Notices

Started as a good day.. now bummed

Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

get off yer but, put on yer big girl pants and go out hand have fun! yer worth it! if ya cant have fun by yourself, no one with ya is gonna make it any better. why wait til yer dads outta rehab to go to a meeting?? theres a bunch of friends there ya havent met yet!

sobriety is a riot!! gotta take my dog to the park now for a game of chase the squeaker. maybe this time he'll throw the squeaker and i can chase it!!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

GiGi, you have just about put everything into perspective to me.
Thankyou. x
Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Stay OFF Facebook! What good is it at a time like this?! Good luck!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When you look at all the pictures of them having "fun" on Facebook, just imagine what their pictures would look like in the morning!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, you've run 6 half marathons in a year. That's good.
I've lost an old friend recently. I was lucky in that we fell out before I had to tell him that I didn't think it would be good for me to see him again, as I always ended up drinking when we got together. And I'm not sure he'd have just accepted it if I said I'd quit. I've quit quite a few times in the past. Still. Enough about him. I have sober friends now.

I was on a bus to a meeting last week, when a wholebuncha drunk guys got on. Two of them were trying to sing some sort of song. I don't know what it was, and I'm not sure they did either. They only knew two or three lines that they sang over and over again. It made me cringe. [I was a quiet drunk, but it still made me cringe]

What was I saying. Sober friends are good. AA is a good place to meet them, and it helps me stay sober. And, it can't be said enough, anybody who isn't happy unless you're drinking isn't someone you want to know.
But you will meet sober people. You will have fun. Trust me

And, before I forget, congrats on 20 days
Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
Thank you GiGi! Really kind words! It just hit me all of a sudden this afternoon. I need to make sober friends. I don't know how. I plan on going to AA with my dad when he gets out of rehab in a week or two. Maybe I can there. I just wish all my friends didn't need to have alcohol at every event we do! It saddens me, though. I'm sober now and wonder if these people were ever REALLY my friends? Ya know. It's not so much about drinking I guess that it's just realizing I'm going to lose a lot of friends in this process. I know it's worth it in the end, but with the exception of my wonderful boyfriend, I don't have anyone else to do stuff with.
We both got sober the same day June 3, 2012 and I know how you feel going thru the same issues with friends in my life. Having doubts if they even were my friends or was it just the alcohol. I need to make sober friends and find a sober man another issue Im struggling with. I have lost friends in the process its not easy you all of sudden realize how drinking has affected your life.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It is hard missing out on your usual activities. But your usual activities led to bad results. Keep going. You will regain your sense of joy. It takes some time to re-group. You should be proud of yourself. You are being wise here. Take a moment to be proud of yourself!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

they are still good friends if they are drinking. just so long as they dont encourage you. next time, go and have fun. I have been amazed by sober fun. I even like drunk people around to remind me of what I am not missing. been there, done that. now, I am simply choosing not to drink. here is a good question. would you still go if you could take a tablet of ethanol and drink water? Something changes for me when I think like that. keep running. keep having fun. I have a sober friend who is the life of the party. All the drunks love him. Now, I am trying to learn from him. don't dehydrate those running muscles. again, best.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Live2Run - I know just how you feel. It took me a few months to get over feeling sorry for myself as the weekend approached. I promise you, it will all settle down and not feel as intense at it does right now. It's still early days for you - be patient with yourself, you're in the process of making a huge adjustment. You will make this!

We remember our drinking days with such fondness - but in our hearts we know it wasn't so much fun in the end. I don't even remember the last time I was high and happy - it was always anxiety and misery - then a terrible price to pay the next day.

Sending love your way - you've had some wonderful comments on your thread - I'm so proud of all of you.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

see u in Hershey

Running sober rocks
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Come back to this thread tomorrow morning. There is nothing better in the world than a sober Saturday morning!!!! I promise.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Hang in there Run!!! You made the right decision!
I LOVE what Paul said. It's so true!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
why wait til yer dads outta rehab to go to a meeting?? theres a bunch of friends there ya havent met yet!
I agree with tom. Why wait to go to a meeting? I guarantee it will only help. What have you got to lose? The friendships you will gain, wisdom shared, and love given freely to you will be more fulfilling than you can ever imagine.

I enjoy your posts and insight very much. Keep your head up and stay strong! Plus every time I see your sig I kick myself for not starting my training for MY half-marathon coming up.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

L2R, you are made up of some very special things....I can feel it in your posts....in the things you say, and the words you write.

Sometimes when we think things are falling apart, they are actually falling into place.

Keep doing what you're doing

Big hugs to you x
Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Your true friends will be there whether you drink or not. The ones that resent your sobriety aren't worth having. It's like when a friend loses weight - people say how great they look and how happy they are for them but in actuality, they resent their friend lost weight and they haven't.

Be strong! Keep your true friends close, cut the others loose, and open your eyes to new friends.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Everyone!!! I just read this thread as I woke up (sober) and you all are AMAZING! I am so happy to have "met" each and every one of you. This made my day!!! (21 days today!)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frances2011 View Post
see u in Hershey

Running sober rocks
Are you running it too??
Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
Are you running it too??
Yep
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frances2011 View Post
Yep
That's great!! I wonder how hilly it will be!?