Notices

Sleeping in

Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Sleeping in

Day 3 again and this always seems to happen, I slept 11 hours last night!

Feels great but I got nothing done that I wanted/needed too.

Anybody else sleep half the days away early in sobriety?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Absolutely~! I am about to take a nap in a moment, too! Because I can. And I start work Monday, but I'll just have to get used to being up all day and going to bed earlier....

Cut yourself some slack and don't beat yourself up for not getting things done. You will, in time. Do the basics, add something here and there. It will all be okay. Stay sober for now, that's a big challenge in the beginning!

Hugs,
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

I'm going through the opposite! I'm averaging 3 hours a night and don't feel like naps during the day. Sugarbear's right. Cut yourself some slack! This is a big step and everything that needs to get done will get done eventually. Look after yourself first and SLEEP!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is hard on your body. It needs the rest. Sleep is good for early sobriety. Keep going friend. Look forward.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I had those nights where I couldn't sleep, too!

Today, all is well...it's just my last tribute to daytime napping and speaker tape listening then I'll get things organized for Monday's work. I'm excited to be working and looking forward to paying bills (the old ones). Wow. Never thought I'd say that out loud!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I'm coming up on 6 months and I found myself sleeping more and more...12+ hours some nights.

It doesn't help not having anything to do, but I also start work on Monday so I'll be able to get into a routine.

Stay focused on being clean for today and everything else will fall into place.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i think sleep is one of the best ways to help you get through the early days. the body recovers best while asleep.
for me, unfortunately, sleep doesn't come easy at all (yet).
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I could get some sleep. I think I've become a nocturnal creature since I've gone sober, because I can't sleep at night and have to fight to stay awake by day. When I do manage to get to sleep, I keep waking up with a start, my mind racing for no reason.

It's fine though; I believe that I'll adjust as long as I keep up the exercise and clean diet. And most importantly, I have to stay sober.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes..all i do is nap...im on day 4 right now and most nights i fall asleep around 2am..get up after 12pm or 1pm...and i feel the same... your cycle will get better..your body has been through a trauma and needs the rest..just think of it as the toxins clearing out of your system while you sleep....hang in there dear...you can do this!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since getting sober 13 days ago,i have found that i need less and less sleep....I can go to bed at 10pm and watch tv in bed till 12 and then i will sleep till about 4.30am,get up,have a cup of tea and then im out with the dog for an hour or so....I dont get tired mid afternoon either.....Now when i was boozing i would stay up all night getting drunk and wake the next morning,late,hungover and not giving the dog his walk......
Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Day 10 and needing 2 hour naps every day--that is in addition to approx. 7 hours of sleep at night! (thank goodness for some vacation time!)

I'm hoping this need for rest is signalling my body's recovery.

Keep going with your recovery and get that rest, Fallow!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes, my sleep has been all over the place the past 35 days since i got sober. at first i couldn't sleep, then i couldn't stop sleeping! now i try to grab naps as i can/ as i feel i need them. i agree that we've put our bodies though a lot...i guess it's our bodies way of telling us to slow down, so we can heal up.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think if I slept in that late....I would be fired from my job... but yes, it would be nice I guess. Not as nice as remaining employed, though.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Haha MW! Luckily I work afternoons to nights so I can spend the days watching my daughter. Got to work on time and she was with Mommy today. I stay up late usually.

I remember first becoming an alcoholic then trying to quit I couldnt get to sleep with no liquor. That was years ago. Now with no liquor I cant wake up!

Got the next few days off so hopefully things start to normalize, otherwise Im gonna be hearin an earful from the old lady for bein lazy all day! Oh well.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My sleep, like Changer, has been eratic in the 13 days that I have been sober. The first 5 nights or so I couldn't sleep more than 2 or three hours, but now I sleep like the dead for 10 or more hours and don't seem to be completely rested. I do know that both ways I woke up feeling better than I did ANY morning while I was drinking and that is a blessing.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Couldnt get to sleep last night, finally did at 3. Woke up at 10. My AC went out and its 100 degrees F outside. And inside. Im tired!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I read through these posts. I finally woke up feeling good this morning (day 5) but for the past few days I all I wanted to do was sleep. Plus during the night I would wake up sweating but yet extremely cold. All went away on night 4. Day 3 was really hard for me, really wanted to drink for some reason. It will get better! Hang in there!!!)