Notices

Not good

Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not good

I have been lurking for a long while - still heavily drinking without a break for over 2 years now (since my last attempt where I strung 69 days together).
I really want to stop; I hate feeling ill and miserable all the time and scared for my future.

My health is starting to deterioate and Im only 29. I want to get better. Ended up in A & E last night with a swollen leg (doctor thought this was a clot). Thankfully, it was ok but is still casuing me discomfort today - has anyone experainced swelling and discomfort in one or both legs?

Anyway just to let you all know, Im still here and trying to work out how to get my day one. I havent given up on me, not yet. Im glad to be here and finally be posting again.x
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to have you back and welcome. We're sure you'll find plenty of help and support here. Please bear in mind of course that we cannot offer any medical advice, especially on complex matters. If you were in A & E than presumably you had a full medical consultation there. Can you not make a follow up appointment with the hospital to discuss the medical situation further with an expert?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never experienced anything like that with my leg, no. I'm glad it wasn't anything serious. How did you get to 69 days before? What made you start on that day 1? Maybe you should try the same route?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you're back posting Almay - tho I'm really sorry you're still struggling.

The road gets harder and climb is rockier the more we drink...if we want to avoid that I think a willingness and a commitment to change is really important...vital even

have you any ideas on how to make that change happen now almay?

D
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I honestly dont know. All I know is I want to stop more then I want to drink. Thts all I know. If I can just get through the hell of the first few days I know for a fact I will be able to start a long road to being sober.
Right now I dont drink because I want to, I drink because I'm scared.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Almay so great to see you back. I really think inpatient is where you need to be
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back!

Did you tell your doctor about your drinking and were you completely honest? Many alkies I know don't let the doctor know our honest behavior. It can lead to improper diagnosis.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually did something massive and told both my doctor and a very close friend. First time telling anyone ever. In the main I am now drinking as I have a problem with my leg (swelling and discomfort for no reason). Everytime I feel fear I drink....big time!! But I had bloods done yesterday and when I get my results back the doctor says he can help me stop. One week from yesterday and counting till I find out how mch damage I've done. I want to get better.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

almay, are you attending AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

almay, i don't really know your situation (consumption, family, work)... but one thing is clear: you need to ask for help because it sounds like you are not able to control this on your own.

can you go to the hospital and say that you are very concerned about detox and stay there under supervision for at least a few days?
is rehab an option for you? (i know it sounds horrid, but it might be a very good way out in the long run).
can you ask your friends or family to give you support? make sure you do not pick up that first drink and be there in case things get difficult?

do not be afraid to ask for help, that's why hospitals exist and there are a lot of compassionate people that will gladly help you.
whatever you do it is best to stop asap, because you are already aware of the danger alcohol is causing you.

i drank many times not because i wanted to, but because i was scared to stop. all the while thinking "how in the world am i going to get out of this binge"?
please seek some support and very well possibly medical care before things get really bad.
i'm glad that you are here, since it is already a step in the right direction. stay strong.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have decided that you need to quit, and that you want to quit. Those are two very important first steps, and congratulations, getting that far is commendable

The next step, though, is the big one, you know it already, because you've done this before: step three is stopping drinking. Whether you plan it out and work your plan, or can taper it off, or simply check into detox one day out of the blue, however you work through that part of it, that's where you need to be.

I wish to you the strength and determination to take the steps that need to be taken to succeed. You can do it!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear from you again almay - and it's awesome you took that step

D
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you for coming back almay. We'd never give up on you. Maybe you're finally really ready to do this - it's a good sign that you told your doctor & friend. I felt so much better when I stop keeping it a secret. You can do it, almay.