Notices

What phony line did your Addiction try to feed you today?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

You're not really an alcoholic because you aren't as "bad" as some of the people in AA.
I rephrased this to: "you aren't as "bad" as some of the people in AA YET." plus, I really was that "bad."
AA is a about relating, anyway, not comparing.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I met two people in AA today that I knew from the "outside.". They were both very, very surprised to learn I was an alcoholic. So then the AV tried this approach: "since they are alcoholics, and didn't recognize you as an alcoholic, then maybe you aren't really an alcoholic."
I AM AN ALCOHOLIC. Period. Alcoholism is about MY relationship to alcohol, not how others perceive me.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

It said, you had good news today and no one at home to tell. Remember your buddy, vodka?

I said: No. You are mixing metaphors. A drink is not a buddy. And you are not a voice. Goodbye.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

That because deep down I'm very lonely and don't have the girlfriend, the car, the group of friends, and money in my pocket that I might as well fully embrace my depression. I didn't want to use, and my addiction didn't really suggest using, it just amplified my current unhappiness and ungratefulness of who I am and the live I now have.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

My favorite one was "it doesn't count if you chug it."
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

I have these so infrequently now, compared to before.
But when I DO have one, it can take me unawares and I must immediately detach and refocus. I only tell them on this thread now because I hope others will see they are not alone, and that these are 100% lies.

To whit, I just had one. I am getting ready to paint my bedroom. Or I should say, finish painting it. And it said:
"You can't get started because you need a drink in your hand. With a drink in your hand, you could actually enjoy the job!"

My answer is:. "I can enjoy the job or not enjoy the job. It is my choice. But I will enjoy the finished job. And if I had one sniff of alcohol, I would drink all day, all night, and everyday going forward. My brain is addicted to alcohol, AV, and I have not forgotten this. You got in because I am thirsty. I will take care of that without alcohol. I no sooner would drink, then I would wear a blindfold and walk out into the expressway. I want to live now. With you, I want to die. Gee, tough decision. Not!!"
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

It wasn't today, but yesterday. I got my cholesterol results back and it had dropped by 19 points from last year. I convinced myself that it was because in the months prior to the test I had been drinking copious amounts of alcohol. I thought, "I need to start drinking, again, to keep my cholesterol low." When I realized this was crazy thinking, I got online, did some research, then ordered $130 worth of vitamins that could (or not) help with keeping my level low.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
"You can't get started because you need a drink in your hand. With a drink in your hand, you could actually enjoy the job!"
Oh my lordy! And here I thought I was the only one who used to drink to get through chores that I didn't "enjoy." GAH!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Earlier hubby had the music on...I had finished cooking a nice meal...my sister and brother in law from Memphis, TN called to say how pumped they were to come down to visit next weekend. It gave me memories of living in Memphis Tennessee with them, eating a meal I cooked, loud music playing, and family around all drinking...(of course I was the only problem drinker.) It told me "Hey grab that whiskey and get the full effect of that memory, remember how fun it was?" I don't think you would call kicking the windshield out of drunken anger and breaking it with my boot or throwing up in the bathtub fun. Get outta here!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

There was an advertisement on the radio for The Great American Beer Festival at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver. My addiction tried to tell me...

"Sure there are over 2,200 different beers on hand, but the samples are only 1oz. cups. It would take you hundreds of samples to really get drunk. Besides it only comes to town once a year."

So I flipped the imaginary bird to that voice and said "Too bad for you it doesn't start for another 8 days, you can't fool me for that long."
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

"no one ever said "you have a problem" so now you have proven that you can go 41 days with nothing to drink - "have just a glass of wine tonight. You are not a problem drinker , it was just stress...". Yea, right.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

"You have been eating all day and night and you still want it, you still want a drink. No, no more substitutes, only alcohol will relax you."

No thank you.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

You can get away with a drink at work, no one else is here, no one will ever know. -- um no thanks, I said, this is the part of commitment where my av loses! Boom!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I was looking up the effects of beer on the body ... Hoping for horrible, debilitating stories about the damage it will cause. What did I find?! "One beer a day is great for you! It lowers your cholesterol and makes your bones stronger." I am NOT even making this up! My av told me " See... One beer a day is fine! You need it for your bones, like milk."

No. I'm tired of obsessing and controlling. Even if it were the best thing for my body. I'm sick and tired of the mental games. It's not worth it. I want to be FREE.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I can control it if its at home
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

"A nice glass of whiskey would be nice, wouldn't it? Tonight, on a cool night like this while watching TV?"

What? How'd you sneak in? I didn't even drink whiskey!! LOL
Anyway, no, AV, even if it was pleasurable, it would not be worth all the destruction to follow. You see, AV, eight months without you has given me a great gift: I can see the big picture now. And the big picture is AV's kryptonite.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I was driving to work jammin to a Doug Martsch solo acoustic live version of "Kicked It In The Sun" by Built To Spill. Then:

Addiction: "I wonder what this song would sound like......on weed".
Me: "Thanks fer sharin. Now STFU"
Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

You're never going to be good enough so why bother

That's one of my addictions favorite lines
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Alcohol: You're screwed.
Me: I'm here at SR and just went to my first mtg. in 3 years; no I'm not.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Sick all week, could not sleep. a Couple of hot toddies can't hurt me. Like medicine