Notices

buntzhouse update

Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I told myself almost daily for the last 5 years that I was getting better because I would not drink for 3 or 4 or 5 days in a row while on a business trip and that drinking again when I was back home on the weekend was OK. And during that same time when I was home all week long I drank every day and told myself that it was no big deal because I was traveling the next week and I could once again go without drinking because I was "getting better." You would have thought that after more than 20 years drinking I would have known the lie that I was telling myself, but it doesn't work that way, at least not for me. In the last month before I quit I was drinking 15 to 20 beers a night. "Cutting down" never worked for me in 27 years, only stopping completely has worked. It has been a short time, but it is easier today to not drink than it was 12 days ago.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
You're right. I personally was crazy for over 25 years. Crazy drunk that is. I can not applaud anyone who says they are trying to quit, or cut back, and with in a few days is drinking again. I don't view that as better. I view it as still drinking. It will not earn a round of applause from me, but I can and will support and encourage them to keep trying, though. In all fairness, perhaps other individuals drinking hasn't reached the heights my had so perhaps they can't relate. I also was a part-time drinker until I progressed to a daily drinker 24/7. Crazy or just wiser through experience? I definitely know I can speak from my experience and I'd hate to have anyone suffer the way I did through years of progression. For myself, in the beginning, making the journey my own nearly put me in the grave. Some of us don't make it. That is a fact. This is serious and being called "crazy" for recognizing it for what it is...is crazy in itself.
I can see where you're coming from but for me my drinking never progressed it stayed basically the same for 20 years, only drinking late night and never really get drunk just a nice buzz. There was a time I was drinking only on the weekends for a few months, this was a few years ago, figured I did it before I can do it again.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

That's good. I really hope it does work for you. My drinking wasn't really a problem until it became one. Just saying for myself. I was denial for a very long time, then I was just in trouble, big trouble and could no longer deny my situation. I can really relate to your stomach issue though. Seriously, alcohol will really tear up your stomach something awful. I think you will appreciate how much better you feel after you cut back. It takes some time to heal though. I'd take a sip and would double over in pain it hurt so bad. I felt like it was burning a hole into my stomach lining. Now that I don't drink, I have to be careful with caffeine because it will do the same.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by buntzhouse View Post
I can see where you're coming from but for me my drinking never progressed it stayed basically the same for 20 years, only drinking late night and never really get drunk just a nice buzz. There was a time I was drinking only on the weekends for a few months, this was a few years ago, figured I did it before I can do it again.

Sounds like you don't really have a problem then - why are you trying to taper if you can already control things?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Sounds like you don't really have a problem then - why are you trying to taper if you can already control things?
I have a problem with drinking every night until I have a nice buzz not really heavy drinking but not necasarily light either, tapering is just an easier way for me to go from drinking every night to drinking only on the weekends.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have a problem with drinking every night until I have a nice buzz not really heavy drinking but not necasarily light either, tapering is just an easier way for me to go from drinking every night to drinking only on the weekends.
Fair enough. It raises a question for me - if you're not a heavy drinker and you don't really want to quit, what are you doing on a forum for people with serious drug/alcohol problems? I don't mean to be rude. I am genuinely curious.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Fair enough. It raises a question for me - if you're not a heavy drinker and you don't really want to quit, what are you doing on a forum for people with serious drug/alcohol problems? I don't mean to be rude. I am genuinely curious.
I don't know maybe my drinking isn't as serious as I thought, that's what I came here to find out.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't know maybe my drinking isn't as serious as I thought, that's what I came here to find out.
No worries, there's nothing wrong with that. What made or makes you think you might have a problem?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Buntzhouse, I am so with this GirlfromCo on this one. Dee74 can correct me here, but there has been nobody in my history on SR who has come here and learned that, yep, it wasn't really a problem for them after all.

Please do some more reading in this forum, and you can also use google to search the entire website for words such as 'moderation'. Type this into your search window:
site:www.soberrecovery.com moderation to see what others, just like you, have learned.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

We may come here hoping to find proof that we don't have a problem. We do lots of things in our search. Rarely, if ever, do we find it. If anything, we find the opposite.
Buntzhouse, if you're one that does find proof you're ok, then I'm happy for you.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
~sb

You may have a list of Things I Have Not Yet Lost Or Done Like These Other People, but it doesn't mean you have any less of a problem. Alcohol is a Class IV (class 4) Narcotic. It damages every part of our body when we consume it.

Whether or not you have a problem is up to you to decide. When you do, there is help available, if it's not too late.

Keep reading. Lots of it around here!

Best wishes,