balance that feeling out with a pinch of humility. Yes, i'm doing well, but alcohol is cruel and cunning and a relapse is only one drink away. It's not a depressing thought. It's a humbling one.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I had a dream about this last night. In my dream I had 3 pints of beer and when I woke up the next day I realized what I had done and was so pissed. When I actually woke up I thought it was real and the crushing awful feeling of "what have I done" was overwhelming. Thank G-d it was a dream- would have been worse in real life.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had a dream last night that I had drank. I woke up feeling TERRIBLE, I felt like such a failure, I really had to realize that it was JUST A DREAM! I am taking it as a warning of the failure and guilt I would feel if I did drink again. I just tell myself, I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. No negotiations.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
I have been clean and sober for 54 days and sometimes I feel like I am not a real alcoholic or don't have a problem bc I have not relapsed. Is that not the craziest thought ever??? I mean, WTF??? I keep thinking if I really had a problem I'd be drinking the vodka that sits in our cabinet, or the beer in the fridge, etc. I really like being sober and am so much more productive and clear headed (duh) so why these thoughts?

Is this my addiction thumping me in the brain with these thoughts? Taunting me? Why is this sometimes so confusing? All I really know if that I love going to my AA meetings- they make me feel safe and comfortable and loved. I love waking up not hungover and I love not constantly thinking where am I going to get more pills from.
Sounds like you need to revisit step one and read the Big Book on Acceptance.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I quit for 2164 days and never relapsed.

Then I did. I thought that after that length of time I wasn't an alcoholic and could handle my booze because I had gotten smarter. Wrong.

Once I relapsed it took a year of struggling to get and stay sober again, it was much harder then before.

Now I'm sober again. I don't have 2164 days again (yet) but I'm working on it. Truth be told, I have no idea exactly how many days I have this time because I no longer keep track, I just work at it one day at a time. (I do know that I can measure my current sober time in years, which is a blessing).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I think it's the nature of our addiction to tell us, after we've got some sober time, that we don't have a problem. After all, if we had a "problem," we wouldn't have been able to get any sober time at all, right? Wrong! That thought sent me back to the bottle more times than I could count. It was worse when I started going to AA and hearing some of the stories. I'd listen and think, "I'm not as bad as THAT guy!" or "Wow, I haven't done any of that." So I figured I could cheat and have "just a couple" here and there. Dumb and dumber. I still find myself thinking things like that in meetings sometimes, but now I end the sentences with "yet."

Whenever my brain starts taking me there, I go back and read either "There is a Solution" or "More About Alcoholism" in the Big Book of AA. And I always find myself nodding along with what I'm reading and saying, "Yup, that's me." I still need to be reminded of some things, and probably always will be.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The whole "hell yeah! I got this! I don't need to drink!" that can lead to us thinking that we have risen above our alcoholism.
This thought really can work, and is not a bad thing, but a final realization that we have the power to chose, we don't need to drink, we will never drink again, and we will never change our mind. Yes, a relapse by definition, is a drink away. If your sobriety includes the commitment to never change our mind, then 'a drink away' is far enough. I don't get how there can be a sobriety plan does not include that promise.

Rise above alcoholism? You betcha.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I've been dealing with the same thing! "It's been 23 days, and I haven't drank, so I must be Okay" and that scares me. Somewhere my brain keeps pulling the (few) times that I was able to drink like a normal person. I just have to go day by day, and keep myself out of situations that I know are tempting. On the other hand, the fact that i'm getting these thoughts are what remind me that I DO have a problem with alcohol.. Congrats on your 54 days!! Keep up the amazing work.