Notices

Start Anew

Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Start Anew

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board and all. =] Have been off the sauce since early this month and going strong-I believe-after a very sudden and brash realization that I am not like others. Is this the way it usually happens? Yikes..better sooner then later. To anyone even remotely considering going sober....please realize that this is a very vicious game we play. Since leaving the past the past I have been more productive, more lucid feeling even more spiritual. In just a few days's span. Trying to convince yourself why you drink, that you will quit tomorrow, or that you can moderate is exactly what this disease is. A fog. Once you give yourself at least a few days in order to recoup you begin to see things in a much more finite light. I wish this light on all of you.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR cuasticprince

D
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, cuasticprince. Good advice you've given. You're right, I spent many wasted years insisting I could use willpower to moderate. It never worked once.

Glad to have you with us - congratulations on this life changing decision.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just remember this feeling. For me, its always staying this way that has been a problem. I am getting over that now, but keep an eye out. Alcohol will whisper anything into your ear. best of luck and thank you for your post.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the kind words. Finding SR and browsing it a while before actually signing up has been a wonder. And I thank you all so much for sharing everything you share. And wonderfullife, I totally understand that. But no one starts tight-rope walking on the first day. You simply have to keep your eye on the mark. The hardest thing for me so far has been coming to the realization that alcohol is literally everywhere. I've informed all of my friends of my decision but some still insist on making pouring motions into my cup with a bottle of wine or asking me what that weird drink is if I'm drinking orange juice and lime. I also just got back form working a festival where they had open bar all night. Is it that it's this way all the time and I've just never been sober for it or is the AV following me? Hah...rhyme.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just try to enjoy your orange juice and lime. know you are giving you body vital nutrients and realized that your mind has been tricked into thinking alcohol is a vital nutrient. its not. but our brain thinks that it is. evolution trained our minds to send reward signals out for things that are good for us. sadly, alcohol found a way to trick the mind. don't believe a word it says. and again, I am new at this, and far from being a long term sober individual. I am here tonight to battle my own (our own) demon
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome and thanks for the post! You're so right about not being able to see how warped our thinking is until we get sober.

Congratulations on your new journey!!