Notices

feels like im getting worse

Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feels like im getting worse

hi everyone. youse will probablys know about me. have a drink problem waiting for detox, got an appoinment on tuesday with anurse for a review which then i will see a doctor who will give the go ahead for detox but last time i seen the nurse was monday and shes had me wait a week for another appointment and i asked her if i could try and stop drinking in the mean time and she said no as my anxiety would go sky high and she advised me stick to what i usually drink so basically im having to drink 6 -8 cans of lager at night when at times i feel like i just want to go to bed. im now tired, weak and tonight i got another symptom which iv never had. before i start drinking i was twitching everywhere in my body. im so fed up now as iv seeked help yet they are making me wait around and im gradually getting worse. even when i see her tuesday i know im probablys going to have to wait another week to see the doctor but i cant take it anymore, i feel ill everyday
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The twitching is a withdrawal symptom. Isn't there another doctor you can see in the meantime?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't pretend to understand the system in Britain...I think another Dr would be a great idea if you can do that there...

otherwise when you do see the nurse make sure she knows all of this sharp- tell her you can't take drinking anymore and you want to stop NOW.

maybe it's time to reach out in other ways too?
here are some UK links & numbers that may be useful:

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

UK National AA Helpline
08457 697 555

Home - SMART Recovery UK

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

Addaction | Drugs & Alcohol Addiction and Recovery: Support - Help - Advice

Alcohol services | Alcohol Concern

and some NHS links
Find more health services - Alcohol addiction support - NHS Choices

D
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The system can be pretty screwed up. Hang in there. I got into detox by going to ER ( after a 911 call) which got me right into detox but that's just me. It's a medical emergency not just a waiting game. I trust things will work for you, don't give up hope and desire. I can't give medical advise but to tell you to keep drinking the way you've been drinking seems pretty lame. My best to you, your well-being is #1.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Ya know, you really coulda cut down a little bit every day instead of keeping to "your usual" amount.

It's the cold turkey that makes anxiety and blood pressure sky rocket, hun.

Your body may be getting too much alcohol, can you call her back and talk with her and let her know what's happening?

Please go to the ER.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

twitching can also possibly be alcohol poisoning. Sorry, it's not just withdrawal.

Go to the hospital
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have heard many other people be told by medical professionals to not cut back their drinking to avoid anxiety. I was, as were a few other people I know. My anxiety was a direct result of my drinking, but anxiety is also a a symptom of alcohol withdrawal...catch 22 no? I am not a medical professional, but I can't see where the problem would be if you just cut those 6-8 cans down to 5-6, maybe a bit less the next day, if you feel like doing that? I suffer from anxiety so I know where you are coming from, but I think I was too influenced by what other people said to me. What do you think would make you less anxious? Have a look at some CBT techniques to control anxiety maybe. There are plenty of things on the internet (google Moodgym) and books you can get. Also, my anxiety was getting a bit out of hand today (work stress and wanting to drink) but I found going to an AA meeting helped ground me a bit. Might be worth looking into that too.

Try not to worry too much Sharp, and I hope the detox comes through okay for you x
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i told her i wanted to stop asap but she said too many people have went into detox straight away and relapsed as they havnt prepared for it so i feel like shes testing me to see if i genuinly want it. in britain its all government funded so they obvioulsy dont want to give help to people they believe dont want it so are now making the likes of me (who genuinely want and need the help) suffer and hang around and get worse in the meantime, and even though the british government are making out they are concerned about the binge drink culture the only solution they have to try and stop it is to rise the price of drink whereas they are providing 2 million pound homes to immigrants who are on benefits(its something i read in the paper) and i find that disgusting. i know my issue is self inflicted but even though iv admitted it i feel like they are punishing me by making me wait around.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my advice. go to the hospital and refuse to leave. not drunk though. go sober and just ask for help. people are good at the core. you should not suffer at home. best of luck. also, this is not medical advice, but taurine has been proven to help the liver as well as anxiety. look up the studies on both and decide for yourself. health food stores should have it.