Notices

Looks like AA is in my future....

Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Red face Looks like AA is in my future....

I got a call from my Dad tonight who is rehab in Cumberland. he's been there for about 16 days. He sounded WONDERFUL! He sounded so confident, proud, and strong! I've NEVER heard him like this before. It's hard to believe a little over 3 weeks ago he called me wasted telling me he was going to kill himself and ended up in the hospital. I am SO proud of him.

My father was absent in my life for about 18 years. We just met for the first time a few years ago. I never knew him growing up. He was always in jail, or drunk somewhere. He told me that when he gets out he will be "Going to AA for the rest of his life" he sounded so SURE. I really hope that this is for real.

I asked him If I could come along with him. He was SO happy. He kept going on about how great that would be. My dad doesn't even know the extent of my drinking problem. I want to be there to support him, but I really want this for myself as well. I've looked it at a lot and it doesn't really seem like my thing because I'm not religious, but I'm willing to give it a go, and do anything to bond with my father, that I'm just getting to know. He gets out of Rehab the first or second week in July, and then i'll start going with him when he gets back into town.

I'm nervous.. but I'm sure it can't be ANY worse than some of thing stupid things I've done drunk!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's been great for many of my friends here - I really hope it will be great for you too

D
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

cool beans!! AA isnt religious. if it was, it would have to follow one religion and we want to help all who suffer from alcoholism. you may benefit from reading the chapter," We Agnostics" in the big book.
AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or
institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor
opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other
alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

i'm not religious, either. IMO religion is for people afraid of going to hell.
spirituality is for those who have been there.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

and i am very glad to see your dad getting the help he wants!!! awesome!!! and awesome of you to want to do something about the drinkin thing!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

That is so wonderful for your dad and for you!

AA scared the crap out of me too. I thought they were a cult, a bunch of weirdo drunks who sat around, told drunkalogues, and quoted the Bible all day. But in an act of desperation, I called the AA hotline (drunk out of my mind) and talked to the lady who is now my sponsor. She took me to my first meeting, and from then on, I was hooked. My home group is like my family now. Those people embraced me with open arms from day 1, and have seen me through several relapses, hospital detoxes, and other crises. They have always been there for me. And they are hardly the "weirdos" I thought they were ... in fact, they are JUST like me. When I'm among them, I'm among my "fellows" ... the only people in the world who truly understand me.

Nervousness is to be expected at your first meeting, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. How about giving this a read?

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
That is so wonderful for your dad and for you!

AA scared the crap out of me too. I thought they were a cult, a bunch of weirdo drunks who sat around, told drunkalogues, and quoted the Bible all day. But in an act of desperation, I called the AA hotline (drunk out of my mind) and talked to the lady who is now my sponsor. She took me to my first meeting, and from then on, I was hooked. My home group is like my family now. Those people embraced me with open arms from day 1, and have seen me through several relapses, hospital detoxes, and other crises. They have always been there for me. And they are hardly the "weirdos" I thought they were ... in fact, they are JUST like me. When I'm among them, I'm among my "fellows" ... the only people in the world who truly understand me.

Nervousness is to be expected at your first meeting, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. How about giving this a read?

Your First AA Meeting<
Thanks so much for this Desertsong! The first part made me laugh, because sadly that's how I feel about it. I will read that!! Thank you!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful news - so glad he's doing well & that you're going to be participating with him. Proud of you for seeing the light and making this huge change in your life. You'll never regret it.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

" a bunch of weirdo drunks"

heyheyhey!! we're weird EX drunks!!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Sorry, Tom. I stand corrected.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
That's wonderful news - so glad he's doing well & that you're going to be participating with him. Proud of you for seeing the light and making this huge change in your life. You'll never regret it.
Thank you. I'm proud of myself too, but more importantly my dad. I thought he was going to die a few weeks ago. It was so scary.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Seems to me that all sorts of positive interesting things are
coming to both of you.double congratulations ..all my best...
Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
IMO religion is for people afraid of going to hell.
spirituality is for those who have been there.
Ha! Just heard this about twenty minutes ago in a meeting for the first time. I love it. So many times I actually wondered if I were in some alternate dimension, some truly living hell. I actually thought that (shades of mind bending paranoia, but yes, I feel like I've been there).
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you read the book Alcoholics Anonymous? It's online and online in audio form.

Best wishes,
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I felt the same way about AA and it was sure different than I thought, but it took a few meetings to realuze that. It really scares a lot of folks and I have yet to see anybody not come out of a meeting that walked in.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm a spiritual agnostic and i was scared poopless at my first real AA meeting. I say "real AA meeting" because i'd been to a scant few in the past without any real plan of commitment. Funny thing was, no one glared at me, no one called on me, no one expected anything of me. Just me being ther and being brave enough to introduce myself was enough.was embraced and welcomed even though i looked nothing like them. Actually, i remember a skit on Sesame Street where they sang a song "One of these things is not like the others." Well, that was me! No biggie. The only thing we all have in common is the driving force in our life at some point. Alcohol. Cunning, cruel and baffling. Commit to AA and you will find a fellowship and support network that will amaze you.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you read the book Alcoholics Anonymous? It's online and online in audio form.

Best wishes,
No I haven't. I guess maybe I should!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is just fantastic! Sounds like so many great things are coming from recovery. Many probably unimagineable for you before. I am really wanting to get to meetings too, just have not taken the leap.... It's kinda like that call you don't want to make, or that "homework" you have to do...I know once I go I will be glad. I just hope I find a great group right off the bat