Notices

Be careful what you wish for.....

Old 06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Be careful what you wish for.....

Hello all!
I'm a crackhead! Just in the last few months that's how I ended up! A crackhead!! Always thought it was a funny term, still do, in fact I used to jest about being a crackhead. Now I am one . Go figure.

What happened was I ended up achieving my goal of owning a successful restaurant. Then about 5 years ago My relationship of 6 years busted up and I found myself with no one to answer to. I could and still can do whatever I want with whoever I want wherever I want etc..

Then about 3 years ago I got Peyronie's disease. Google it. It has destroyed my romantic life. I honestly believe I will never have a relationship again. And I'm ugly to boot!

6 months ago I moved to the Downtown area and ended up with a crack delivery guy. Thus the addiction.

This post is about living alone, not really having to work, and making a pretty good living. How on earth am I to stay sober when there'e no one to keep me in line? Think I'll invent a sobriety check up service cuz that's what I need. Someone to walk in the front door at midnight and 4am to make sure I'm not high. Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Inpatient rehab helped me give up the crack.

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We are all accountable to ourselves. I don't stay sober because someone is watching me. I stay sober because I refuse to go back to addiction again.

You can do this if you want to!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lived alone and was a mess - I still live alone but I've been sober for 5 years now...

Personally I changed the way I saw things - I used to feel like a leaf being buffeted around by my addiction...I had no other strategies for cooping with life but getting drunk or getting high...

That was killing me...I stopped drinking and drugging and got as much support as I could to stay that way.

SR was instrumental in that change, and in that support - I hope you'll find some benefit here too

D
Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by Sycophant View Post

How on earth am I to stay sober when there'e no one to keep me in line?
Other people trying to control what I used brought out my rebellious and sneaky nature. I could only change when I 'owned' my problem, even then it was not as easy as I had hoped. It is possible, but only by you
Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a former crackhead, 5+ years into recovery. Nothing anyone said or did had much effect on me. I just got sick and tired of the lifestyle and consequences. The great folks here have helped a LOT!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds promising!! Who is SR?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SR. Sober Recovery!! Wow I can be pretty clueless sometimes!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

If my recovery were dependent on anyone but myself, I would have never recovered. Meetings? Counseling? Rehab?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Crackhead here too! I managed to leave that behind many months ago. Drinking is still an issue.

It is something you can do. It's not some impossible thing.

Like others have said. You are responsible for yourself. If you need a mommy and daddy all your life then that's where you need to start. Try facing things as an adult and you will discover you can beat crack.

I did.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Most people have already said it, but you need to do it for yourself, and nobody else. There isn't a magic answer to getting addiction free but doing it for anyone but you doesn't often end up well... there is only so long we can go we try to change ourselves for others. It's just not enough. I think it does help me knowing that everyone I know now knows I don't drink - it means that if I did drink, people would say "oh my god, you're drinking again!?!?!?!!?" But, that's not what actually keeps me sober. It may be something at the back of my mind at times - a niggling thing that says "well, if you drink, ____'s opinion of you will now change" but, actually, that's not why I'm sober or how I've gone this long without a drink. I've gone this long because I don't want to be that person any more, and I don't want that life any more.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

9 months no crack here. The reason why, I want to be off crack.